IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 05:21 PM
modlife
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
How do those vents provide cooling (i.e. providing fresh air) to the bbk?? One would think the vents would need to be located infront of the wheel wells for that to occur
Seriously? Air pressure drops behind the vent, sucks in cool air... Physics much?
Old 01-16-14, 06:12 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lmao, some people need to learn how to google before they post. When have you ever seen a fender vent in front of the wheel??
Old 01-16-14, 07:05 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lawl fender vent in front of the wheel hahaha

i think (at least i hope to think) he meant brake duct

the fender vent will allow better airflow between brake duct and fender hence better cooling

not even physics, just simply common sense

like a computer...u got intake fan and exhaust fan to maximize airflow
Old 01-16-14, 09:02 AM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this is the design we are putting into effect.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-primered.jpg   Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-6pict0151.jpg   Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-319fenderson.jpg  

Last edited by peyman; 01-16-14 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-16-14, 09:44 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 01-16-14, 12:57 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peyman
exactly my thoughts, our cars look too clean & simple for vented fenders, thats why im wondering, with a full wald kit, lowered, red popin bbk, can i pull off these vented fenders without it looking out of place... i duno....
do i want my car to be different then all the other isx50's on the road, yes.... so hmm... guess we'll see what happens
either vented fenders or vented hood ( but a custom one )
You and I are going to look like twins, currently building custom vents for my hood, as well as the fender vents. Did I mention I have a wald front lip and skirts on the way, and i'm molding my spoiler currently. Anyways, I think it will good man, aggressive and different but still good!
Old 01-16-14, 03:46 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
You and I are going to look like twins, currently building custom vents for my hood, as well as the fender vents. Did I mention I have a wald front lip and skirts on the way, and i'm molding my spoiler currently. Anyways, I think it will good man, aggressive and different but still good!
ha thats funny. we will be twins, ive been debating telling them to custom make a vented hood for me too
Old 01-16-14, 04:34 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my buddy did this...project may be for sale since he bought a 67' and 68' RS/SS Camaro. He has a Wald front lip custom carbon fibered for sale also.
Another member from the east coast NELOC crew.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-james-1.jpg   Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-james-3.jpg   Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-james-side-view.jpg   Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?-is-fender.jpg  
Old 01-16-14, 11:17 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
my buddy did this...project may be for sale since he bought a 67' and 68' RS/SS Camaro. He has a Wald front lip custom carbon fibered for sale also.
Another member from the east coast NELOC crew.
wow dude that last pic of the all black is.... WOW. any more pics of it?
that fender looks hella sick
do you have any front shots of his car, wondering how agressive his front end is?
im worried my car doesnt look agresseive enough to pull off the vented fenders

not really feelin the first car thats primered, doesnt flow at all

Last edited by peyman; 01-16-14 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 11:56 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by modlife
Seriously? Air pressure drops behind the vent, pulling out hot air... Physics much?
I corrected your statement.

The function of the vent at its location behind the wheel is to dissipate heat/hot gasses, not provide cooling. Those are two entirely different concepts. To "cool" your brakes, you will need to run ducting from a source that preferably provides non-turbulent air (i.e. front airdam). Air circulation within wheel wells happens to be turbulent and swirls violently in commercial application such as our IS.

Come at me bro, I've got multiple engineering degrees!
Old 01-20-14, 06:00 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I corrected your statement.

The function of the vent at its location behind the wheel is to dissipate heat/hot gasses, not provide cooling. Those are two entirely different concepts. To "cool" your brakes, you will need to run ducting from a source that preferably provides non-turbulent air (i.e. front airdam). Air circulation within wheel wells happens to be turbulent and swirls violently in commercial application such as our IS.

Come at me bro, I've got multiple engineering degrees!
It's all semantics. If you pull out hot air, is it not replaced with cooler air? "Sucking" isn't the right way to describe it, but the concept is clear. Fender vents provide a "passive" cooling function, where air dam ducting provides an "active" cooling function, from what I understand from your post.
Old 01-20-14, 08:44 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
It's all semantics. If you pull out hot air, is it not replaced with cooler air? "Sucking" isn't the right way to describe it, but the concept is clear. Fender vents provide a "passive" cooling function, where air dam ducting provides an "active" cooling function, from what I understand from your post.
No, it's not semantics. It's fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. If you understood the bernoullis principle, you may agree with me. But hey, believe what you want.

Science aside, just like how some on this forum translate increased growl from adding an intake to increased power and better acceleration, fender vents have the same placeobo effect with "cooling". Our car's brakes do not produce enough excessive hot brake gases to produce brake fade during everyday driving, or even the occasional track day. Fender vents therefore are purely for aesthetics b/c they are not needed.
Old 01-20-14, 09:48 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I think rather than arguing about the science behind the vents, the real discussion should be:

Will the vents actually provide any increase in braking performance on this IS application?
And if so - will this IS actually be tracked and the vents put to proper use?

I'm all for making a car "your own" - but when goofy (imo) aesthetics are added, it's kind kind of corny.
Goes right along side of the fake/non-functional hood scoops.

Just my friendly opinion.
Old 01-20-14, 10:52 AM
sm1ke
Racer

No, it's not semantics. It's fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. If you understood Bernoulli's principle, you may agree with me. But hey, believe what you want.

Science aside, just like how some on this forum translate increased growl from adding an intake to increased power and better acceleration, fender vents have the same placebo effect with "cooling". Our car's brakes do not produce enough excessive hot brake gases to produce brake fade during everyday driving, or even the occasional track day. Fender vents therefore are purely for aesthetics b/c they are not needed.
I genuinely want to understand this, so don't take offence. In the post you corrected, you said that hot air is being pulled out. Wouldn't that equate to lower temps/cooler air?

Help a lowly tech writer out
Old 01-20-14, 09:19 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FI4runner
I think rather than arguing about the science behind the vents, the real discussion should be:

Will the vents actually provide any increase in braking performance on this IS application?
And if so - will this IS actually be tracked and the vents put to proper use?

I'm all for making a car "your own" - but when goofy (imo) aesthetics are added, it's kind kind of corny.
Goes right along side of the fake/non-functional hood scoops.

Just my friendly opinion.
While it MIGHT release and lower the temp of the braking area, most of the things we do to our cars don't really do much for higher HP or higher MPH. Very minimal at the least. Most is for aesthetics and slight performance.

Quick Reply: Custom Vented Fenders possibly in production; suggestions?