IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote Starter for 2012 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 05:59 PM
JRGUSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Starter for 2012 IS350

Apologies in advance for the length of this message.

As a quick intro, since this is my first post... I purchased my first Lexus product back in July 2013 and have been enamored with it ever since. It is a Tungsten Pearl IS350 F-Sport in excellent condition and still under warranty. Had around 11k miles on it. Got a pretty good deal on it too. So far I've had very little, if anything, to complain about. Had the headlights replaced because of the bubbling issue with the gunmetal paint on top of the DRL LED strip. Outside of that, no other changes have been made...yet. Have already ordered replacement LEDs from VLEDs for several exterior bulbs. Will install those in the coming weeks. But that's not my biggest concern.

I recently purchased a Viper 4205v 2-way Remote Start from BestBuy online. The reason I bought it from there was because it had a packaged deal where Geek Squad would install it; plus it is considered an "Authorized Dealer" which was relevant for the Viper warranty aspect. I also assumed BestBuy would be decent at the install because...well...they do it regularly. Anyhow, I picked up the starter from BB today and scheduled an install in about a week. While in the Geek Squad "garage" setting up the install, I got the feeling that this guy was some dude who was there to get his paycheck and that was it. As a business owner, I know I can be a little judgmental about work ethic and such, but I just got the vibe that meticulous attention to detail was not in his job description. So this feeling prompted me to look online more about the starters, issues that arise when installing these remote systems into the complex electrical/control systems of the Lexus IS, and BestBuy's installation practices. Let's just say I don't feel anymore comfortable with these guys hacking up my complicated electrical system after reading posts on this forum and elsewhere.

That all said...
1) Am I on the right track with regards to a remote starter (ONLY need a remote starter, nothing flashy)?
2) Would YOU trust BestBuy to do the install? If not, any recommendations for the Charlotte, NC, metro area?
3) I love my car!

As mentioned before, I've had very little issues with this car and hope to keep it that way. The remote starter is not worth it if there is too much risk involved. I'd rather brave the cold and leave the driver's door unlocked than screw up a perfectly operational vehicle.
Old 01-09-14, 06:12 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

in my opinion remote start on a push button start car is a no no. rarely do they work properly
Old 01-09-14, 08:48 PM
Ben250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JRGUSC
That all said...
1) Am I on the right track with regards to a remote starter (ONLY need a remote starter, nothing flashy)?
2) Would YOU trust BestBuy to do the install? If not, any recommendations for the Charlotte, NC, metro area?
3) I love my car!
1) This can open a can of worms. Especially since you still have a factory warranty on it. Something goes wrong, its not covered. If a hack puts it in and something goes wrong, that same hack now has to fix it.
2) NO. But there are some good BB installers that are out there, but so far I only have met 1 and I still wouldn't let him touch my car
3)
Old 01-11-14, 10:34 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I think that's a pretty good remote start with a small remote. I have 5902 which has a big remote ...

You can ask the guy about installation to get a feel to know if he knows what he's doing. One common problem is the car shutting down after remote started when you step on the brakes after getting in. Ask him about this to see if he knows. Depending on the bypass, some cars will need you to press the start button (apparently the car unlocks when remote started). The bypass I used doesn't need to press the start button and doesn't unlock the car, but you need to step on the brake within certain amount of time after unlocking the car with remote. Either case should let you drive the car without restarting the car again if install correctly.

Remote start installation on a Lexus is not too different from any other car -- other than the parts are more expensive if they happen to break something.
Old 01-11-14, 10:57 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not trust Best Buy to install anything. When I needed someone to install my Viper alarm on my S2000, I had a guy from craigslist who had his own mobile service. He just wanted to be paid in cash with no record, which was fine since he charged less than half anyone else charged. Took 2.5 hours, no damage to the car, and everything worked fine. Although I ended up disabling the remote starter since if I forget to leave my car in neutral, the car might drive forward.
Old 01-11-14, 01:58 PM
coilz
Driver School Candidate

If you don't trust them, then don't do it. Can't possibly be that cold in North Carolina. Just crank up the seat warmers if you're cold. I am up here in Canada and still no auto starter on my IS250.
Old 01-12-14, 09:00 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want a remote start so bad but there isn't a flawless working one available for the 2is with out some issue
Old 01-13-14, 04:26 PM
ocean3737
Driver School Candidate

yeah.. i want one as well. I used to have them and it's hard to go back....
Old 01-13-14, 04:46 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you do a search...you'll find a few threads out there...
Old 01-13-14, 07:39 PM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

I'll try to find which one I have in my car (bought it with it already installed by previous owner).

Remote starter works just fine. I do have to press the start, followed by brake + start, to keep the car running if I use the remote starter. Car came with no documentation on it, just the two remote key fobs, took me an hour to figure it out. Must have looked crazy to people in the parking lot, lol.

Bottom line, it sounds like if you get the right kit, and know the trick, you can get it to work just fine. I'm on my 2nd winter using mine, love it.
Old 01-13-14, 09:11 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I just got my viper model 4606 remote starter installed today, i am very happy with it, love the new sleek 2ways antenna, and no need to press start button again, just step on brake pedal after i get in the car. love it now
Old 01-14-14, 04:57 AM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I just got my viper model 4606 remote starter installed today, i am very happy with it, love the new sleek 2ways antenna, and no need to press start button again, just step on brake pedal after i get in the car. love it now
Nice. If I touched the brake my car would just shut off. How is your range? I've been able to start my car from almost anywhere, even inside buildings. maybe 100-125 yards.
Old 01-14-14, 10:46 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BestBuys in Canada doesn't do job like these, but seeing that they can't even give proper advice/diagnosis on computers I wouldn't trust them with anything

I have CompuStar 1WAY-G6....very simple (starts car, opens trunk, locks/unlocks) and I'm very satisfied. The remote is small (smaller than my Lexus key fob)
I hav the Idatalinks BLADETB bypass module, and I do require 2 taps of the start button before putting my foot on the brake, as my car unlocks when remote started

It really depends on your personal needs. Some of my friends find it "useless" to get a remote starter, some even said "why would you waste money on something so stupid". However it all depends on you and what makes your drives more convenient.

My car is parked outside basically 24/7, and in the mornings the car is freezing cold (especially the last 2 weeks here in Toronto). I used to always either start the car and let it warm 2-5min before driving or run out in PJ's and start the car then going back inside to get ready for work. Either way it wastes time and it's cold. Now I remote start from inside the house roughly 5min before leaving and the car is driveable once I leave. Of course I don't expect car to be fully warmed up, but the point is to make it driveable. Then after work I take the Go Train back uptown where I would remote start the vehicle as soon as the train arrives at my station. Then when I walked out and reach my car, it's driveable again (roughly 2-3min time in between; don't need to wait for idle to die down and it's not freezing anymore (when I say freezing, I mean temps of -15 to -25 "C")

Not to mention I can enjoy my own exhaust start up note

Last edited by reyoasian; 01-14-14 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 11:26 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarrant64
Nice. If I touched the brake my car would just shut off. How is your range? I've been able to start my car from almost anywhere, even inside buildings. maybe 100-125 yards.
We'll I don't know about the range, but expect up to 1 mile, because I don't want to pay extra for smart start monthly, but love the new antenna, it sleek and small mount along side with rear view mirror
The shop I got it install is one of the viper preferred authorized dealer, they did very pro, there are no sight of the panel had been removed, they put every panels back like it never been taking off, took them all day to do it.

Edit: my car not shut off when I step on brake, everything work like normal hiiii

Last edited by ohiois350; 01-14-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 03:51 PM
eddysoares
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 07 is250 and work at a shop in RI that installs remote starters. I would not go to best buy mainly because most techs i've met there are just regular guys who passed the mecp certs and some best buy training. I would say contact compustar or viper and see where the closest dealer is near you. I personally use the compustar drone and ez-go system with the ez go only activated when the starter is on.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter for 2012 IS350