IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats - Caution

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 12:50 PM
boystar22
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats - Caution

Hey guys! This is my first post since I joined. I bought my car back in November and love it!

On my previous car I had the WeatherTech digital floor mats and loved them. They cover all the carpet and are easy to keep clean. Not too long after I bought my IS I purchased a set for it as well. Now onto today.

I figured I should give everyone a word of caution. I had the accelerator get stuck under the mat after a brief WOT moment. Nothing bad happened and I can attest that the brake override does work as it killed the throttle anytime I pressed the brake. Once I was able to pull over into a parking lot and put it in park I killed the engine. Fairly quickly figured out that the mat was the cause and pushed it back under the pedal and haven't had a problem since. It is completely 100% not the cars fault, and it's a poor design of the mat. I checked the mat retention hooks and they were where they should be. The floor mat is just tall enough in the back for the accelerator to slip behind it. It should really be taller to prevent that.

Figured I should give a heads up to anyone that has looked at or was considering these that it is a possibility.
Old 01-09-14, 01:03 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boystar22
Hey guys! This is my first post since I joined. I bought my car back in November and love it!

On my previous car I had the WeatherTech digital floor mats and loved them. They cover all the carpet and are easy to keep clean. Not too long after I bought my IS I purchased a set for it as well. Now onto today.

I figured I should give everyone a word of caution. I had the accelerator get stuck under the mat after a brief WOT moment. Nothing bad happened and I can attest that the brake override does work as it killed the throttle anytime I pressed the brake. Once I was able to pull over into a parking lot and put it in park I killed the engine. Fairly quickly figured out that the mat was the cause and pushed it back under the pedal and haven't had a problem since. It is completely 100% not the cars fault, and it's a poor design of the mat. I checked the mat retention hooks and they were where they should be. The floor mat is just tall enough in the back for the accelerator to slip behind it. It should really be taller to prevent that.

Figured I should give a heads up to anyone that has looked at or was considering these that it is a possibility.
thanks good to know. Thats actually the first thing i would wanna get once i get my IS so that i dont ruin the orginal carpets. Can i ask how much u payed for the matts? and did u get them in the back too including the trunk?
Old 01-09-14, 01:14 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

This also happens with the Infiniti FX35, and 95.5-2004 Toyota Tacomas. You have to cut out the portion around the gas pedal.
In my old FX35 it happened about 3 times and scared the ever loving **** out of me.
Old 01-09-14, 01:31 PM
boystar22
Driver

Originally Posted by P128sniper
thanks good to know. Thats actually the first thing i would wanna get once i get my IS so that i dont ruin the orginal carpets. Can i ask how much u payed for the matts? and did u get them in the back too including the trunk?
I paid $197 for them through Amazon because I had a gift card. The amazon price is more expensive but with free shipping compared to the price direct from WeatherTech. Honestly I think the prices total out the same.

I did get the four-piece set and the back seat mats fit great. In my last car (coupe) the rear mats were a little tall and the front seats had a hard time sliding over them. These fit perfect. I didn't opt for the trunk mat because I didn't like that it only covered the carpet area and not the "wings" on the sides of the trunk opening.
Old 01-09-14, 02:18 PM
lex2nv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up i was looking into these.
Old 01-09-14, 02:28 PM
cxc511
Driver School Candidate

Good to know. I bought set of these for my girlfriend's IS 250 for Christmas a few years ago. She has not experience any issues yet but I will definitely check this out the next time I am in her car.
Old 01-09-14, 02:30 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the heads up as well! I have the OEM all weather on my IS350 but the wife's rx350 has Weathertech so I will have to check to make sure her is OK.
Anyhow, the cheapest AUTOACCESSORIESGARAGE. They usually have 15-20% off coupon code (but you have to call to order). Free shipping just like Amazon but they are from IL so no sale tax for many of us (especially 9.5% for me here in CA).
Old 01-09-14, 02:32 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

First, glad that no one got hurt. Second, glad to hear that the Brake Override System worked too.

Did you have the carpet mat (OEM) removed prior to installing the Weathertech mats? Stacking mats can make it seem like it rides too high with an increase chance of gas pedal being stuck.

Also after the whole unintended accelerator fiasco, I always check my gas pedal WOT when the car is off to make sure it doesn't get stuck.
Old 01-09-14, 02:40 PM
boystar22
Driver

Originally Posted by cxc511
Good to know. I bought set of these for my girlfriend's IS 250 for Christmas a few years ago. She has not experience any issues yet but I will definitely check this out the next time I am in her car.
I believe under normal average operating conditions it shouldn't be a problem. It was the fact that I pressed the pedal all the way to the floor, and clicked it for the kick-down that caused it to stick. So for a driver who never does that it wouldn't be a problem, but at one point or another we usually have to do that so it is a safety concern.

Originally Posted by liquidz
First, glad that no one got hurt. Second, glad to hear that the Brake Override System worked too.

Did you have the carpet mat (OEM) removed prior to installing the Weathertech mats? Stacking mats can make it seem like it rides too high with an increase chance of gas pedal being stuck.
No carpet mats installed. My car didn't come with mats when I purchased it, thats why i was so quick to order the WeatherTech ones.
Old 01-09-14, 02:46 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, most weathertech mats have the lip up near the pedal. That was the reason I went with the OEM plus I dont really need full protection that the mats offer.
Old 01-09-14, 04:47 PM
willSFP
Driver

If anyone is on a budget, I recommend these floor liners from eBay. They only fit the RWD 2IS. Fitment is 95% and is great quality surprisingly. One of my favorite mods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-CLEAN-RUBBER-ALL-WEATHER-BLACK-FLOOR-MAT-LINER-TRAY-06-09-Lexus-IS250-IS350-/181206671362?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIS250&hash=item2a30c26002&vxp=mtr
Old 01-09-14, 06:33 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

ill stick to the oem mats
Old 01-09-14, 08:16 PM
ChiLexus10
Rookie

I have these and no issues at all
Old 01-09-14, 08:30 PM
Ben250
Driver School Candidate

I paid $197 for them through Amazon because I had a gift card. The amazon price is more expensive but with free shipping compared to the price direct from WeatherTech. Honestly I think the prices total out the same.
For $197 did you get floor mats or floor liners? I have Weathertech floor liners in mine and it clears
Old 01-09-14, 08:46 PM
iLLY
Driver School Candidate

but weathertech floors look soo cleannn!!!

Quick Reply: WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats - Caution