2009 IS250 Center Vents help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 12:50 PM
chaboiBLu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 IS250 Center Vents help

Hello there,

I've came across an issue where I can not remove the center vent on top of the NAV console. I checked on youtube and ran across one video which showed how to remove the vent by using a flat head screw driver and pulling the clip down until it clicked.

Well.. when I pulled the clip down, I broke it. I actually broke 2 of them which are the more easier accessible ones closest to the center of the vent. The other 2 that are farthest apart doesn't even click in place when I pull the tabs down.

So I came up with a genius idea to cut up an old credit card and stick it in place to keep the clips from going back up.. that failed..

Has anyone ran into the same issue as myself? Any tips on removing this vent?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-13, 02:19 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I used my trusty, little hooked pick to help pull out the top right corner first. The key is inserting it into where the top right tab area is and pull towards yourself. Here were my tools of choice :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ir-w-pics.html
Old 12-21-13, 02:36 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I used my trusty, little hooked pick to help pull out the top right corner first. The key is inserting it into where the top right tab area is and pull towards yourself. Here were my tools of choice :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ir-w-pics.html
+1. After you get it off, it will be easier to understand how the clip works the second time around. I was so annoyed though I broke off all the clips except one. Still holds fine without any rattles and i can easily remove it in 5 seconds now (my interior is always being taken apart for more mods so didnt want to deal with the center vent)
Old 12-22-13, 08:00 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chaboiBLu
Has anyone ran into the same issue as myself? Any tips on removing this vent?
Yes, I have done it but learned my lesson after breaking 1 of the 4 clips. I was able to get the other clips to go down after watching the video.

I'm not sure how yours is going to work since you have broken 2 clips, maybe just do what I do with 2 screw drivers, and you'll need another person. What I did was after other clips go down and locked in that position, I insert a small screwdriver (covered with electrical tape) between the dash and the vent above the broken clip, and push the clip down as if it's in the down position. While holding it down, I pry the vent out. Be careful, you might damage the dash with this method if you dash is crumbling already.
Old 12-26-13, 08:25 PM
senorsquid
Rookie

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Yes, I have done it but learned my lesson after breaking 1 of the 4 clips. I was able to get the other clips to go down after watching the video.

I'm not sure how yours is going to work since you have broken 2 clips, maybe just do what I do with 2 screw drivers, and you'll need another person. What I did was after other clips go down and locked in that position, I insert a small screwdriver (covered with electrical tape) between the dash and the vent above the broken clip, and push the clip down as if it's in the down position. While holding it down, I pry the vent out. Be careful, you might damage the dash with this method if you dash is crumbling already.
I did the same because my clips wouldnt stay down, but I put the screw drivers in threw the vent while pulling it out. Definitely not as easy as videos online make it look but the hook tool is money well spent (until you scratch something with it, like I have more than once).
Old 12-30-13, 10:32 AM
chaboiBLu
Driver School Candidate

I was able to get the clips to stay down after using a metal flat head. My mistake was to use a nylon spudger http://goo.gl/7J2opB (prying tool for computers) to pull the clips down. BTW, I'm a tech savvy, not auto enthusiast lol. The spudger wasn't strong enough, and when I attempted to pull the clips down, it would bend back and release the tab which would then make that annoying ting sound of fail.

Originally Posted by pmanliu
+1. After you get it off, it will be easier to understand how the clip works the second time around. I was so annoyed though I broke off all the clips except one. Still holds fine without any rattles and i can easily remove it in 5 seconds now (my interior is always being taken apart for more mods so didnt want to deal with the center vent)
Agreed. I broke off two center clips with a smile on my face and left the other two in the down position. No issues or rattles as those clips appear to be for extra security when the actual part of the vent that locks it in place is the bottom of the vent. Removing the center vent is painless now =)