IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible water pump going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 08:11 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this PDF from Lexus on water pump inspection and diagnosis tips. Page 3 note "The seals and mating rings are lubricated by the surrounding coolant ; a small amount of coolant leakage is normal" I have a 2008 IS250 with 60500 miles on it when I took it in for the wiper nut recall I told my SA I noticed this small amount of pinkish crust around the weep hole on the water pump and a little bit of splatter of the same stuff on the passenger side of the motor they checked it out and told me it was fine and that it was normal. Said too keep an eye on it if I notice more leakage to bring it in before the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty expires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
waterpump (1).pdf (1,001.2 KB, 807 views)

Last edited by Meguerra; 12-11-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 08:51 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Meguerra
Read this PDF from Lexus on water pump inspection and diagnosis tips. Page 3 note "The seals and mating rings are lubricated by the surrounding coolant ; a small amount of coolant leakage is normal" I have a 2008 IS250 with 60500 miles on it when I took it in for the wiper nut recall I told my SA I noticed this small amount of pinkish crust around the weep hole on the water pump and a little bit of splatter of the same stuff on the passenger side of the motor they checked it out and told me it was fine and that it was normal. Said too keep an eye on it if I notice more leakage to bring it in before the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty expires.
sweet pdf! I've been consistently checking my engine bay for any leaks. I'm concerned since i'll be hitting 70K in a few months. I do notice white / light pink crust around my coolant tank, and then some white stains around the fans behind the radiator. I'm presuming this is normal but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Should I take this to the dealer? Will they do the water pump inspection for free since it would be covered under warranty?
Old 12-11-13, 10:46 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by g2bme
sweet pdf! I've been consistently checking my engine bay for any leaks. I'm concerned since i'll be hitting 70K in a few months. I do notice white / light pink crust around my coolant tank, and then some white stains around the fans behind the radiator. I'm presuming this is normal but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Should I take this to the dealer? Will they do the water pump inspection for free since it would be covered under warranty?
The inspection will only be free if the water pump fails and your still under warranty. Otherwise there's a diagnostic fee, which at my dealership is $120.
Old 12-12-13, 06:05 AM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell. More conflicting information.

I have yet to see the leak myself. I think I'm going to find the damn thing and try this paper towel test myself.

I honestly don't know what to think or to do. Everything seems to conflict some piece of information I got.
Old 12-12-13, 06:22 AM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on keeping investigating this myself and using the PDF that was linked above to try and diagnose this. If it seems that it is "bad" and if i decide to do this myself. Is it worth getting an OEM part? Or would something like this be acceptable?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...3144_754793_0_

suggestions on where to get one?

Looks like a lot more than "4 bolts" but from what I see it doesn't look that bad. But I still think the hardest part will be getting to it.
Old 12-12-13, 09:49 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

with all the conflicting information only one thing is certain with the 2IS: your waterpump will eventually fail.

I would go OEM parts with anything important under the hood.
Old 12-12-13, 10:43 AM
Meguerra
Driver

Originally Posted by g2bme
Yes they will charge a diagnosis fee if you bring it in for just that reason alone ($134 at Lexus Escondido)
for sure. I was not charged the diagnosis fee maybe I lucked out or maybe because I was showing some interest in a upgrade program they got going on right now and I test drove the new 2014 IS250 while I was there waiting for my service to be done which took 2 hrs.They washed my car and filed up the tank (I was on empty) same thing two months back when I did the trunk latch recall. Awesome

As far as water pump going bad I will just keep an eye on it and see if notice anymore leakage or any of the other symptoms that have been talked about on here. Bottom line is it is normal to see a small amount of leakage. If the leakage is more frequent and keeps getting worse than I would take it in to get the water pump replaced. OEM parts all the way.
Old 12-12-13, 12:06 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Yes they will charge a diagnosis fee if you bring it in for just that reason alone ($134 at Lexus Escondido)
for sure. I was not charged the diagnosis fee maybe I lucked out or maybe because I was showing some interest in a upgrade program they got going on right now and I test drove the new 2014 IS250 while I was there waiting for my service to be done which took 2 hrs.They washed my car and filed up the tank (I was on empty) same thing two months back when I did the trunk latch recall. Awesome

As far as water pump going bad I will just keep an eye on it and see if notice anymore leakage or any of the other symptoms that have been talked about on here. Bottom line is it is normal to see a small amount of leakage. If the leakage is more frequent and keeps getting worse than I would take it in to get the water pump replaced. OEM parts all the way.
Were you under 70K? If so, that's why they didn't charge you. It falls under the power train warranty. The water pump will fail but there are known and documented issues about leaking via the Lexus TSB lists. I've done a majority of the major TSB's - even the cam gear recall on my is250 (long story that I posted about it on another thread). Everything was taken care of because of warranty. My major concern is that I'm about to hit 70K in a matter of months and wanted to get this taken care of asap if there is leakage.

I don't THINK there is because i see the usual white stains and coolant reservoir leaking but nothing really from the water pump area. I don't see any pink stains or crusting so I'm presuming it's good; however i want it documented. Lastly, the post with the PDF about the towel test seems interesting, but i can't seem to find WHERE to put the towel?
Old 12-12-13, 12:11 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I know that the OEM water pump is pricey, mainly the labor...but what's $500-800 to SAVE the motor from overheating on a HWY with no service around and possible $1000s in new headgaskets or WORSE? Seeing these water pumps are nearly a certainty to fail (leak, bearing noise, or worse), I'd like that peace of mind personally.
Old 12-12-13, 02:05 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Here are some quick pics I snapped. Am I looking in the right place?
Attached Thumbnails Possible water pump going bad?-image-3722151253.jpg   Possible water pump going bad?-image-3896816774.jpg   Possible water pump going bad?-image-771821680.jpg  
Old 12-12-13, 05:56 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

no idea wtf that is.

i just know the water pump is placed right in front of the engine. like bolted to the front of it. and looks like and S shape metal piece a little shorter than your arm.
Old 12-13-13, 07:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OP said he had 83,000 mi.

Dealer replaced mine @ 48,000 miles under the powertrain warranty when doing the carbon build up CSP.

Last edited by tex2670; 12-13-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-13-13, 07:44 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Replacing the water pump is actually easier than you think. I recently replaced it on my sisters 2008 IS250 and I got the job done in 2 hours. Also dont purchase the pump from toyota/lexus, instead purchase it of ebay (I bought it for $110.00 shipped) and look for an Aisin pump. They are the OEM manufatureres and once you receive the pump you'll notice its actually a toyota part with the toyota and part number etched off.
Old 12-13-13, 10:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The inspection will only be free if the water pump fails and your still under warranty. Otherwise there's a diagnostic fee, which at my dealership is $120.
Bring it in for an oil change, and tell them you are worried about the water pump. I've never been charged a diagnostic fee when I asked them to look at something while the car was in for service. Always shows up on the bill "Customer complains of _____. Could not replicate condition. N/C"
Old 12-13-13, 03:29 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Replacing the water pump is actually easier than you think. I recently replaced it on my sisters 2008 IS250 and I got the job done in 2 hours. Also dont purchase the pump from toyota/lexus, instead purchase it of ebay (I bought it for $110.00 shipped) and look for an Aisin pump. They are the OEM manufatureres and once you receive the pump you'll notice its actually a toyota part with the toyota and part number etched off.
Got a DIY?

Quick Reply: Possible water pump going bad?