Premature wear tire shoulder - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 10:22 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Premature wear tire shoulder - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Hello all,

Took my car in for an oil change today and the tech guy told me my front tires shoulders are almost bald. I was very surprised as these tires are only less than 2.5 years old with less than 35k km. I took a look with him and to my surprise it looks pretty bad. The rears are fine with plenty of tread tho.

Anyone else with these tires have the same issue ?
Old 10-27-13, 10:45 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

This is a known front tire wear issue. My OEM Bridgestone tires wore all the way to the belt by 30K miles in that spot while the rest of the tire looked brand new. I replaced the Bridgestones with the same Michelin tires. Before I had the Michelin tires installed I had the car aligned. I am not sure about the newer years but the '08 only has a toe adjustment. My alignment was close to spot on with all of the values near the middle. I had the tech add toe in. The Michelins lasted 35K on the front when I replaced them. I didn't replace them because of the wear you are having. The Michelin's started having chunks coming off of them. The increase in toe did seem to improve on the inside wear. I now have Yokohama YK580 tires (made for Discount Tire) and really like them. The rear tires do not have this problem and will last 70K miles. If you want to get more mileage out of your tires you can have them rotated but since they are directional they have tho be removed from the rim and swapped.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-27-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 12:26 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i have same problem, in my opinion it's Lexus bad design causing it. If my new tires get messed up, I am getting rid of this car. My alignment is spot on according to Lexus.
Old 10-27-13, 01:27 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carlos3366
i have same problem, in my opinion it's Lexus bad design causing it. If my new tires get messed up, I am getting rid of this car. My alignment is spot on according to Lexus.
It's a known issue... that's why they put stickers on the cars when you buy them stating that the tires will only last 20K miles. It only affects the front tires... The rears last a long time. Another option is buying non staggered wheels so that you can rotate them. I saw some guy with a Corvette that did this. He purchased another set of front rims and used them on the back... of course, a new set of tires for a Corvette costs around 1200-1900. A new set of front tires on this car is around 300-500... I would just buy new tires... especially over the money you would lose trading the car in.
Old 10-27-13, 03:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

As long as no cords are showing, I'd have a tire shop flip flop the tires from one side to the other. This would involve dismounting the tires off the wheels and reinstalling them on the opposite side.

GL!
Old 10-27-13, 04:32 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

I bought my tires at Sam's and the guys there are pretty good with tires. They don't look too happy when I show up for tire rotations but they always do a good job. The rims take a lot of abuse with this type of rotating method.
Old 10-28-13, 06:13 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
As long as no cords are showing, I'd have a tire shop flip flop the tires from one side to the other. This would involve dismounting the tires off the wheels and reinstalling them on the opposite side.

GL!
I would do this. I did this with my last set of tires and got 40,000 miles out of them. They still had tread left but weren't very good in the snow.
Old 10-29-13, 09:25 AM
goldfish8
Driver School Candidate

I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus as well and they seemed to do the same thing except maybe not as badly. They lasted 52k km's before I replaced them. The fronts still had tread in the in the middle and usable but the rears were wearing down.
Old 10-29-13, 12:32 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

So I took it to Kal Tire yesterday as instructed by Michellin for a diagnois and safe to say I was no impressed. Not only did they not care about the chunking on the tire, all they did was blame my alignment for the problem. There is no way my alignment can be that off to cause both front tire to be bald on both shoulder AND chunking. All Kal Tire did was try to sell me an unnecessary alignment.

I can't believe MIchellin is not acknowledging this issue. This has gotten to be a safety concern and they are trying to play it off like its nothing.
Old 10-29-13, 01:04 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panda327
So I took it to Kal Tire yesterday as instructed by Michellin for a diagnois and safe to say I was no impressed. Not only did they not care about the chunking on the tire, all they did was blame my alignment for the problem. There is no way my alignment can be that off to cause both front tire to be bald on both shoulder AND chunking. All Kal Tire did was try to sell me an unnecessary alignment.

I can't believe MIchellin is not acknowledging this issue. This has gotten to be a safety concern and they are trying to play it off like its nothing.
I purchased my tires at Discount Tire and complained about the chunking as well. They told me that it is not a warranty item or safety hazard unless the belt is showing and that there is no way Michelin will take them back. Discount basically warrantied the tires for me by giving me a steep discount on a new set of Yokohama tires.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-29-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 07:45 PM
OneSin
Driver School Candidate

I had the OEM Bridgestones and this is what it looked like after only 28k km.

Old 10-30-13, 03:20 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Default i don't think is a tire issue, Lexus has a bad design in the IS250s

for sure, I had the same problem. I can't be the tires.
Old 10-30-13, 05:25 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

It is not the tires, it is the OEM alignment specs. This is a well known issue.
Old 10-30-13, 05:53 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

The shoulder wear can attribute to the OEM specs but the chunking and peeling of the tire is abo****ely not due to OEM alignment specs. I did some research online and it seems like the issue IS due to the tires. There seems to be a bad patch of AS PLUS around 2010. I bough these tires in 2011 of April and so far have put 30,000 KILOMETRES on it. That's only 18,000 miles. There is no way a tire should be degraded to this point in only 18,000 miles no matter what the OEM spec is.

Nevertheless, I took it to a different Kal Tire dealer and they acknowledged the issue is the Tire and not my alignment. I will be receiving a set of new tires from Michellin. very happy

Last edited by panda327; 10-30-13 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 07:17 PM
NightVince
Rookie

i got the same michelin tires and this does happen to my front tires. the trick is to get them from a dealer that will warranty the tire itself for the rated amount of mileage. this is why i go to costco for my tires because they will basically "pro-rate" my tires and get me a replacement at a cheaper cost. they just see how much tire i have left in the middle and give me money back towards the new tires.

Night

Quick Reply: Premature wear tire shoulder - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus