IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scary problem - unexplained acceleration in my is250

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 12:33 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Grambo
I have NEVER had a check engine light on yet. When I explained the problem to the dealer, they also mentioned that maybe the rpm's were high because it was trying to warm up....HOWEVER...it is not supposed to be enough to allow your car to drive at 40mph for miles. It also should not launch forward at a stop light (not enough to burn tires, but enough to make it uncomfortable). They are keeping the vehicle for another day to do more tests.

I have had several cars before, including other luxury and sports car. I am from Connecticut and have never had a car do this before. My BMW 335i didn't do it. My 350z didn't do it. If this is what Lexus considers normal and safe, then I'm selling the car as soon as I get it back from the shop.
Regardless of what you are thinking, it is good that you have not seen a check engine light. That would mean that all the electronics in your car are working exactly as they should, and every single mechanism that is monitored by a sensor or ECU is not reporting anything abnormal. Don't be alarmed when they return your vehicle back to you and tell you they didn't find anything wrong...

You ask if 1500 RPM is enough to get these vehicles moving...well that answer is yes. When I go to the drag strip, I power brake my car to about 1000-1500 RPM for the best launch possible. So the launch I aim for at the drag strip is the same you feel when your car's idle is at 1500 RPM when it is warming up...even after the car has warmed up, the idle speed is enough to get the vehicle moving to at least 20mph

The reason you think your other vehicles didn't do this is probably because you didn't notice that they did this. On another cold winter day, jump in a friend's non-Lexus and you will notice they all do the same thing. I am sorry this is so frightening to you, maybe a vehicle with less low end torque and less aggressive low end gearing is more suited for you... jk
Old 12-03-13, 12:36 PM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rpm's are high because the car is still warming up is correct, it will move forward , not launch tho, this happens on our cars , at a stop light when not at operating temp , put car in neutral and see how high rpm's go, then you will understand whats going on.
Old 12-03-13, 01:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
This is a luxury vehicle, and it will try and do a lot of things for you, like keep a constant speed if you take your foot off the gas. It is not accelerating out of control like it is flooring itself. I wonder if your previous car was a manual transmission...
How does a luxury car keep a constant speed for you, if you take your foot off the gas, and don't have the cruise control on?
Old 12-03-13, 02:11 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How does a luxury car keep a constant speed for you, if you take your foot off the gas, and don't have the cruise control on?
What I was trying to point out is that these vehicles will not downshift to try and slow the car down if you take your foot off the gas...they will keep the highest gear possible to allow the vehicle to glide almost with the least resistance possible, then once re-applying the gas it will find the correct gear per the throttle input
Old 12-03-13, 02:43 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From watching the video I noticed that the car isn't warmed up enough. In many cases the car will not shift into higher gears until the car is sufficiently warmed up.
Old 12-03-13, 04:46 PM
Grambo
Driver School Candidate

So you're telling me that every single one of your cars, when cold, can drive on its own at 40 to 50 mph? I highly doubt it....and if so, please go take a video and post it. The NHTSA would flip if this was a standard among Lexus.

And to the comment about getting another car with lower torque....this lexus is one of the lowest I've ever owned. Never have I experienced this with another brand. I've also talked to several mechanics and 2 engineers from Ford who say this shouldn't be happening.
Old 12-03-13, 05:16 PM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

I don't think the 40-50mph is normal either. I would have to see a video of the redlight issue you were talking about, but I do have to put a decent amount of pressure on the brake while the car is still not up to temp. Otherwise it will want to start moving again. My car does have leave on its own while cold, but I wouldn't consider it harsh.
Old 12-03-13, 06:00 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Well, this is not normal. Unless you're going down hill, it shouldn't keep the same speed once you let go of the gas. But this isn't acceleration though, more like cruise control is on, which I assume it isn't.
Old 12-03-13, 06:16 PM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

Wish the video was longer. My car can coast around those speeds for a bit if the conditions are right (level road, going straight, etc.). I too have to press the brake fairly firm when I get started in the morning from a cold start. If I take my foot off the brake I feel like the car will accelerate to 15-20mph, it's just ready to go.

I've been able to get my last car, a Ford Fusion V6, to coast at speeds too without my foot on the gas. But I don't see in the video where there's an "acceleration" issue. Maybe there is a problem with it's ability to 'cruise' without cruise control on but like I said, the video is really short. I don't see the major issue (yet), and I don't see where it's anything like what happened with Toyota (which more or less was proven to not be a real thing anyways).
Old 12-03-13, 07:27 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

My car doesn't coast like that.
Old 12-03-13, 08:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I tried this out in my car today (2014 IS350). Car sat in the cold for 10 hours, ambient around 35 deg F. I started it up and put it in drive within 1 minute. Couldn't even get it to maintain 20 mph without using the gas pedal, despite the elevated RPMs. Not sure what's up with the OP's car, but I can't believe this is normal.
Old 12-03-13, 09:08 PM
BishopX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quick123
Nothing like the Toyota issue...and you do not have unintended acceleration. BTW, Toyota was completely exonerated from all of that nonsense. Even NASA couldn't find an issue with their software. And every case I have seen, the data from the car's "black box" showed the driver was hitting the gas and not the brake pedal.

It is normal for your RPMs to rise slightly sometimes. If the car is cold, it will raise RPMs to warm up quicker. If the A/C compressor turns on, it will rise slightly to compensate for the load on the motor. If you said 3,000 RPMs, then there would be concern.

And for the record, the car will move forward when you are in drive and take your foot off the brake...
I'm not sure what specific case (out of the many) you are referring to, but the case involving my friend and his family that were killed in a Lexus due to this issue was settled out of court for ~$10 million. A dollar amount that is no where close to what their lives were worth. They actually just lost a Case in Oklahoma in October of this year regarding sudden acceleration. There is obviously an issue.

I doubt that this is the same issue, but just take it to a dealer and have it fixed. Cars decelerate when you release the gas not stay the same or accelerate in speed.
Old 12-03-13, 09:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I actually experienced something similar to the OP in my old car. Never found the problem till this day.

My friend was in the car with me witnessing the problem.
Old 12-03-13, 09:57 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a NORMAL thing. I noticed on your temp display that its 38 degrees out and your vehicle isn't fully warmed up. what's happening is your engine and transmission are warming themselves up faster by idling at higher RPMs. And yes, if you happen to be in Drive while its still not warmed up it will be moving a little quicker than you will be used to, especially when you release the brake pedal from a full stop.
Old 12-03-13, 11:22 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, this is not normal. My IS350 does the same thing when it's below 50 and not fully warmed up. When I let go of my gas pedal, it will maintain speed and not even slow down. It's almost as if my foot was stilling lightly pressing the gas. It will almost coast at 1500 RPM+. I know this is not normal since I work at a Acura/Lexus dealer and I've taken their loaners to get gas or a snack from the nearby 7 Eleven and I did not notice it happening on the loaner cars. Even when cold, they coast at about 1100 RPM and slow down when I let off the gas.. This started happening to me last winter and only occurs in cold weather. Definitely not carbon build-up since I had a new motor put in this summer and the throttle body is clean, so is MAF. I do have a CEL with code P0606 which is a faulty ECU but that too has been replaced about a year ago when this started happening but it didn't fix it.

OP, let us know what Lexus says. I've had the techs at my work check it out and none of them can figure out what's wrong and claim it's "normal" but still not 100% normal.

Quick Reply: Scary problem - unexplained acceleration in my is250