IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fuel Pump Failure? Engine Code P1235

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 07:32 PM
sean0825
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump Failure? Engine Code P1235

I have a 2007 IS350 with 111000 miles. It has never given me a problem, but today it went into limp-home mode on the freeway while I was passing someone (engine power reduced, VSC and check engine lights on). I read the engine code: P1235 - Fuel Pump Circuit. I stopped and restarted the engine a few times after clearing it and it ran really rough. It finally cut off and didn't restart. I towed it to the dealer. They haven't looked at it yet, but I'm worried about them saying it's a $1500+ fuel pump failure.

I don't see much on this site about this failure. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a fuel pump failure in this vehicle. Is it a tough DIY? Sewell has the fuel pump for $922 with the discount.

Also, there's no way the camshaft timing gear, windshield wiper nut and trunk release recalls could have contributed to this, right? Those were just done 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-09-13, 08:05 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know man...could have been the gas pedal recall that did you in. Oh well shove a rag into the tank a push it off the cliff....
Old 11-09-13, 08:16 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I do not know how difficult the repair would be to do as a diy, but I did see a used pump on ebay a couple weeks ago for around $200.00. It was from a wrecked is350 being parted out. Good luck
Old 11-10-13, 12:43 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should just have to take the back seat out and it should be in the middle held on by 4 bolts or so?
Old 11-10-13, 05:13 AM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by sean0825
I have a 2007 IS350 with 111000 miles. It has never given me a problem, but today it went into limp-home mode on the freeway while I was passing someone (engine power reduced, VSC and check engine lights on). I read the engine code: P1235 - Fuel Pump Circuit. I stopped and restarted the engine a few times after clearing it and it ran really rough. It finally cut off and didn't restart. I towed it to the dealer. They haven't looked at it yet, but I'm worried about them saying it's a $1500+ fuel pump failure.

I don't see much on this site about this failure. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a fuel pump failure in this vehicle. Is it a tough DIY? Sewell has the fuel pump for $922 with the discount.

Also, there's no way the camshaft timing gear, windshield wiper nut and trunk release recalls could have contributed to this, right? Those were just done 2 weeks ago.
Does the car run ? If it runs but runs rough it can be the computer for the fuel direct injection syetem in for the engine and can make it feel like its the fuel pump make sure before the dealer ripps you off
Old 11-10-13, 09:53 AM
sean0825
6th Gear

Originally Posted by suicidesam
i don't know man...could have been the gas pedal recall that did you in. Oh well shove a rag into the tank a push it off the cliff....
Ha ha. I wish there was a gas pedal recall...I've got to find a way to make it the dealer's fault.
Old 11-10-13, 09:55 AM
sean0825
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mike33
I do not know how difficult the repair would be to do as a diy, but I did see a used pump on ebay a couple weeks ago for around $200.00. It was from a wrecked is350 being parted out. Good luck
Thanks. I've seen those as well. It doesn't seem like a common failure, so a used part wouldn't be a terrible idea.
Old 11-10-13, 09:56 AM
sean0825
6th Gear

Originally Posted by panda08
should just have to take the back seat out and it should be in the middle held on by 4 bolts or so?
I've read that the dealer charges ~$570 in labor to do this change. Wonder why it's so pricey?
Old 11-10-13, 10:01 AM
sean0825
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lexusis305
Does the car run ? If it runs but runs rough it can be the computer for the fuel direct injection syetem in for the engine and can make it feel like its the fuel pump make sure before the dealer ripps you off
The car won't run at all now. The starter works but the engine doesn't seem like it is getting fuel. It will be interesting to hear what they say tomorrow. If they insist that the fuel pump needs replacing I'll show them Sewell's price and see if they can come close. If there was a diy for fuel pump on here or someone with experience, I'd give it a go. Seems like no one else has had this problem out of warranty...
Old 11-10-13, 01:45 PM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can pull your bottom seat out and see the fuel pump house have someone try and start it while listening, and putting your hand on the housing. You should be able to hear and feel it hum when it tries to start. I would also check the fuses first. I just got my car about 2 months ago so I'm not too familiar with how to access everything yet, but that would be my first thing to do.
Old 11-10-13, 03:54 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

From my understanding there are two fuel pumps on the car. One is in the fuel tank, and lists for $343, but there is also a low pressure pump on the engine, and it lists for $1295. Not sure why the low pressure pump would be so expensive. Make sure you find out from the dealer which one is bad.
Old 11-10-13, 05:57 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^I first thought there was too as well because there are two access ports into the tank; but what I was told one is the actual pump and the other is probably the floater and sending unit. But I'd also agree with finding a cheap, used fuel pump for another IS350 and the DIY fix because pulling out the rear seat bottoms is quite easy. I'm sure there's no specialty tools needed for a simple pump replacement either.

GL!
Old 11-10-13, 10:32 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

There are 2 fuel sending units in the tank, one low pressure pump in the tank and one high pressure pump on the engine. This code refers to the electronic controls on the high pressure pump on the engine, however the high pressure pump itself is mechanical, driven by the camshaft.

I hope something just didn't get plugged in while doing one of the recalls or something. If it was something during the recalls, it would be the camshaft gear recall for sure.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (04-23-23)
Old 11-11-13, 06:12 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fuel pump went bad in my tank. I got it covered under warranty right before I went out of coverage. Its not as easy as just pulling out the back seat I will tell you that...
Old 11-11-13, 05:08 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
My fuel pump went bad in my tank. I got it covered under warranty right before I went out of coverage. Its not as easy as just pulling out the back seat I will tell you that...
What year was your car and how many miles you had on when pump went bad? Just curious...

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Failure? Engine Code P1235