IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 12:20 PM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I feel pretty confident the new pcboard will solve your issues. Keep in mind, I also bought a used navigation unit on ebay for $400, but that pcboard had crapped out too. This just felt right when it was installed. Everything will boot on immediately, and I think that's the key distinction. I never had that success when trying the other fixes, it was pretty much just hit or miss or the system was rebooting which would cause it to temporarily work. From an engineering standpoint, it makes sense why if the VGA/CPU was not seated correctly, thus the connection would not fire up. I'm really not sure how long I'll ultimately keep my car for, but hopefully this fix lasts for at least a couple of years.
Old 01-19-17, 10:55 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

If you want it last longer, you should get the better cooling fan and better thermal paste!
Old 08-11-17, 09:00 PM
Kaiden33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having that same issue with mine. Do you think installing an after market head unit would solve the problem or would the issue still be present?
Originally Posted by RPMGraphic
that's awesome!! i ended up buying a used working unit for under $500. I'm probably going to order the board as soon as i have some extra cash just in case this one goes out, i'll be ready!!
Old 08-11-17, 10:50 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

i've responded to your in other thread. The answer is "NO" due to wiring system
Old 10-01-17, 08:10 AM
Bigham
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touch screen blank but working

Hey everyone, my nav screen suddenly went full white. The radio and ALL buttons work to control everything. And even when I touch the screen it gives me feedback noise that I'm clicking stuff. But the screen stays blank white and I can't see anything. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-17, 11:47 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Out of curiosity I read this whole thread and have this to offer....
BGA is Ball Grid Array of a SMD (Surface Mount Device) and anything after 2002 or so is no longer a tin lead solder. It is lead free (pb) free and lead free solder if done incorrectly tends to crack more often as its more brittle than its former leaded product.

Key take away here; you cant mix leaded and lead free solder. No good will come of it. Trying to reflow lead free bga components by heating them is rarely if ever going to work. That and depending on the properties of the solder, it has a very different melt points. So, reheating lead free solder makes it more brittle and the only true fix is remove the component, clean the 40 to 100 pads of the pcb and the bga, apply solder paste and then reflow that paste without disrupting everything else on the pcba.

look at these images of bga solder joints.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bga+...iw=360&bih=560
Old 10-01-17, 08:21 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigham
Hey everyone, my nav screen suddenly went full white. The radio and ALL buttons work to control everything. And even when I touch the screen it gives me feedback noise that I'm clicking stuff. But the screen stays blank white and I can't see anything. Any ideas?
The problem you have is LCD power board (cost around $100). Buy it and replace your bad one and you are good to go.
Here is how the board look like
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mats...4.4.100.D0nFvz

Be careful cause they have 2 different program load in there and make sure buy correct one. You could ask seller more info
The following users liked this post:
Bigham (10-02-17)
Old 10-01-17, 08:27 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Well, if you are thinking of remove the component, I highly recommended remove all the solder lead on BGA, re-applied solder to BGA first, reflow the BGA, then apply soldering to the footprint on PCB then mounting BGA on the board and heat it up using IR rework station
It's the process that i do and so far i got really good process. I event had the mini stencil for both of them and of course i always used lead free solder (stay with manufacture recommended)
Old 10-02-17, 11:55 AM
Bigham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
The problem you have is LCD power board (cost around $100). Buy it and replace your bad one and you are good to go.
Here is how the board look like
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mats...4.4.100.D0nFvz

Be careful cause they have 2 different program load in there and make sure buy correct one. You could ask seller more info
Thank you for the help!! How can I find out what program load is for my car? I do not always trust the seller but I did email them.
Old 10-04-17, 06:26 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

The is no way to find out with out the part
Old 10-07-17, 02:51 PM
Bigham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
The is no way to find out with out the part
I opened my nav up today and took a pic of my power board. None of the sellers are replying. Any tips from here?
The following users liked this post:
ECTpwr (08-24-20)
Old 10-07-17, 08:05 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

None of those parts are BGA! That means 100% inspection of solder joints is possible. This is a good thing!

Using static precautions examine all solder joints for cracks. Best I can see none of the electrolitic caps are bulging in failure mode. Using a good light and at least 5 or maybe 10x magnification, examine the J lead solder joints and all other solder joints for cracks.

Feel fee to do multiple pictures in high resolution. That said, the connections could be an issue baring component failure is not a factor.

Also shoot pics of the other boards. If I see something strange I'll point it out.
Old 10-07-17, 09:53 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

the problem you have is no power so you should focus on the right side on the board which is power source. Most of the time, the big component with mark "V2G" causing the problem.
Old 10-09-18, 06:58 PM
beergineer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a part number or something else to reference for ali express? That link is dead and not sure what part to search for. I am looking for the part @txnarn purchased from aliexpress.

Last edited by beergineer; 10-09-18 at 07:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-10-18, 05:44 AM
RPMGraphic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by beergineer
Do you have a part number or something else to reference for ali express? That link is dead and not sure what part to search for. I am looking for the part @txnarn purchased from aliexpress.

This is where i just bought one from. Only took about a week to get here.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...534f4233Qaxn5N

Quick Reply: My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!