IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 10:55 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am finally going to tackle this project this weekend. I am going to attempt the digitizer screen first,- hoping this is the problem. Her radio controls still work from the steering wheel and nothing lights up and the air is stuck on cool, which now is a problem since the temps have dropped and she needs heat. What I am afraid of is the PC board went like everyone else. $650 seems a bit steep to have it fixed. I am curious as well as to what they actually fixed or replaced. I really hate for her to spend $ especially now that her axles are leaking too.
Old 10-05-16, 12:36 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your navi unit has similar symptoms to mine.. but then my HVAC cut out entirely after about 2 weeks..... must have known winter was coming and that I couldn't have MAX AC all winter. Anyway, the digitizer didn't do squat, so it must be a bad solder connection on the PCBA.

Originally Posted by EJW1381
I am finally going to tackle this project this weekend. I am going to attempt the digitizer screen first,- hoping this is the problem. Her radio controls still work from the steering wheel and nothing lights up and the air is stuck on cool, which now is a problem since the temps have dropped and she needs heat. What I am afraid of is the PC board went like everyone else. $650 seems a bit steep to have it fixed. I am curious as well as to what they actually fixed or replaced. I really hate for her to spend $ especially now that her axles are leaking too.
Old 10-06-16, 06:48 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Your navi unit has similar symptoms to mine.. but then my HVAC cut out entirely after about 2 weeks..... must have known winter was coming and that I couldn't have MAX AC all winter. Anyway, the digitizer didn't do squat, so it must be a bad solder connection on the PCBA.
See her HVAC is still working and all, I am afraid the issue isn't the digitizer- Ive hard of the capacitors going as well on the boards, if this is the case then I will not be fixing that. My first step is going disconnect the battery and hope it kicks back on, if this doesn't work then I will move on to the digitzer and see if that is the next problem and if that isn't the case then time to send it out and have the fix whatever is really going on.
Old 10-11-16, 06:57 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

So I think I am confused on checking the digitizer. Do I check the resistance on the back where the ribbon connects the board? Or do I check the resistance where the ribbon meets the screen? I opened up everything else and the boards seem to be fine.
Old 10-11-16, 03:50 PM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

So I went a few steps further and tested the ribbon from the display it seems to get readings when it's moved im going to contact denso and see if I can order a new ribbon. And hopefully this is the issue before I rip the digitizer apart. Here are few pictures

Old 10-12-16, 07:21 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isthrizzy

Did you ever send it out to get fixed? When you checked your digitzer did you not get a resistance? I checked resistance with a few meters, the two I used just had a setting for ohms- where my own multimeter has two settings for 200 or 2000. the two with just ohm settings read no resistance where as mine go a reading when i had it set on 2000 ohms of 446 and 1225 which is still not in the range. I am guessing I should go ahead and attempt the screen fix anyway and see if I can get it work. the only thing that could be lost here is time wise.
Old 10-12-16, 05:38 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I had similar ohms readings when I attempted the DIY circuit writer pen fix. Didn't help my situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8250992
Old 10-13-16, 11:52 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
I had similar ohms readings when I attempted the DIY circuit writer pen fix. Didn't help my situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8250992
oh man- I had my hopes up a bit here. I went and did the circuit writer pen and well I have different readings. I am getting a reading from 1 & 3 close to 1600 ohms and 2 & 4 about 455 which 2 & 4 haven't changed much. I used a different multi meter yesterday at work and I didn't get any readings as today I got those readings. Strange, I am going to put everything back together and install this tomorrow night. I hope this fixes the issue, otherwise we will be sending this out.
Old 10-13-16, 03:46 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

The problem you have is not from the touch panel. It's the board with the cable that you are trying to contact Denso. It's the main BGA with heatsink and fan on it. Most of the time, you need to re-ball the BGA and apply new thermal paste and you good to go.
Old 10-13-16, 04:54 PM
Gville350

^What does "BGA" mean in this case?
Old 10-13-16, 05:38 PM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
The problem you have is not from the touch panel. It's the board with the cable that you are trying to contact Denso. It's the main BGA with heatsink and fan on it. Most of the time, you need to re-ball the BGA and apply new thermal paste and you good to go.

i tried to contact denso but they never got back to me. I had this feeling it wasn't the screen but the ribbon. How the heck do i reball? And thermal paste? Guess I'll have to google this
Old 10-14-16, 06:12 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

the BGA is call CPU AS well. it the chips etc controlled the whole unit. just like computer need CPU to operate the system
Old 10-14-16, 08:02 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
the BGA is call CPU AS well. it the chips etc controlled the whole unit. just like computer need CPU to operate the system
Have you done this already? Or do know someone that can? I looked into and this doesn't seem like a job for me. I usually tackle many things but this one I may stay out of.
Old 10-17-16, 07:31 AM
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate

I am pretty sure I figured it out, so the screen fix of course did not work. But I did a little more research and pretty sure I found the board that is needed to fix this issue.

http://opuradio.com/products-detail.php?ProId=771
Old 10-17-16, 04:38 PM
Gville350

^Let us know if you go this route and if it fixed the issue!

Quick Reply: My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!