IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bellhousing broke 2X. New clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 04:44 AM
mimikme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bellhousing broke 2X. New clutch...

Good morning,

Im having an issue with my car that I need some help with. Before anyone complains about what I should have dones, I am a female, and going through a divorce, but I do know what I should have done before this entire issue started...

Anyhow, I bought the car with 92,000 miles. It didnt have any issues with it until the clutch started slipping and it was making a metal sounding noise like a screen door opening in first, and progressively until second and third, and I could also hear it when downshifting. Coming home from work one day, it finally went. Ok. Shop took trans apart and the bellhousing was broken where the throw out bearing goes up and down. Shop owner says that if I would have taken it in earlier, we probably could have fixed, that bellhousing part caused clutch to go. So fixed and fixed. Two weeks later, I hear that noise again, only when downshifting at first, then started again once in a while in first. Take to trans shop. They say pilot bearing... So another clutch put in... Drive it two days, clutch, which was hard, goes soft, still works. Starts making grinding sounds when I have clutch fully released, throughout all of the gears...I can make it stop and drive perfect by pressing clutch partially in. Take back to shop. He keeps insisting its trans, trans shops say clutch. Pull out trans again and the bellhousing is broke again! Wth?!

Anyways, I love my mommy car, but as of now my reliable car is my eclipse, which shifts amazing and drives better than my Lex. After the fact, I hear about how bad the trans are in this car, but I can live with it. However, I can't drive a car that the trans goes in two weeks.

Any suggestions to what may be going on with my baby?
Thanks

Last edited by mimikme; 11-08-13 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 06:29 AM
Stainless9
Driver

Sounds funky, try taking it straight to a Lexus dealer maybe? I havent had any transmission issues with my 250 but mine isnt standard.
Old 11-08-13, 06:44 AM
amw896
Rookie

Hey mimi,

I highly encourage you to bring your car to the Lexus dealer. Mine is a manual as well and I had quite a bit of problems with it but I was still within power train. They can at least guide you better (i would think) even if you decide not to have them work on your car.
Old 11-08-13, 07:07 AM
amw896
Rookie

Hey mimi,

I highly encourage you to bring your car to the Lexus dealer. Mine is a manual as well and I had quite a bit of problems with it but I was still within power train. They can at least guide you better (i would think) even if you decide not to have them work on your car.