IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield replacement suggestion please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 08:45 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield replacement suggestion please!

My car got rock chip hit other day and it can't be repair. I called Lexus dealer they gave me two price $1,200 for OEM and $800 for after market. I went to a place in Richardson tx and they quote me $430 for the after market. If I claim insurance then it would be $500 deductible. My concern the car would be fine without wind noise after replacement if I gone with the regular Windshield shop or I have to take it to Lexus dealer. Please advice or should I just not claim the insurance and pay $430 for the after market one... IF they replace what should I look for. Do our IS have anything special on the windshield that I need to look for?
Old 11-06-13, 08:55 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always go with OEM, if you insurance deduct is $500 then pay it and make sure they give you OEM glass...if not then save up and pay $1200 and have lexus install which means they will probably call a glass place to install like safelite..which is what the insurance will do anyways.

I had this very same issue last year and went thru my insurance and they tried to send safelite to replace with NON OEM even though insurance stated it would be OEM lexus so when safelite came to house i immediately looked at glass and was some after market and denied and complained to insurance..eventually they got me OEM glass and Safelite installed it. One thing I noticed and I hate it is...you will never ever get that factory seal back on your glass so you will hear more wind then you ever did before you swapped out..
Old 11-06-13, 08:58 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could order this one:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/4662.html

comes out to $699.35 with the Club Lexus Discount and about $95 shipping to CA

Last edited by DryEye; 11-07-13 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-06-13, 09:11 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I had my windshield replaced first with non-OEM and then OEM. Right after the replacements, I found about road/outside noise is reduced by maybe 10-20% with OEM. The wind noise between them is about the same -- maybe slightly less with OEM but can't really tell. If you have automatic wipers, you should get OEM; otherwise, you can decide if these differences is worth the extra money.
Old 11-06-13, 09:17 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

I think the insurance will go up . Is it worth it to claim? Thanks Axis...
@dryeyes the site is not working. So i can order one and bring it to a windshield place?
@ nosuprise how much did you pay for your Non Oem and Oem one. Thanks
Old 11-06-13, 09:21 PM
sichigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got non-OEM and the wind noise is pretty loud. I also feel like OEM Lexus glass seems to perform much better in the rain and glare reduction.
Old 11-06-13, 09:24 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you can order any glass and have any shop install it..included a stealership if they have anyone certified on site to do this..as far as insurance going up you file under comprehensive and i tripled check with my insurance company making sure it wouldnt go up and that was last year and my rates are still the same..and I was driving with a crack that was at eyelevel that would shimmer at my eyes in the sun very dangerous for about a year but i honestly didnt care about it but i didnt want to get a fixit ticket on top of the glass.
Old 11-06-13, 09:27 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I got $0 deductible on glass, so I don't know the cost. I remember hearing OEM is around $1000 and non-OEM around $300 from the installer.
Old 11-06-13, 09:49 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I just posted this in another thread ... All Lexus windshields are rebranded. Look under the "Lexus" on your current windshield and you will see who was the OEM manufacturer for it. Mine says AGC Automotive. Call the shops in your area and see if they can get you that brand of windshield. It should cost the same as any other OEM windshield and will be covered by your insurance. The only thing different from a Lexus branded windshield is that it doesn't say Lexus and it costs a whole lot less. What ever you do, stay away from Safelite... their windshields are poorly made (you can see the forming bends in them if you look at them from an angle). Just like my IS, the OEM windshield on my Camry was made by AGC Automotive. I just had my Camry windshield replaced and it cost $250 to have someone come to my house to do it. Please please please don't drop $400+ on a windshield! I hate to see someone throw their money away.

Windshield replacement suggestion please!-img_4958.jpg

Last edited by firelikeiy; 11-06-13 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 11:22 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

In the end it depends who installs it. There are OEM replacement just as good as oem but without the Lexus stamp. But if you are gonna go through insurance might as well get the best, unless they wont pay for it.
Old 11-07-13, 05:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
I think the insurance will go up . Is it worth it to claim? Thanks Axis...
@dryeyes the site is not working. So i can order one and bring it to a windshield place?
@ nosuprise how much did you pay for your Non Oem and Oem one. Thanks
I just had my windshield replaced for a crack coming out of a chip. I was told that it would not affect rates, as there is no fault. I used Safelite. It's only been 4 days, and all's good so far. The first 2 days, the rain sensing wipers kept swiping without rain--but now they seem fine.
Old 11-07-13, 06:08 AM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about that, here is the website link again: (also fixed the website link in my first post)

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/4662.html

If the link doesn't work, just go on www.sewellparts.com > select IS250 or IS350 > select year > Exterior > Select "Windshield" (should be at the bottom)
make you sure you register your Clublexus account to get the Clublexus discount

as stated in one of the previous post, you can order the glass and have any shop install it for you
Old 11-07-13, 09:00 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Thanks again for all the response messages. I talked to my insurance if I file it under comprehensive there would be $500 deductible and the rate won't affect. Im planning to take it to the Lexus dealership pay for the deductible and have it replace (hate to have wind noise in future and trying to get the best glass). @Firelikeiy All the windows classes on the car are same brand at the Sewell Parts online (front windshield) and as you said I don't know why Lexus put a different brand in the front windshield (AGC Automotive). But if we order one online and the brand is match the rest of the window classes.
@NoSuprise Do your policy $0 deductible or file under comprehensive you wont have to pay deductible?.... My policy is $500 and they said If it replace I have to pay $500 deductible.
Old 11-07-13, 06:19 PM
nosurprise
Racer

The $0 deductible glass is extra policy that I purchased (i.e. I had the option of getting $0 on windshield and window replacement only; I still have $500 deductible on my comprehensive). Although my insurance didn't go up the next policy renew, after that, they increase my premium by $20 per month even though I have no accidents, stay in the same place, and the cars only get cheaper!

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
I just posted this in another thread ... All Lexus windshields are rebranded. Look under the "Lexus" on your current windshield and you will see who was the OEM manufacturer for it. Mine says AGC Automotive.
Although they might be from the same manufacturer, they're different. Lexus glass will be higher quality -- and you can even see the slightly more visual distortion in the edge of the windshield in non-Lexus glass. If it's really worth 3 times the price for those somewhat small differences, I'm not sure.
Old 11-11-13, 03:26 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Are there anything I need to concern before the dealer install the glass on the car? Im getting the factory one put on. Lexus service advisor had a auto glass to do it.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement suggestion please!