IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lowering on BC coilovers - AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 04:59 PM
RockFresh1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering on BC coilovers - AWD

ok, so i have searched and searched but still haven't found a definitive answer..the plan is to get some 18's just regular f-sport wheels from sewell and drop on bc coilovers..im not trying to slam the car or anything just take it down an inch or so for handling/looks.

So that said, i'd been reading a whole bunch about the vibrartion/cv boot issues and they all seem to say that if you lower on AWD, like at all, then eventually you will have to fix or replace your cv boot. is that the case? they say 25 inches fender to ground is a "safe" height but still seem to imply that even then down the line you will have to fix your cv boot, i seriously hope this is not the case
i read about one person who had it at 24.5 for 2 years with little to no vibration issues but eventually his cv boot ripped, super sad if this is all true..i'd read spacers help with vibration but will it prevent cv boot issues is the real important question..guidance please, thanks all

Last edited by RockFresh1; 11-06-13 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-06-13, 05:23 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

i had to replace my drivers side recently when it tore as i was speeding down an offramp (nothing unusual) and i felt strong slow vibrations from drivers side front wheel. worried, I got it looked at immediately and the mechanics said it was torn and asked about my suspension. they blamed it on that, looked at my passenger side and said it was not too far behind.

needless to say, this was a big dent in the wallet to get replaced. I too am looking for something alleviate the stress on my CV boots. perhaps a camber kit? is there any truth to the spacers? i get my car aligned often too.
Old 11-06-13, 06:16 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither a camber kit or spacers will help. The real issue for ripped CV boots is how the front axles stretch when lowered on AWD. Neither of those 2 "solutions" will help alleviate the angle of the axle. I finally fixed my problem though... got rid of AWD.

But, you should be more than fine if you're only lowering your car an inch. Might as well get springs instead then and save some money too.
Old 11-06-13, 08:51 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I almost think if replacing the CV boot with a longer one to alleviate the stress on it from tearing or leaking. But you would have to find a car that has the same inner and outer diameter of the boot but with a few CM longer

Look into lifted trucks and see how they deal with it because they have custom boots that can stretch up to different angles

Last edited by NYKnick101; 11-06-13 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 12:03 AM
RockFresh1
Driver School Candidate

that SUCKS..damn so dropping more than 1inch or so will always eventually lead to a ripped cv boot? so then 2 questions. in addition to that one. first, 25 inches fender to ground is about how much of a drop and do you think 25 would actually be safe? second, i decided on bc cause they sounded like they had a decent mix of comfort and handling, whats similar in terms of a shock/springs set up? i'm just trying to kill some body roll (sway bars coming too) get a nice stance, and have a decently comfortable ride. i had an sc lowered on supra springs before so a stiff ride doesn't bother me too much but i'd prefer a little more comfort this time around, doesn't have to be much though. thinking tein s tech or h tech, not sure how much of a difference there is but either way should i do aftermarket shocks or leave em stock? that um. that sucks though..this car does NOT want to be modified..best i can do right now though

Last edited by RockFresh1; 11-07-13 at 01:04 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 11-07-13, 06:36 AM
Stainless9
Driver

My AWD has been lowered on Megan coils for about 8 months. At first I drove myself nuts about it, but months later, boots are fine and havent ripped. I believe I am about 24.5 inches maybe a tad bit lower. I notice the vibration but even at stock height, awd has slight vibration. I got used to it. I also decided to add the 'spacer" fix and that helped slightly...very slighty.

In conclusion, if you want to drop your car, just drop it. your boot won't rip immdeiately. They will wear out quicker anyway because you are lowered, as with any other lowered car. If you want to SLAM the car, I would just get a rwd ( I should have but was worried about the amount of snow my area gets). IMO, I couldnt imagine driving my awd at stock height, looks foolish to me but thats my .02 cents.
Old 11-07-13, 06:53 AM
Stiizy
Driver School Candidate

I really hope this can be avoided some how. I'm actually in the market for a 08-10 IS250 AWD and would like to lower it on BC's when i get it. I would go for RWD but as us Northeasterner's know the snow is very unexpected some times. Coming from a 05 STi and E39.

Do any companies make an aftermarket boot or something to fix if not prolong the problem?
i really don't want this to be a deal breaker as i've already started ordering parts for the car
Old 11-07-13, 05:31 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RockFresh1
that SUCKS..damn so dropping more than 1inch or so will always eventually lead to a ripped cv boot? so then 2 questions. in addition to that one. first, 25 inches fender to ground is about how much of a drop and do you think 25 would actually be safe? second, i decided on bc cause they sounded like they had a decent mix of comfort and handling, whats similar in terms of a shock/springs set up? i'm just trying to kill some body roll (sway bars coming too) get a nice stance, and have a decently comfortable ride. i had an sc lowered on supra springs before so a stiff ride doesn't bother me too much but i'd prefer a little more comfort this time around, doesn't have to be much though. thinking tein s tech or h tech, not sure how much of a difference there is but either way should i do aftermarket shocks or leave em stock? that um. that sucks though..this car does NOT want to be modified..best i can do right now though
You can get more than an inch, you really have to check the angle of the axle when dropped as it is the angle of the joint that makes the boots wear quickly. Like it has been said, people use axle spacers, I would look into extended boots or invest in some heavy duty boots from a jeep or something

Originally Posted by Stainless9
My AWD has been lowered on Megan coils for about 8 months. At first I drove myself nuts about it, but months later, boots are fine and havent ripped. I believe I am about 24.5 inches maybe a tad bit lower. I notice the vibration but even at stock height, awd has slight vibration. I got used to it. I also decided to add the 'spacer" fix and that helped slightly...very slighty.

In conclusion, if you want to drop your car, just drop it. your boot won't rip immdeiately. They will wear out quicker anyway because you are lowered, as with any other lowered car. If you want to SLAM the car, I would just get a rwd ( I should have but was worried about the amount of snow my area gets). IMO, I couldnt imagine driving my awd at stock height, looks foolish to me but thats my .02 cents.
Agreed. Any lowered car deals with his issue. Even my honda had this issue when i was slammed

Originally Posted by Stiizy
I really hope this can be avoided some how. I'm actually in the market for a 08-10 IS250 AWD and would like to lower it on BC's when i get it. I would go for RWD but as us Northeasterner's know the snow is very unexpected some times. Coming from a 05 STi and E39.

Do any companies make an aftermarket boot or something to fix if not prolong the problem?
i really don't want this to be a deal breaker as i've already started ordering parts for the car
I did some research last night and there are a few companies that make after market boots bit like i said above, the easiest cheapest method is to find an SUV that is commonly lifted, and see if you can get a CV boot with the same inner diameter/outer diameter. SUV after market boots have custom rubs for lowering and lifting. I saw custom boots that were like 22 degrees all the way to 55 degrees. Assuming meaning beyond its stock travel. Look up "Stretch CV boots" as well as they offer custom lenths. Standard car boots have a certain flex rating just like any rubber/plastic product. I would also look into cars that are slammed often like maybe using the boots from an STI, audi or a civic or something. the best way to preserve your axles is to find ways to keep grease in, and dirt and rocks out.

When you think about it, its really trial and error. Unless someone starts the movement on trying other boots, no one will know the fix for the problem

Last edited by NYKnick101; 11-07-13 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 05:59 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ripped CV boots are nothing compared to wobble/vibrations felt under acceleration between 0-15mph... every single time. It drove me crazy. Honestly, Lexus' AWD models are the worst cars to modify.
Old 11-07-13, 07:25 PM
jediroger
Rookie

I really want to lower my AWD IS250 but I'm thinking should I just go ahead and get more durable/stretchable CVboots before I lower it.

I was watching this video and the tool they use to put the CV boot on is amazing.

Old 11-08-13, 03:28 AM
DeanIS
Rookie

I just finished lowering the wife's AWD on Tanabe NF springs. I read all the threads spring related and the issues other members encountered with lowering their AWD. Thus far, I have no vibration/shaking issues. I do not know if its because of the conservation drop; 1" drop. The ride qauity is like stock. I will find soon enough if the ride quality will change once I install my 19" Advan Garde M368 wheels. I am sure what one point I will encounter the cv boot issue; knock on wood. Thus far, I am happy with the springs. I just wanted to close the wheel gap slightly. I know that HR springs will yield the best "look" but I did not want to deal with all the issues. After, it's the Mrs. car.
Old 11-08-13, 05:43 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeckt
i had to replace my drivers side recently when it tore as i was speeding down an offramp (nothing unusual) and i felt strong slow vibrations from drivers side front wheel. worried, I got it looked at immediately and the mechanics said it was torn and asked about my suspension. they blamed it on that, looked at my passenger side and said it was not too far behind.

needless to say, this was a big dent in the wallet to get replaced. I too am looking for something alleviate the stress on my CV boots. perhaps a camber kit? is there any truth to the spacers? i get my car aligned often too.
how low were you and how much did it cost to fix/replace?

Originally Posted by RockFresh1
it's not a definite issue........depends on driving conditions, style, and sometimes you might just get a part that's more "lemon" than others

But if you're going to drop it just 1", it's not an issue, might as well get fsport springs and shocks

I'm on H&R springs with stock shocks (09 AWD, suspension setup slightly different from 06-08 AWD), which is roughly 1.4F and 1.3R drop, and I'm still at roughly 26" fender to ground on 18" with 225/40R18 all around

Planning to swap the shocks to F Sport since my rears are feeling weak, but while I'm doing that I might go for Road Magnet springs which are 2" drop all around which will bring me to about 25.5" fender to ground

with a 1" drop you'd still be 26-26.5" fender to ground so shouldn't need to worry

----------

In regards to vibration....it's an AWD thing + 250 (carbon build up) thing + a lowering thing...........in my case I do get it at idle with foot on the brake, but I am used to pushing up to N at red lights so doesn't really bother me

And sometimes (rarely) I feel slow vibration when letting off the brake and slowly acceleration between 0-20kmph

The vibration doesn't bother me as much but the rattling as a result of vibration bothers me (a 2IS issue)
Old 11-08-13, 06:07 AM
Stainless9
Driver

Originally Posted by Acingteam
Ripped CV boots are nothing compared to wobble/vibrations felt under acceleration between 0-15mph... every single time. It drove me crazy. Honestly, Lexus' AWD models are the worst cars to modify.
You were smart in trading for a 350 lol. How has yours been handling in the snow? Good snow tires i assume?

I dont mind the wobble as much, actually I do but I cant stand to ride around at stock height. Especially with those itty bitty 17 stock wheels. Eventually I will make the upgrade to a 350 regarless of RWD in the snow.
Old 11-08-13, 06:08 AM
Stainless9
Driver

Sounds like the extended boots idea will work, Just a matter of finding one the correct size. You will still have the wobble but at least your boots wont be leaking anywhere.
Old 11-08-13, 06:12 AM
Stiizy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
You can get more than an inch, you really have to check the angle of the axle when dropped as it is the angle of the joint that makes the boots wear quickly. Like it has been said, people use axle spacers, I would look into extended boots or invest in some heavy duty boots from a jeep or something

Agreed. Any lowered car deals with his issue. Even my honda had this issue when i was slammed

I did some research last night and there are a few companies that make after market boots bit like i said above, the easiest cheapest method is to find an SUV that is commonly lifted, and see if you can get a CV boot with the same inner diameter/outer diameter. SUV after market boots have custom rubs for lowering and lifting. I saw custom boots that were like 22 degrees all the way to 55 degrees. Assuming meaning beyond its stock travel. Look up "Stretch CV boots" as well as they offer custom lenths. Standard car boots have a certain flex rating just like any rubber/plastic product. I would also look into cars that are slammed often like maybe using the boots from an STI, audi or a civic or something. the best way to preserve your axles is to find ways to keep grease in, and dirt and rocks out.

When you think about it, its really trial and error. Unless someone starts the movement on trying other boots, no one will know the fix for the problem
I'll look into it but i might just go RWD if this is a big issue or get another STi.