IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 11:30 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?

I know what you're all thinking. Why did you valet your car to begin with?
Well, I was at St Regis Monarch Beach Resort and that was the only option. There was no where else I could park and I was staying there. This is my only car and my daily driver, so this is what happened.
Please turn up the audio so you can hear what they are saying/doing in the background.
This is in no means of *****ing about what happened.
I was fully prepared for the worst...
Here's the link to the video:

And here's a little break down of what happens so you can follow along!
Breakdown:
0:50 "Ride is kind of low. I'll be careful."
1:03 Valet 2 comes in
1:07 Valet 1: Be careful with the bumps
Valet 2: What?
1:15 Valet 1: Be careful with the ramp
Valet 2: Oh yeah, I'm just going to launch it
2:19 You can hear them scrape my car
2:25 That's the sound of my center department being opened...
2:29 He goes HO HO HO. I realized I had 200 dollars in there. Good thing it's still there...
2:53 He starts driving fast, notice how bumpy it gets and how low my car is...
3:10 Now he just messes with my exhaust

Last edited by PlacidBoi; 10-28-13 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 12:37 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

im a valet attendant and i dont do those things! lol
Old 10-28-13, 12:43 AM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

@ 2:29 was because he almost took your mirror off dude lol.

I just installed my dashcam before my recall, they didnt even break 3k rpm on the test drive
Old 10-28-13, 01:02 AM
willSFP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that's why I never trust others with my car. Your exhaust sounds nice btw
Old 10-28-13, 01:40 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by willSFP
This. I've worked valet for 6 years at a similar "4 star/4 diamond" type of hotel. No way in hell would I ever valet my $8000, 92 SC300 with the manual trans. You'd be surprised at how many valets are idiots and don't know how to drive a manual but try anyways.

I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Was your car cosmetically damaged in any way?

2. Was any personal property stolen from your car?

3. Does your car drive exactly the same way as before you entered valet?

If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about. That valet obviously knew how to drive stick and did not ride your clutch.

All this being said, if you treat me like a douche when you check in, or stiff me on the in and the way out, you will receive extra special treatment.

The special treatment includes:

I will ride your clutch until it starts to smoke. Automatic, I will slam it into reverse at 5mph, then forwards at 5mph while its going backwards, then slam it into park while backing into the space. I NEVER speed in the garage.

Really you have to be extra special before I give you that type of treatment. Stiff me two or three times in one shift, your car is getting put through hell. If you talk down to me like a douche, your car is getting that extra special treatment. Really its all about your attitude as to how your car gets treated. If you say you are going to be quick and request your car to be kept up front for a few minutes or even an hour or two, I will generally give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't tip me in advance. Don't tip me in advance then come out an hour later and stiff me while I kept your car up front, you are on my ***** list.

If its a rental, I really don't see the point in breaking it for the next person. We do highlight the key tag for people who stiff us, if its a busy day and we have several keys in line, highlighted keys always get bumped to the back of the line, its a 10 minute wait vs a 2 minute wait if we're busy and we know you don't tip.

For those special people, in addition to tearing their car up if its their personal car, I always f^ck with their radio. Turn that thing all the way up to channel 40 if they have Satellite radio, that's the hardcore metal station. Then turn it off. If they don't have satellite radio, its AM 1140, all the way up, the Mexican music channel, then turn it off.

Just saying, if you are straight disrespectful to your valet, they will **** with you.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-28-13 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 02:15 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
im a valet attendant and i dont do those things! lol
Only if you were there to valet park my car
Originally Posted by ISDAS
@ 2:29 was because he almost took your mirror off dude lol.

I just installed my dashcam before my recall, they didnt even break 3k rpm on the test drive
He obviously had no reason to be going through my center department, and you can easily tell that's the sound of someone opening and closing the center department. Since he was paying so much attention to what was in my center department, he almost hit my car.
Originally Posted by willSFP
Point taken. Never did trust them and never will. I just didn't have any other options.
Thanks for the compliment! It's the F Sport paired with the Invidia Midpipes
Originally Posted by Aron9000
This. I've worked valet for 6 years at a similar "4 star/4 diamond" type of hotel. No way in hell would I ever valet my $8000, 92 SC300 with the manual trans. You'd be surprised at how many valets are idiots and don't know how to drive a manual but try anyways.

If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about. That valet obviously knew how to drive stick and did not ride your clutch.

All this being said, if you treat me like a douche when you check in, or stiff me on the in and the way out, you will receive extra special treatment.
Thanks for your comments...
1. No
2. Cosmetically, no. But he did scrape the **** out of my midpipes and exhaust, which I'm not too happy about.
3. Yes

Yes the valet didn't burn my clutch, and that's because my car is an automatic...
"If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about"
Well, yes I do. They're suppose to respect my car as a service, and they did everything but that.
And I did not treat the valet individual who opened my door with disrespect. I also did tip the guy $15 as I told him that my car was low.
The guy who decided he wanted to drive my car down to the lot was the individual who had no respect. He did not take in what the other valet person told him to do, and even made a remark that he was going to "launch" my car. It's a 250 so it won't get anywhere, but that's not the point.
I'm not complaining or anything, just wanted to share my experience as it is an open forum lol
Old 10-28-13, 04:32 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
Only if you were there to valet park my car

He obviously had no reason to be going through my center department, and you can easily tell that's the sound of someone opening and closing the center department. Since he was paying so much attention to what was in my center department, he almost hit my car.

Point taken. Never did trust them and never will. I just didn't have any other options.
Thanks for the compliment! It's the F Sport paired with the Invidia Midpipes

Thanks for your comments...
1. No
2. Cosmetically, no. But he did scrape the **** out of my midpipes and exhaust, which I'm not too happy about.
3. Yes

Yes the valet didn't burn my clutch, and that's because my car is an automatic...
"If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about"
Well, yes I do. They're suppose to respect my car as a service, and they did everything but that.
And I did not treat the valet individual who opened my door with disrespect. I also did tip the guy $15 as I told him that my car was low.
The guy who decided he wanted to drive my car down to the lot was the individual who had no respect. He did not take in what the other valet person told him to do, and even made a remark that he was going to "launch" my car. It's a 250 so it won't get anywhere, but that's not the point.
I'm not complaining or anything, just wanted to share my experience as it is an open forum lol

Man, I'm sorry about your ****ty service. To be quite frank, if you were even slightly cordial and tipped me $15 your car would have been parked by the front door. I have NFL players who tip me nothing, I'd gladly put your car up front and make those "self important" *******s wait for their cars.

Like I said, you have to be at least a two time offender to receive "special treatment" from me. Hell even if you are genuinely nice, make eye contact with me, and I think or you say you will tip me in the future but you are out of cash, I will give you a break and drive your car with due respect.

Like I said, I've worked this job for 6 years, I can tell when people are full of ****, usually they'll make quick eye contact(or usually no eye contact), then look away, make up false, oh the weather is great type of bull**** conversations. If they tell you what they did that day, and go into detail, I know they will tip me now, or at least some point in the future. Its usually $2-5, but mainly its more the thought that matters to me, more than if they tipped $2 vs $5

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-28-13 at 06:41 AM. Reason: remove commentary
Old 10-28-13, 06:24 AM
RoyLPita
Rookie

Having former valet/porter jobs, I will self park my car whenever I can.

BTW, The late Richard Jeni said this best: "Valet is a French word meaning: 'drunken teenager.' ".
Old 10-28-13, 07:43 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why i love dashcams. Valet gave my car to the wrong person. Dude was trying to pick up his GTR, not my slow 250
Old 10-28-13, 08:27 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy. I would have gotten a free night stay or something.

Last edited by iRock; 10-28-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 08:31 AM
senxation
Driver

Man these guys have no respect facepalm loll. What kind of exhaust is that btw?
Old 10-28-13, 08:43 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Aron9000, I have to ask; where and how did you develop this sense of entitlement? This "disrespect" or however you choose to interpret it goes hand in hand with the service industry. Your job is to be courteous to the customer regardless of how they treat you, park their cars, and retrieve their cars. Its one of the easiest jobs you can get, and you're here *****ing and moaning about eye contact and conversation? It's not in your job description to treat other people's property with disregard.

You talk about treating people's cars with respect as if they have to earn it from you. Yes it sucks to be treated that way, but you are not owed a tip; it is a courtesy. Valet service is usually something they pay for. If you don't get a tip, treat the car normally, there is no reason to abuse it. If you do get a tip, treat the car as if it were your own. Abusing the car does nothing for you except give your employers a reason to fire you. All it takes is one or two incidents caught on camera and you're out on your ***. At this point, if you've been acting like this for 6 years, I hope you get fired. You sound like you've developed such a bitter taste for this job, it might be time to try something else, something where you don't deal with people.

People like you are why the service industries have gone to ****. If you get treated with disrespect, guess what; its probably because they had a bad experience with another valet. Why not suck it up and be courteous instead? You're just contributing to a vicious cycle if you respond in kind.
Old 10-28-13, 08:54 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh wait..hourly jobs are supposed to get tips? i need to tell the rest of my advisors this...
Old 10-28-13, 09:04 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Aron9000, I have to ask; where and how did you develop this sense of entitlement? This "disrespect" or however you choose to interpret it goes hand in hand with the service industry. Your job is to be courteous to the customer regardless of how they treat you, park their cars, and retrieve their cars. Its one of the easiest jobs you can get, and you're here *****ing and moaning about eye contact and conversation? It's not in your job description to treat other people's property with disregard.

You talk about treating people's cars with respect as if they have to earn it from you. Yes it sucks to be treated that way, but you are not owed a tip; it is a courtesy. Valet service is usually something they pay for. If you don't get a tip, treat the car normally, there is no reason to abuse it. If you do get a tip, treat the car as if it were your own. Abusing the car does nothing for you except give your employers a reason to fire you. All it takes is one or two incidents caught on camera and you're out on your ***. At this point, if you've been acting like this for 6 years, I hope you get fired. You sound like you've developed such a bitter taste for this job, it might be time to try something else, something where you don't deal with people.

People like you are why the service industries have gone to ****. If you get treated with disrespect, guess what; its probably because they had a bad experience with another valet. Why not suck it up and be courteous instead? You're just contributing to a vicious cycle if you respond in kind.
well said.

how would YOU feel if another person does the same thing to your car? think in other peoples shoes. like Sm1ke said, people like you are reasons we don't trust valet.

btw placiboi, sorry to hear about your incident. i hope you call the resort and complain and get some kind of compensation.
Old 10-28-13, 09:24 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% disagree with your statement bro... looks like you got some "karma" coming your way.. Also pretty sure in your job duties it doesn't say you must receive a "X" amount of $$ in order to respect peoples car and if you don't drive it like you stole it...

TO the OP sorry to hear makes me really want to invest in a dash cam.

Originally Posted by Aron9000

The special treatment includes:

I will ride your clutch until it starts to smoke. Automatic, I will slam it into reverse at 5mph, then forwards at 5mph while its going backwards, then slam it into park while backing into the space. I NEVER speed in the garage.

Really you have to be extra special before I give you that type of treatment. Stiff me two or three times in one shift, your car is getting put through hell. If you talk down to me like a douche, your car is getting that extra special treatment. Really its all about your attitude as to how your car gets treated. If you say you are going to be quick and request your car to be kept up front for a few minutes or even an hour or two, I will generally give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't tip me in advance. Don't tip me in advance then come out an hour later and stiff me while I kept your car up front, you are on my ***** list.

If its a rental, I really don't see the point in breaking it for the next person. We do highlight the key tag for people who stiff us, if its a busy day and we have several keys in line, highlighted keys always get bumped to the back of the line, its a 10 minute wait vs a 2 minute wait if we're busy and we know you don't tip.

For those special people, in addition to tearing their car up if its their personal car, I always f^ck with their radio. Turn that thing all the way up to channel 40 if they have Satellite radio, that's the hardcore metal station. Then turn it off. If they don't have satellite radio, its AM 1140, all the way up, the Mexican music channel, then turn it off.

Just saying, if you are straight disrespectful to your valet, they will **** with you.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?