IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 04:44 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a valet dent my door and he was hiding it till after I came home. Was a fat dent I was so mad, I called up them and he said it was there before
Old 10-28-13, 06:16 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This. I've worked valet for 6 years at a similar "4 star/4 diamond" type of hotel. No way in hell would I ever valet my $8000, 92 SC300 with the manual trans. You'd be surprised at how many valets are idiots and don't know how to drive a manual but try anyways.

I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Was your car cosmetically damaged in any way?

2. Was any personal property stolen from your car?

3. Does your car drive exactly the same way as before you entered valet?

If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about. That valet obviously knew how to drive stick and did not ride your clutch.

All this being said, if you treat me like a douche when you check in, or stiff me on the in and the way out, you will receive extra special treatment.

The special treatment includes:

I will ride your clutch until it starts to smoke. Automatic, I will slam it into reverse at 5mph, then forwards at 5mph while its going backwards, then slam it into park while backing into the space. I NEVER speed in the garage.

Really you have to be extra special before I give you that type of treatment. Stiff me two or three times in one shift, your car is getting put through hell. If you talk down to me like a douche, your car is getting that extra special treatment. Really its all about your attitude as to how your car gets treated. If you say you are going to be quick and request your car to be kept up front for a few minutes or even an hour or two, I will generally give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't tip me in advance. Don't tip me in advance then come out an hour later and stiff me while I kept your car up front, you are on my ***** list.

If its a rental, I really don't see the point in breaking it for the next person. We do highlight the key tag for people who stiff us, if its a busy day and we have several keys in line, highlighted keys always get bumped to the back of the line, its a 10 minute wait vs a 2 minute wait if we're busy and we know you don't tip.

For those special people, in addition to tearing their car up if its their personal car, I always f^ck with their radio. Turn that thing all the way up to channel 40 if they have Satellite radio, that's the hardcore metal station. Then turn it off. If they don't have satellite radio, its AM 1140, all the way up, the Mexican music channel, then turn it off.

Just saying, if you are straight disrespectful to your valet, they will **** with you.
Im going to go ahead and say what everyone else in this thread is thinking......your a douche. You intentionally abuse someones car because they didnt tip you? What gives you the right to be all high and mighty? You park cars as a valet, you havent found the cure for cancer or fought for world peace, get real. I cannot stand people who think they are better than everyone else, not to mention purposely trying to damage another persons car. I hope you get fired. Like others have said, people like you are the reason why the service industry has so many bad apples. Your a big one.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
aron9000's post was the exact reason why many of us don't want to use valet. That's what's wrong with SOME young people these days. You EARN respect, not demand it!!! Maybe he needs to go back to look at grade school rules...."Treat others as you would like to be treated!"

Sorry to hear about this event. I would have asked to drive my own car WITH the valet.
THIS^^^^^

When I stayed in the FL Keys last year the hotel had mandatory valet parking. I asked if I would be able to park my own car and I was told that was not a problem. The valet attendant had no problem instructing me where to park. He even told me that people with exotic cars who stay at the hotel request to do the same thing.

Originally Posted by projectdna
why do people have this weird perception that it's an unforgiveable/cardinal sin for someone to do some lighthearted/innocent/harmless hooning someone else's car because they're afraid something might get ****ed up, but it's okay when the owner does it?

to the OP, turn down the Drake soundtrack (sounds like a rattle can in the back) and don't drive up with your exhaust system within auditory range. also, don't reiterate something that the valets can see. you might as well be calling them blind idiots for pointing out the obvious.

and be nice to and/or tip the valet. not to say you did or didn't treat the valets nicely and/or tip them...

I understand you wanting to report this to the valet's manager/supervisor (let's admit it, sometimes it feels good when you're able to extract some measure of revenge). But the last time you did that, you almost cost the guy his job and livelihood by taking it to the forums instead of just quietly working things out. Just remember: what goes around, comes around.
His audio wasnt that loud and he wasnt accelerating to the point where his exhaust sounds obnoxious.

And why shouldnt he post this on the forum? He has HARD EVIDENCE that the valets were messing around with his car. If I was the OP, I would show the video to the manager because thats not right. That valet driver needs to be disciplined, if not fired.

Last edited by bob4256; 10-28-13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 09:57 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm guessing this is the reason (Arons post) why most of the youger crowd is at higher unemployment rates.
What I've observed as of late with the younger folks, is a lack of respect, lack of motivation, and lack of self control. They think the world owes them everything.
I've had multiple employment positions open that range from $10.00hr-$25.00 an hour, and the only perspectives we get are turning in apps for unemployment.
Frustrating where this Country is headed and how kids are parented these days.
I was surprised it took a few posts for someone to stand up and say hey - that's ****ed up!
Old 10-28-13, 09:58 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

PS - to the OP, in the future, if you can't self park - I'd be asking to ride shotgun with the valet while they parked your car.
Old 10-28-13, 10:25 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Aron9000, I have to ask; where and how did you develop this sense of entitlement? This "disrespect" or however you choose to interpret it goes hand in hand with the service industry. Your job is to be courteous to the customer regardless of how they treat you, park their cars, and retrieve their cars. Its one of the easiest jobs you can get, and you're here *****ing and moaning about eye contact and conversation? It's not in your job description to treat other people's property with disregard.

You talk about treating people's cars with respect as if they have to earn it from you. Yes it sucks to be treated that way, but you are not owed a tip; it is a courtesy. Valet service is usually something they pay for. If you don't get a tip, treat the car normally, there is no reason to abuse it. If you do get a tip, treat the car as if it were your own. Abusing the car does nothing for you except give your employers a reason to fire you. All it takes is one or two incidents caught on camera and you're out on your ***. At this point, if you've been acting like this for 6 years, I hope you get fired. You sound like you've developed such a bitter taste for this job, it might be time to try something else, something where you don't deal with people.

People like you are why the service industries have gone to ****. If you get treated with disrespect, guess what; its probably because they had a bad experience with another valet. Why not suck it up and be courteous instead? You're just contributing to a vicious cycle if you respond in kind.
very well stated.
Old 10-29-13, 12:45 AM
ParkIanho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is messed up! Thanks for posting this video. Its going to make me think twice or avoid valet parking now.
Old 10-29-13, 02:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This. I've worked valet for 6 years at a similar "4 star/4 diamond" type of hotel. No way in hell would I ever valet my $8000, 92 SC300 with the manual trans. You'd be surprised at how many valets are idiots and don't know how to drive a manual but try anyways.

I have to ask you a few questions.

1. Was your car cosmetically damaged in any way?

2. Was any personal property stolen from your car?

3. Does your car drive exactly the same way as before you entered valet?

If you answered no, no, and yes to those questions, then you really don't have anything to ***** about. That valet obviously knew how to drive stick and did not ride your clutch.

All this being said, if you treat me like a douche when you check in, or stiff me on the in and the way out, you will receive extra special treatment.

The special treatment includes:

I will ride your clutch until it starts to smoke. Automatic, I will slam it into reverse at 5mph, then forwards at 5mph while its going backwards, then slam it into park while backing into the space. I NEVER speed in the garage.

Really you have to be extra special before I give you that type of treatment. Stiff me two or three times in one shift, your car is getting put through hell. If you talk down to me like a douche, your car is getting that extra special treatment. Really its all about your attitude as to how your car gets treated. If you say you are going to be quick and request your car to be kept up front for a few minutes or even an hour or two, I will generally give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't tip me in advance. Don't tip me in advance then come out an hour later and stiff me while I kept your car up front, you are on my ***** list.

If its a rental, I really don't see the point in breaking it for the next person. We do highlight the key tag for people who stiff us, if its a busy day and we have several keys in line, highlighted keys always get bumped to the back of the line, its a 10 minute wait vs a 2 minute wait if we're busy and we know you don't tip.

For those special people, in addition to tearing their car up if its their personal car, I always f^ck with their radio. Turn that thing all the way up to channel 40 if they have Satellite radio, that's the hardcore metal station. Then turn it off. If they don't have satellite radio, its AM 1140, all the way up, the Mexican music channel, then turn it off.

Just saying, if you are straight disrespectful to your valet, they will **** with you.
I've spent the last ten minutes trying to think of a way to address the above, but can't. It just ranks up there as one of the saddest posts I've ever read since joining CL in 2008. About the only thing worse than what was written is the fact that somewhere out there, there's a boss and company that tolerates and condones such behavior.
Old 10-29-13, 04:38 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus 1.. As an ex valet.. I might take your M3 around the block and take the long way into the parking garage as I open her up a little bit to see what she's made off but never disrespect your ride or even think of doing anything abusive that you wouldn't like if you happend to be standing there watching me. Btw, plus 1 on your exhaust, sounds great! Lol!
Old 10-29-13, 05:53 AM
slickwil89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working with Valet I do know one thing, they will test your car a lil bit. But, not too much or else they'll get fired! So be careful which driver you hand your keys off too. Best ones are the old drivers, since they tend to drive a little safer.
Old 10-29-13, 06:51 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JdSwiper
Plus 1.. As an ex valet.. I might take your M3 around the block and take the long way into the parking garage as I open her up a little bit to see what she's made off but never disrespect your ride or even think of doing anything abusive that you wouldn't like if you happend to be standing there watching me. Btw, plus 1 on your exhaust, sounds great! Lol!
Exactly another reason I don't valet. You valet guys are paid to park ppls cars, not "test" them.
Old 10-29-13, 07:53 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Exactly another reason I don't valet. You valet guys are paid to park ppls cars, not "test" them.

and you can totally park customer's cars without testing anything. shame on you
Old 10-29-13, 08:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wow sounds like extortion to me. Treat me well or else I beat on your car? Cant believe I read something like that. Read it a couple times in fact to actually believe what I was reading. If a waiter gets stiffed is it ok for them to drop your food on the ground or even spit in it?
Old 10-29-13, 09:23 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This is why I never ever ever ever valet my car. If I go somewhere and its valet only I just wont go in my car... I think you should show the video to the manager for training purposes....lol
Old 10-29-13, 09:54 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wow sounds like extortion to me. Treat me well or else I beat on your car? Cant believe I read something like that. Read it a couple times in fact to actually believe what I was reading. If a waiter gets stiffed is it ok for them to drop your food on the ground or even spit in it?
Agreed. I've been reading a fair amount of threads regarding tipping on other forums as well, and although waiters have angst and complain, valets by far act the most entitled, as if they're holding your vehicle hostage. You either pay them well, or you know, something might happen to your car... If you know what I mean.
Old 10-29-13, 11:21 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im speechless, some of you guys comments smh....really? Grow up !!! and to the OP very sad to see people doin stuff like this but take it as a lesson hopefully to never valet your car again, hope the damage was nothing major.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what they do when you go through Valet?