IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission oil level

Old 10-27-13, 05:56 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission oil level

Hey,

I did a transmission filter change one year ago , and since then I feel hard shifting !

When shifting while stationary it sounds like metal hitting metal .

I believe that the workshop didn't add sufficient amount of oil.

Is it possible to just fill oil without changing the filter again ? and what is the name of the OEM Oil used in USA please ? I don't want to get cheated again
Old 10-27-13, 06:05 PM
See5
Pole Position

My car is 2007 IS350 and I live in hot environment .
Old 10-27-13, 06:21 PM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexus says never to change transmission oil !
Old 10-28-13, 04:12 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickawdIs
lexus says never to change transmission oil !

They ask you to change the Transmission filter every 50k and by doing that you are already losing about 35% of the fluid .

Where can I find the name of oil used ?
Old 10-28-13, 11:21 AM
Samieee
Pole Position

Lexus dealership
Old 10-28-13, 01:09 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

So many fails in this, it has to be a joke...

First, there is no transmission filter...second, the manual does not say to change the fluid at 50k miles as it only calls for an inspection at 100k miles.

The fluid is called WS (World Standard) fluid...and I would recommend you to take your car to a dealer to correct what someone probably destroyed on your car. And I would also recommend you doing some research before you post things up that can provide people with the wrong information.

GL
Old 10-28-13, 01:45 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Are you sure it's tranny filter and not engine oil filter??
Old 10-28-13, 03:21 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unless he is talking about differential fluid that was changed. But tranny has no filter. Its a sealed transmission so really no drain for fill plug either.

Who ever did your transmission probably attempted to take it apart, realized that he wasnt supposed to do it, put some generic ATF fluid to try to fill it back but couldnt get it completely filled and handed you your keys back. jerking and grinding could be cuz gears are knocking due to insufficient lube in the transmission.

With these IS transmissions, you have to send it back to the manufacturer to get serviced and they send it back to you. Most lexus dealers don't even do tranny maintenance in house
Old 10-29-13, 03:52 AM
See5
Pole Position

Wow

This information I got from a guy in a toyota workshop. I don't feel comfortable about him to be honest .

BUT , if you open the maintainance menu through your Nav screen . You would see an icon with the abbreviation ATF : Doesn't that stand for Automatic transmission filter/fluid ?

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
unless he is talking about differential fluid that was changed. But tranny has no filter. Its a sealed transmission so really no drain for fill plug either.

Who ever did your transmission probably attempted to take it apart, realized that he wasnt supposed to do it, put some generic ATF fluid to try to fill it back but couldnt get it completely filled and handed you your keys back. jerking and grinding could be cuz gears are knocking due to insufficient lube in the transmission.

With these IS transmissions, you have to send it back to the manufacturer to get serviced and they send it back to you. Most lexus dealers don't even do tranny maintenance in house

OMG I am talking about transmission filter and I remember I was afraid of changing it and I asked the guy in the workshop what type of oil do you use and he replayed ( It is not your bussniess ) Funny how silly people replay in such bad words in Saudi Arabia

How can I fix what he done ? I can't make a claim I am not in USA so I won't get my right any way
Old 10-29-13, 12:27 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by See5
Wow

This information I got from a guy in a toyota workshop. I don't feel comfortable about him to be honest .

BUT , if you open the maintainance menu through your Nav screen . You would see an icon with the abbreviation ATF : Doesn't that stand for Automatic transmission filter/fluid ?

OMG I am talking about transmission filter and I remember I was afraid of changing it and I asked the guy in the workshop what type of oil do you use and he replayed ( It is not your bussniess ) Funny how silly people replay in such bad words in Saudi Arabia

How can I fix what he done ? I can't make a claim I am not in USA so I won't get my right any way
WOW how shady... Well the best you can do is to take it to a certified Lexus Dealer, as they are literally the only ones that can service our transmission. If that guy works for Toyota then look for the manager or go to another Lexus location. I do not know how it works in Saudi with foreign cars but I would assume they would also have a service department at where you got your car from. Good luck and hope you get it fixed asap!
Old 10-30-13, 09:14 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

now I heard from a SA advisor, and I asked 2 other SA advisor before.
2 SA told me the transmission and differential on the car is lifetime, today another SA told me the transmission/differential fluid need to be replace every 60,000 miles, the lifetime fluid is only for model year 2010+
I don't know if it's a legit info since there are people said it never need to replace and there are people told me that it needs to be replace every 60,000 miles.
Old 10-30-13, 12:25 PM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azfsprt
WOW how shady... Well the best you can do is to take it to a certified Lexus Dealer, as they are literally the only ones that can service our transmission. If that guy works for Toyota then look for the manager or go to another Lexus location. I do not know how it works in Saudi with foreign cars but I would assume they would also have a service department at where you got your car from. Good luck and hope you get it fixed asap!
I guess I will tell the dealer that I feel hard shifting and I think it needs oil refill and we will see how thing goes....

Still not feeling comfortable because I don't know what Oil did that **** mechanic use

I will let you know , I believe even the dealer in my area suggests to change the fluid. Because it gets aged in hot environments more often.

thanks
Old 10-30-13, 12:27 PM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zen
now I heard from a SA advisor, and I asked 2 other SA advisor before.
2 SA told me the transmission and differential on the car is lifetime, today another SA told me the transmission/differential fluid need to be replace every 60,000 miles, the lifetime fluid is only for model year 2010+
I don't know if it's a legit info since there are people said it never need to replace and there are people told me that it needs to be replace every 60,000 miles.

I think it is a matter of keeping your car running as new and to make it last longer.

I don't believe that there is a fluid that would stay as new as it was before been driven for over 60k miles.
Old 11-03-13, 05:22 AM
See5
Pole Position

You said the trans filter is sealed and cannot be replaced , how would you explain this please

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2007/L...iagram=8916220
Old 11-03-13, 06:07 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your missing the mainpoint that there is no filler to refill the transmission even if the fluid is drained.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission oil level