IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'08 IS250 will not start- No power - Battery is fully charged

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 03:25 PM
bobbyp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 IS250 won't start

Hey everybody. I'm new to this thing so I hope y'all can help me out. My wife's car won't start. All of the power comes on but when I push the button, no go. It does have check VSC and P/S is lit up. The battery is relatively new and I took it to autozone and had it tested. It is at 75%. It started this morning for about 5 seconds and then shut off again. Any ideas?
Old 01-09-15, 04:25 PM
cbst09
Driver School Candidate

have you tried cleaning the connection to the body where the negative battery cable is connected to the frame of the car? There may be some corrosion that is not giving you a good ground connection.
Old 01-09-15, 04:29 PM
cbst09
Driver School Candidate

By any chance have you replaced the air filter recently? sometimes when replacing the air filter folks accidently dislodge the air intake hose or the MAF sensor and that will cause the car to start then shut down.
Old 01-12-15, 07:25 AM
binthere
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cbst09
have you tried cleaning the connection to the body where the negative battery cable is connected to the frame of the car? There may be some corrosion that is not giving you a good ground connection.

As I mentioned a few months ago in my post above....a corroded connection was the culprit. It's an easy thing to check and fix. It was causing many of the issues described above....so I agree.....checking the ground would be a good way to start.
Old 01-12-15, 07:29 AM
binthere
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dtina
When we went to advance auto parts they charged the battery and told us the battery is good. and its basically was replaced not to long ago. I've read it could be from corrosion that needs to be cleaned?
I could be wrong, it could be something else...but corrosion was causing the exact same thing to my vehicle to the point that I had to get it towed home. Might be worth checking this since it's a relatively simple and cheap fix. Before you get into diagnosing computer and electrical issues.
Old 01-20-15, 08:05 AM
bobbyp
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Here's an update on the issue. I had it towed to the Toyota dealership since it was closest. It turned out to be an ignition relay. They had it for about a week because they thought the computer was fried but after explaining to them (for the 3rd time) what the symptoms were they figured it out that day. They had to order the relay from Lexus. Since my wife's car wasn't under warranty it cost just over $400 so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Old 02-22-15, 12:59 PM
Lexusboy4
Driver School Candidate

Did check the alternator
Old 02-23-15, 08:27 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default thanks or update

Originally Posted by bobbyp
Here's an update on the issue. I had it towed to the Toyota dealership since it was closest. It turned out to be an ignition relay. They had it for about a week because they thought the computer was fried but after explaining to them (for the 3rd time) what the symptoms were they figured it out that day. They had to order the relay from Lexus. Since my wife's car wasn't under warranty it cost just over $400 so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
can you look at your receipt and tells us exaclty which relay was replaced? thanks.
Old 02-24-17, 04:59 PM
Sknrs360
Driver School Candidate

Hey does anybody knows whats going on i have a 07 is250 everything was working perfectly fine yesterday then last night i try starting the car to go pick up my wife there was no power what so ever no lights on i bought a new battery still no power any body can give me a hint on what that could be i would really appreciate it thanks
Old 02-27-17, 06:17 AM
binthere
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sknrs360
Hey does anybody knows whats going on i have a 07 is250 everything was working perfectly fine yesterday then last night i try starting the car to go pick up my wife there was no power what so ever no lights on i bought a new battery still no power any body can give me a hint on what that could be i would really appreciate it thanks
Same thing happened to me. it was the ground wire that connects to the chassis.....located behind the battery (approximately). I took the screw off, removed the ground wire....cleaned it up a little and voila. Everything worked. Was a corroded wire or poor connection.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-23, 01:10 AM
ladyspy007
1st Gear

having trouble with my is250 (2008 AWD)

while waiting for red light, the battery light came on and the car shut down

had it towed to mechanic, who replaced the battery, new air filter and plugs.

it drove fine for a day and then the battery light flashed intermittently and then it happened again.
First the power steering stopped working. the car shut down completely AND THEN, the whole dashboard lit up, the speedometer started bouncing....
alll went crazy.

the next day, car started fine. then the battery light started flashing again. As i drove home and parked it, the car went dead again.

mechanic thinks is the alternator and keeps saying he has to take a lot of parts out before accessing it.

HELP!!
Old 02-27-23, 07:52 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by ladyspy007
having trouble with my is250 (2008 AWD)

while waiting for red light, the battery light came on and the car shut down

had it towed to mechanic, who replaced the battery, new air filter and plugs.

it drove fine for a day and then the battery light flashed intermittently and then it happened again.
First the power steering stopped working. the car shut down completely AND THEN, the whole dashboard lit up, the speedometer started bouncing....
alll went crazy.

the next day, car started fine. then the battery light started flashing again. As i drove home and parked it, the car went dead again.

mechanic thinks is the alternator and keeps saying he has to take a lot of parts out before accessing it.

HELP!!
Definitely sounds like an alternator issue.

Have your mechanic look at this. Not a bad job to do. Kinda crazy the mechanic wouldn't have checked the charging system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-removal.html

Old 02-27-23, 11:43 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah, I'm surprised that the mechanic didn't check the alternator the first time. The battery light come on while driving is a sure sign it's the alternator instead of just the battery. I had my 2008 IS350 alternator replaced at the dealership for $750 (including parts and labor) last year.