IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP!!!: Varrstoen IS350 brakes and fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 05:09 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Well buy it don't clear get the 3-5mm spacer at the end of the day. As I say those spacer size won't be a issue compare to a 10mm.
Old 10-25-13, 12:04 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see u found my previous threads. I'm unsure of the +22 clearing the stock 350 brakes. Even with the 10mm spacer it i was barley clearing the brakes. I wish I could find the picture to show u. It seemed like less than a mm of clearance when I was at +20.

As stated above f u go with +22 u have a chance of tryi g it out, if not that a 3-5mm spacer will do the trick. I hope you're ready for some nasty fender mods. I was slammed on mine and rubbing drove me insane.

Being **** is the reason I'm still riding stockies but no rub anywhere and I didn't even relocate fender tab .

Subscribed for results. Post pics if u decide to go with it
Old 10-27-13, 12:09 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, i found a post of where its a definitive no; +22 wont work without spacers. LamtheSham got the wheels and is running a 3mm spacer for brake clearance. So +22 is a difinitive No without spacers.

Originally Posted by laobo979
Well buy it don't clear get the 3-5mm spacer at the end of the day. As I say those spacer size won't be a issue compare to a 10mm.
Originally Posted by Offspring
I see u found my previous threads. I'm unsure of the +22 clearing the stock 350 brakes. Even with the 10mm spacer it i was barley clearing the brakes. I wish I could find the picture to show u. It seemed like less than a mm of clearance when I was at +20.

As stated above if u go with +22 u have a chance of tryi g it out, if not that a 3-5mm spacer will do the trick. I hope you're ready for some nasty fender mods. I was slammed on mine and rubbing drove me insane.

Being **** is the reason I'm still riding stockies but no rub anywhere and I didn't even relocate fender tab .

Subscribed for results. Post pics if u decide to go with it
now heres the problem Im having w spacers:

If i got +22, and i have to get a thin 2-3mm spacer, they will be of the non-hubcentric types; fitting those + hubcentric ring wont work (i cant see how it will work, and it wont keep my mind at ease) Also i had a bad experience w Ichiba spacers, so im only comfortable running H&R and they dont make a 2-3mm for our car( or any toyota for that matter).

If i go +30 and get a 10mm hubcentric spacer - thats better than the above (unless i can find a solution to thin soacer + hubring), but Ill be worreid about the wheels not having the required holes to sit over where the spacer bolts poke out from the spacer. At 10mm i wouldnt feel right running a spacer that doesn't bolt to the hub. Also there is still the issue of clearance.

Offspring: I know u said they barely just clear, but do they clear ? I dont want the spoke to the wheel to be scrapping the paint off of my brakes. Can you confirm that they 100% do not touch?
Also which spacer type did u try? The bolt on to the hubs ones? or just the rings. IF the bolt on type, do the Vars ES2 have the holes on the back to accomodate the spacer nuts?

And finally, i am being super careful because i live in the UAE, Im buying these wheels from the states and shipping them here, therefore it'll be a costly mistake if it doesnt fit/work for whatever reason. Plus ill be bummed as hell.

I've been contemplating 9.5 +12 in the front. No spacer required, but fitment is an issue and there is no clear info on this either; some people are saying that either this only require a roll and pull, or roll pull and fender tab bolt relocation and natural camber, others have stated major roll pull, fender liner removal, fender bolt delete, camber kits etc and you will still rub like crazy. The people that are stating it works w out THAT much work and no camber kits are not responding to my PMs for whatever reason.

I'm also in a special situation, as here it is illegal to slam your car, so i cant rely on too much natural camber from being super low. The lowest i can go is a finger gap between tire and fender (that's how the cops gauge if its too low,). At that height, I'm unsure what i can get away with. So still researching the crap out of this.

Last edited by ndk83; 10-27-13 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 03:38 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

100% sure you will clear with a 10mm spacer if u got with +30. I bought project kics spacer that bolt on to the hub . The varstoen have cutouts behind the wheel to accommodate the extra lugs.

I will stick to the opinion that u will require major fender mods. Pulling rolling relocating and then some. If ur like me and spacers don't sit we'll then get high quality spacers. I bought mine off ssffd of this forum and sold it to Nikon on this forum. Just check my previous threads if u want pictures of my spacer.

I drove on my wheels around the block so trust me, they cleared. It was the excessive rubbing that I didn't want to deal with causing me to revert to the stockies.

GL man !
Old 10-27-13, 05:36 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Offspring
100% sure you will clear with a 10mm spacer if u got with +30. I bought project kics spacer that bolt on to the hub . The varstoen have cutouts behind the wheel to accommodate the extra lugs.

I will stick to the opinion that u will require major fender mods. Pulling rolling relocating and then some. If ur like me and spacers don't sit we'll then get high quality spacers. I bought mine off ssffd of this forum and sold it to Nikon on this forum. Just check my previous threads if u want pictures of my spacer.

I drove on my wheels around the block so trust me, they cleared. It was the excessive rubbing that I didn't want to deal with causing me to revert to the stockies.

GL man !
Whats your ride height when u tested the +30 w 10mm offset? How tucked where you? finger gap between tire and fender?
That fender tab is very important, if u dont relocate it or bend it out the way you will rub and it will cut into ur tire. That was the case with my current setup.; front is 8.5 +20. I rolled my fenders flat, and bent the tab out the way and now no rubbing, so Im not worried about an extra 12mm haha. plus ill get more of stretch on my tires w a 9.5. Im prepared for a little more fender work, but i doubt anything major. First thing i will do is the fender tab shave down.
Old 10-27-13, 11:06 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I had zero fender mods in the front. 1 finger gap or a tad less. i wasnt tucking at all.the rears were rolled and pulled
Old 02-03-14, 03:59 PM
Tphotisane
Driver School Candidate

does anyone here know if es2 19x9.5 19x10.5 offset 30 would clear the is250 brakes ?
Old 02-03-14, 07:08 PM
static250
Driver

Originally Posted by Tphotisane
does anyone here know if es2 19x9.5 19x10.5 offset 30 would clear the is250 brakes ?
Any of the varrstoen wheels clear the is250 brakes no problem.

My last setup was 19x9.5+30 and 19x10.5-+30
Old 02-03-14, 11:37 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by static250
Any of the varrstoen wheels clear the is250 brakes no problem.

My last setup was 19x9.5+30 and 19x10.5-+30
white car and blue rims is such a sick color combination
Old 02-04-14, 11:51 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Like that...

When it comes to clearing brakes, I think most people confuse offset with backspacing. Any offset (with the right size rim of course) can clear any caliper with the proper backspacing
Old 02-04-14, 12:51 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I Like that...

When it comes to clearing brakes, I think most people confuse offset with backspacing. Any offset (with the right size rim of course) can clear any caliper with the proper backspacing
Yes and No, its not just offset or backspacing that you need to know to figure out if a rim will clear a bbk.The other factor is Hi disk vs vs low disk design. different companies have different terminology for this, Volk use hi, med lo disk, Work i believe uses o-disk, a- disk r-disk, SSR uses HP,MD, NR and SL

although different companies have different names for it, its basically the shape and distance (clearance) from the inside of the spokes to the inner face of the wheel hub. The different clearance sizes is to clear different bbk calipers and thereby sacrificing rim lip. i believe u can have diff disk types for the same rim width and offset
This diagram should help

The IS250's brake (i believe) doesn't extend much past the wheel hub and therefore should never had to worry about wheel disks and wheels not fitting. I may be wrong about this though

Last edited by ndk83; 02-04-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 01:12 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
Yes and No, its not just offset or backspacing that you need to know to figure out if a rim will clear a bbk.The other factor is Hi disk vs vs low disk design. different companies have different terminology for this, Volk use hi, med lo disk, Work i believe uses o-disk, a- disk r-disk, SSR uses HP,MD, NR and SL

although different companies have different names for it, its basically the shape and distance (clearance) from the inside of the spokes to the inner face of the wheel hub. (Is this what u meant by backspace?)The different clearance sizes is to clear different bbk calipers. This diagram should help

The IS250's brake (i believe) doesn't extend much past the wheel hub and therefore should never had to worry about wheel disks and wheels not fitting. I may be wrong about this though
lol Actually this is exactly what I meant. When I was looking at the older original post, All i could think was 30 offset can clear but what type of wheel is it, what kind of backspacing does that wheel offer when clearing the brakes. A lot of wheel companies are not the same as you have described here.

In another forum, a guy asked about OEM TSX wheels on the IS350 (and i have both sets of rims) and they are identical sizes and offsets but the TSX spacing between the inside of the spokes and wheel hub are a different shape and wont clear the IS350 calipers
Old 02-04-14, 01:20 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
lol Actually this is exactly what I meant. When I was looking at the older original post, All i could think was 30 offset can clear but what type of wheel is it, what kind of backspacing does that wheel offer when clearing the brakes. A lot of wheel companies are not the same as you have described here.

In another forum, a guy asked about OEM TSX wheels on the IS350 (and i have both sets of rims) and they are identical sizes and offsets but the TSX spacing between the inside of the spokes and wheel hub are a different shape and wont clear the IS350 calipers
haha, my bad

what boggles my mind, is that the IS350 brake caliper is actually thicker than the IS-F brembo BBK. Why??????? lol
Old 02-04-14, 09:55 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ndk83
haha, my bad

what boggles my mind, is that the IS350 brake caliper is actually thicker than the IS-F brembo BBK. Why??????? lol
You know I have been eyeing a 2nd set of version 2s for a while. Currently on F-sport 19in rims with +20mm spacers all around.

19x8 +40, 19x9 +40. With the spacers it would be +20 all around...

WITH F-Sport BBKs.... (The big blue ones for front and rear...) would this mean its impossible for me to even try any of the varrstoens?

I am quite not sure how much more the bbks poke out compared to the original 350 brakes. Do you guys think its a definite wider setup? are my f-sport bbks wider than the IS-F bbks?

Any insight would help.

Here is an example of HKS350's awesome ride.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...ning_menu.html

I am not sure why they pulled that car off as original te37 rims...

But by looking at the 355mm rotora bbk compared to my 334mm f-sport bbk, and him running that +22 setup... i believe its definitely doable to a regular is350.

The rotora bbks must be fatter than the regular 350 bbks no? In terms of fitment it should fit.

In terms of fender mods, do all that is needed like tab delete, pull, and shave.

In terms of daily driving please pay attention to his suspension setup. he's running lowered with those crazy crazy rock hard spring rates. 20k front and 16k rear. THATS INSANE!

What does that mean? I believe his suspension travel on freeway hitting dips would be almost no travel. Meaning the up and down motion from wheels touching to fender would virtually never happen....

some more info would be great. If anyone has some time to ask varrstoen company if they have different disk sizes that would be awesome
Old 02-04-14, 11:11 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaKi3241
You know I have been eyeing a 2nd set of version 2s for a while. Currently on F-sport 19in rims with +20mm spacers all around.

19x8 +40, 19x9 +40. With the spacers it would be +20 all around...

WITH F-Sport BBKs.... (The big blue ones for front and rear...) would this mean its impossible for me to even try any of the varrstoens?

I am quite not sure how much more the bbks poke out compared to the original 350 brakes. Do you guys think its a definite wider setup? are my f-sport bbks wider than the IS-F bbks?

Any insight would help.

Here is an example of HKS350's awesome ride.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...ning_menu.html

I am not sure why they pulled that car off as original te37 rims...

But by looking at the 355mm rotora bbk compared to my 334mm f-sport bbk, and him running that +22 setup... i believe its definitely doable to a regular is350.

The rotora bbks must be fatter than the regular 350 bbks no? In terms of fitment it should fit.

In terms of fender mods, do all that is needed like tab delete, pull, and shave.

In terms of daily driving please pay attention to his suspension setup. he's running lowered with those crazy crazy rock hard spring rates. 20k front and 16k rear. THATS INSANE!

What does that mean? I believe his suspension travel on freeway hitting dips would be almost no travel. Meaning the up and down motion from wheels touching to fender would virtually never happen....

some more info would be great. If anyone has some time to ask varrstoen company if they have different disk sizes that would be awesome
Lexus IS350 brake calipers are thicker than IS-F BBK, i only know this because ISF wheels spokes don't clear a 350 caliper.

Whether or not Fsport BBK's are thicker than ISF BBK's im not 100% sure, but i remember reading that they are, because a ISF wheel doesn't clear F-sport BBK. Remember we are dealing with mm's here.

I wouldn't be surprised if the IS350 calipers are a similar thickness to the F-Sport BBK Calipers. OEM IS350 rims clear the F sport calipers, but that tells u more about the wheels than the brakes. Do not assume that this means the wheels will fit. This would be a costly mistake if ur wrong.

A test fit, or caliper profile diagram, would help you the most and give u a more definitive answer.

Since you brought up HKS350's ride, it would appear his +22 varrstoens cleared his rotara brakes, but again i dont know what the Rotora profiles are like, if he used spacers, or if those even are +22 offset in the first place. Rotor size helps u w wheel diameter clearance, we are having a prob with wheel thickness clearance, so again this doesn't tell u much about ur setup

Your best starting bet would be to contact either Varrsoten or one of their vendors on CL (Aspec wheels, Sonic Motors) and see if they have done a test fit on F-sport brakes.

You should be able to clear a 9.5 +12 wheel, or just get the +22 or +30 and run spacers diff til u clear, could be an expensive exercise though.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!: Varrstoen IS350 brakes and fitment Questions