IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS350 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 09:48 PM
Herbykw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 IS350 won't start

My wife and I just bought her a 06 IS350. It's a great car. She loves it. A couple weeks ago she went to the gym and it wouldn't start when she tried to leave. When she gets in and hits start everything lights up and comes on, but does not turn the motor over. She got a jump and it fired right up.

I replaced the battery with an Optima Red top. Everything was fine for a week, then same thing. We charged the battery and found a light left on. Thought in was good to go.

A week and a half later(today), same thing, except when she jped it it would not start. Thy let it charge for a few minutes, tried resetting it by hitig start twice. Nothing. I'm at work, but when they try to start it thu get a loud buzzing from under the car. She had it towed home.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have tried searching, havent found much with a buzzing noizeI will try to post a video or the noise.

Thank you, very much.
Old 10-21-13, 09:52 PM
Herbykw
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-21-13, 10:06 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked the alternator? its supposed to charge the battery, It happened to my bosses jeep, would jump right up but would die again.
Old 10-21-13, 10:06 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

dude, you sound like a girl; are you sure you're not the wife?

The second video got me confused as I think it's likely the alternator that charges the battery has a problem since when you got a new battery or jumping the car it will always start? You can check the alternator voltage output to see if that's right.

Old 10-21-13, 10:55 PM
Herbykw
Driver School Candidate

I have checked the alt by disconnecting the neg battery wire. It ran for a minute or so with no issues.

When I have time off I will check the voltage with my multi meter

That was my wife. Again, I'm at work.
Old 10-21-13, 10:56 PM
Herbykw
Driver School Candidate

Previously the car would start with a jump. Today it would not start with a jump.
Old 10-22-13, 12:09 PM
Jaykobo
Driver School Candidate

check the starter cables for corrosion ......open them check brush them and check them .

the starter solenoid make this problem too.....when the car is start try to check the battery cable if it getting hot or normal Temps......it's happen to me in GM car and I take check all my car wires looking for short circuit and found nothing.....my dad tell me to check the solenoid and I take down the starter and check it....it was sticking and not return to it's position after the car start ..I replace it and it's work find and good now....."the signs are the battery discharged withen 1 week,hot + battery cables "

Last edited by Jaykobo; 10-22-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 03:31 PM
Herbykw
Driver School Candidate

Ok so the battery is sitting about 12.66 volts car off. Still wont start. When trying to start it, voltage drops to about 12.15. I disconnected the battery for a couple minutes, still nothing. Anyone know where the starter is located on these cars?
Old 10-22-13, 03:56 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be the starter has gone bad on your 06. My starter just died last month and it would not start with a jump or anything. i lifted the car up and tapped on the starter while having my wife press down on the start button and it started right up.

The starter sits near the bottom of driver side header. To reach it you need to remove the bottom covers under neath the car. or if you have a long metal pipe you maybe able to tap the starter from above the engine bay.
Old 10-22-13, 03:57 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

under the driver side exhaust bank...
Old 10-22-13, 07:29 PM
Whisperss
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone, I am Kevin's wife. I was able to find the starter after jacking the car up the driver side. My issue I have is how am I to get the starter out of that small space? Getting a wrench in there was impossible!
Old 10-23-13, 12:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, working in the engine bay on that side is a headache. Removing an alternator or starter will require the car being up on 4 jacks and removing panels to access it from underneath I believe.
Old 10-23-13, 02:20 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisperss
Hey everyone, I am Kevin's wife. I was able to find the starter after jacking the car up the driver side. My issue I have is how am I to get the starter out of that small space? Getting a wrench in there was impossible!
The way I was able to remove it was by loosening the exhaust manifold bolts and detaching the exhaust manifold from the mid pipe (two screws). You don’t have to completely remove the exhaust manifold you just need enough room to push it back a bit to reach your arm through the opening. Before you remove the starter though try testing the connection first from there
Old 10-23-13, 03:24 PM
Herbykw
Driver School Candidate

When your starter went bad did it click? Hum? Do anything? Hers does not do anything at all
Old 10-23-13, 06:21 PM
Whisperss
Driver School Candidate

My awesome hubby found the issue. It was the starter relay. Got a new one and we seem to be good to go. Thanks for the help. We are Lexus noobs.

Quick Reply: 06 IS350 won't start