IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Old 12-16-13, 12:06 PM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I scheduled my recall service the day after I bought my car (two months ago) and it's going in the shop tomorrow. Ironically, this morning was the first time that I've heard the rattle. Until then I was starting to think it was a non-issue.
Service advisor didn't say how long it would take, only that I'd be getting a loaner.
Old 12-16-13, 01:08 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine done last week. All in all seems a bit quieter but hard to tell. Also got the plugs done for a 1hour labor charge. Got a si250 loaner and god I am glad I got the 350. The 250 is such a dog.

Also do people reccomend getting an oil change after the recal. Not sure if there is any chance of getting any debris in the oil system with the extensive work that was done.
Old 12-16-13, 08:23 PM
kamileon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
Got mine done last week. All in all seems a bit quieter but hard to tell. Also got the plugs done for a 1hour labor charge. Got a si250 loaner and god I am glad I got the 350. The 250 is such a dog.

Also do people reccomend getting an oil change after the recal. Not sure if there is any chance of getting any debris in the oil system with the extensive work that was done.
You realize that you got ripped off paying an hour extra for plugs when they remove the plugs during the recall?
Old 12-17-13, 08:50 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dropped mine off this morning. Got a '13 GS350 as a loaner. This thing is a tank. It feels like I'm pulling my car behind it with 5 fat chicks inside. Audio sounds... distant? And not very comfy. A lot of gizmo's and gadgets but man I miss my IS350 already...
Old 12-17-13, 07:10 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The 350 is back! No more rattle on start up. So far so good. Washed clean and full tank! Keeping fingers crossed and knocking on wood.

I should have brought my plugs and negotiated that they replace them, as mentioned they do remove the plugs when doing this recall, they could done it gratis.

Anyway it will be a weekend project for me.

So far so good...
Old 12-17-13, 07:11 PM
mandyfig

Next stop the RX330 Carpet recall. Then the SC airbag recall...
Old 12-17-13, 09:16 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Can anyone confirm whether they will change the spark plugs free of charge? I read in posts above that this recall requires them to remove the spark plugs? So if I were to provide new spark plugs its technically no extra labor since they had to do it for the recall....Just want a confirmation b4 I go telling the adviser, & I remember getting a free tank of gas at the last recall is that still a go for this one?
Old 12-17-13, 10:54 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivo154
Can anyone confirm whether they will change the spark plugs free of charge? I read in posts above that this recall requires them to remove the spark plugs? So if I were to provide new spark plugs its technically no extra labor since they had to do it for the recall....Just want a confirmation b4 I go telling the adviser, & I remember getting a free tank of gas at the last recall is that still a go for this one?
i really dont see them doing that for free regardless if everything is apart since that technically is additional maintenance. but its worth a shot
Old 12-18-13, 08:34 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Yah I tried to fight that but lost. They stuck with their one hour labor charge and would not budge. Still cheaper than doing them standalone. Kind of annoying. I am sure some dealers are nicer than others though.

Old 12-18-13, 11:11 AM
mandyfig

In my case, my Service guy old me that if I had the plugs, they would have done it for free. I think that's what he said, bit it was after the fact. He wants me to hear it. Also says the next time he will do something...

Let's see.

But no harm in trying!
Old 12-18-13, 01:47 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

mandyfig mentioned they need to remove the spark plugs...so how is installing new spark plugs (which I would provide) extra labor, isnt it the same as putting the old plugs back...lol
Old 12-18-13, 02:45 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

They have to open up the box the new plugs come in. Very complicated and time consuming procedure.
Old 12-18-13, 03:39 PM
P Rock
Driver

I was in love with my IS350.......that is until they gave me a 2014 IS250 as a loaner during this recall. Now the interior in my 2008 IS350 feels really dated
Now I can't get the thoughts of picking up a 2014 IS350 out of my head. Please tell me something about the 2gen that will get these thoughts out of my head!
Old 12-18-13, 03:49 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Haha that sucks P Rock. Lexus NEVER gives me another IS. The only loaners Ive ever gotten was a ES350 & RX...I have an 06 & got to test drive an F....It sucks when you get to use something way better than what you own...It makes what you own feel like crap haha
Old 12-18-13, 04:41 PM
P Rock
Driver

Oh I was proactive, before they assigned me a car, I told them no ES and no RX please. Since I have an IS, I want another IS. To be honest, I wish I didn't ask now But hey, my cam gears are quiet now...but gas mileage seems to have dipped.

Haha that sucks P Rock. Lexus NEVER gives me another IS. The only loaners Ive ever gotten was a ES350 & RX...I have an 06 & got to test drive an F....It sucks when you get to use something way better than what you own...It makes what you own feel like crap haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!