IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS 250 or Ford Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 08:12 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wlk12
Agree. These are two different animals, but it looks like you want reliability and dependability over the next few years. For your needs, go with the mustang.
Yeah, the Lexus turned out a bust. The dealer was shady with me. It had an airbag deployed (though he claims no accident) and its shock system needs replacing ($2.4k alone). Those are major issues. I can't buy the car with those problems.

The Mustang will be both dependable and reliable. It only has 35k miles on it, and I don't think I'll add more than 10k a year. It comes with a complete 1-year warranty from Ford, and I think the car will still be new enough after that not to have major breakdowns.
Old 10-01-13, 08:15 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by malanjari
A friend pointed out to me today that if I had really wanted a Mustang, then I would've been jumping from joy over this deal. It was cheaper than average, had lower mileage, and was certified. Wish it was the IS though, it's over priced, huge mileage, and is certain to breakdown soon.
I had decided I wanted the Lexus, it's the kind of car I want to drive. After I decided that, it turned out that the Lexus I saw was a bad deal. So I'm back (almost full board ) on the Mustang: certified pre-owned and one-year warranty. I don't want any surprises, and it's clear I won't find a good IS for the same price.

And the Mustang is still a good car, it's not a bad choice to be honest.
Old 10-01-13, 08:17 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by keyframe13
It is way better as it takes regular so your saving on gas quite a bit. Plus you have serious power when need it. I think Lexus really screw up with 250 engine, power of a 4cylinder with gas mileage of a v6
Great news. I'm leaning more towards the Mustang now.
Old 10-01-13, 08:23 PM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
I've owned a mustang before and now drive the Lexus IS. If you want performance only, go for the mustang. If you just go on cruises and do accelerations once in a while, go for the Lexus. The Mustang does have a bumpier ride but it accelerates way faster than the IS 250 since it's got a bigger engine. Gas mileage, I'd say both are probably the same but you would probably save more on the IS 250 since it does only have a 2.5 liter engine whereas the mustang has a 3.8L V6. I have to fill up once a week for the IS 250 because I have a heavy foot and I had to do the same with the mustang, it just all depends on how your driving habits are and what you prefer, performance or luxury. Also, the amount of space in the cabin. If you need space, definitely go with the Lexus because the Mustang has absolutely no space at all for someone who is over 5'7 (I'm 5'7 1/2 and can barely fit in the back). Hope this helps.
You make a few good points for the Lexus, and I'm going to miss all of them if I get the Mustang. Seeing that what I really want is an IS not a Mustang, this is just bad.

I just wish I could find a good deal on a good IS. I
Old 10-01-13, 08:24 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

I owned a 2003 Mustang V6 for 6 years before buying my IS. The only issues I had with the car was two bad alternators, and a stripped out spark plug socket. Nothing else went wrong on the car the entire time I had it. I bought it in 2007 with 32k Miles, and traded it on my IS in 2013 with 109k miles.

So, this comes down to personal preference and taste.

With the Lexus you get a strong brand, good customer support, and a high value car.

With the Mustang you get a car that has been around forever, a large community, and a sporty yet cheaper car with warranty.

Don't let the people here saying Mustangs are bad and garbage blah blah fool you. Look at each car, determine which one has the features you want, and make your decision.
Old 10-01-13, 09:25 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

so we're clear...

I want a car that would last about 3 years with me, with minimum maintenance and repairs. As well I want a car that would take me from my apartment to my university and back, as well as places nearby. Occasionally I would go on road trips of 2 hours about once every 2 weeks, and without any problems. I'm not looking into performance wise at all. But want I want is a good looking car with low maintenance and repairs done.
neither the IS250 nor the mustang should be considered, given what you've posted.

firstly, it sounds like you'll have limited income, so given that every single dollar counts, you not only want something that is not only inexpensive to maintain and repair but also inexpensive to OWN and DRIVE AROUND.

having said that, both V6 powerplants in the IS250 and the Mustang V6 aren't exactly sipping gas.
at ~$4 per gallon in the state of California, you should probably look at cars that are more gas-efficient (especially so for the Lexus, since it's recommended that you top off your gas tank w/ 91 octane as opposed to 87 octane for the Mustang V6).

you'll also want to think about cost of wear-and-tear items, the biggest one being TIRES. since it's not likely that you'll be doing autocross exhibitions at your college's parking lot, you should know that tires in recommended sizes for the IS250 or the Mustang V6 aren't cheap. simply, the more economical the vehicle, the less the tires cost.

this is not to say that both cars are terrible, but rather, given your situation and deciding factors, you should probably go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate what you're looking for. take the time to make the right decision than to rush into one and end up paying more for it in the long run.

hope this helps.
Old 10-01-13, 09:34 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Although Lexus is a better brand.. The IS250 is not a reliable motor. If you can pick up a IS350 would be Best, but in this comparison. I would pick the lower mileage Mustang..
Old 10-02-13, 05:54 AM
lateapex
Rookie

As a former Mustang owner and current IS250 owner I'll say **** a Mustang, especially a V-6. For me the only exhaust note coming out of the back of Stang should only be V-8 rumble. Go for the IS250 you won't regret it.
Old 10-03-13, 05:35 AM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by projectdna
so we're clear...

neither the IS250 nor the mustang should be considered, given what you've posted.

firstly, it sounds like you'll have limited income, so given that every single dollar counts, you not only want something that is not only inexpensive to maintain and repair but also inexpensive to OWN and DRIVE AROUND.

having said that, both V6 powerplants in the IS250 and the Mustang V6 aren't exactly sipping gas.
at ~$4 per gallon in the state of California, you should probably look at cars that are more gas-efficient (especially so for the Lexus, since it's recommended that you top off your gas tank w/ 91 octane as opposed to 87 octane for the Mustang V6).

you'll also want to think about cost of wear-and-tear items, the biggest one being TIRES. since it's not likely that you'll be doing autocross exhibitions at your college's parking lot, you should know that tires in recommended sizes for the IS250 or the Mustang V6 aren't cheap. simply, the more economical the vehicle, the less the tires cost.

this is not to say that both cars are terrible, but rather, given your situation and deciding factors, you should probably go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate what you're looking for. take the time to make the right decision than to rush into one and end up paying more for it in the long run.

hope this helps.
I wanted the Lexus of the its luxuries and the fact that Japanese cars are built to last. But I wasn't able to get a clean good one at the right price.

So I decided to go with the Mustang. I can get a newer car (presumably with less issues) for the same money. I got a used 2013 with just 17k miles. And I was able to get it in leather, with navigation, and back sensors. So I did manage to snag a few luxuries in.

I hope it was the right choice.
Old 10-03-13, 05:38 AM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by lateapex
As a former Mustang owner and current IS250 owner I'll say **** a Mustang, especially a V-6. For me the only exhaust note coming out of the back of Stang should only be V-8 rumble. Go for the IS250 you won't regret it.
My money won't get me a good IS250, but it would get me a clean Mustang.

ISo bought a 2013 v6 yesterday. I know you don't like the engine, but at least the v6 has decent mileage (just like the IS).

Old 10-03-13, 05:39 AM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Although Lexus is a better brand.. The IS250 is not a reliable motor. If you can pick up a IS350 would be Best, but in this comparison. I would pick the lower mileage Mustang..
I took your advice. I bought a 2013 v6 mustang with 17k miles.
Old 10-03-13, 05:42 AM
malanjari
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
I owned a 2003 Mustang V6 for 6 years before buying my IS. The only issues I had with the car was two bad alternators, and a stripped out spark plug socket. Nothing else went wrong on the car the entire time I had it. I bought it in 2007 with 32k Miles, and traded it on my IS in 2013 with 109k miles.

So, this comes down to personal preference and taste.

With the Lexus you get a strong brand, good customer support, and a high value car.

With the Mustang you get a car that has been around forever, a large community, and a sporty yet cheaper car with warranty.

Don't let the people here saying Mustangs are bad and garbage blah blah fool you. Look at each car, determine which one has the features you want, and make your decision.
I got the Mustang. A used 2013 v6 with just 17k miles. I hope it lasts me well like yours did.
Old 10-03-13, 06:46 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I think you did a great choice. An IS with that many mileage on that price would have been a huge mistake. Way overpriced and prone to expensive maintenance bills. Enjoy your new ride and let us know how you like it.
Old 10-04-13, 10:31 PM
lateapex
Rookie

My money won't get me a good IS250, but it would get me a clean Mustang.

ISo bought a 2013 v6 yesterday. I know you don't like the engine, but at least the v6 has decent mileage (just like the IS).

It still has 300hp! Post some pics! I still like Mustangs
Old 10-05-13, 03:01 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

I love mustangs as well, mustang fan at heart. Would love to see some pics ^_^

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 250 or Ford Mustang V6