IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

URGENT: How to transfer stuff from old headlight to LED?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 05:27 PM
derekw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: How to transfer stuff from old headlight to LED?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I just purchased some LED headlights second hand, but I have no idea how to transfer everything from my old HID equipped headlights to my new LED headlights. There are missing spots like the blinker signals and stuff. I only installed the DRL and I got stuck afterwards. My car is basically sitting in my garage cause I took everything apart, and I don't want to reinstall the bumper before i get this thing accomplished.

How did you guys transfer all the lights? What else did you guys need to buy? Am I missing certain things?

I tested the headlight and the low beam bulb is already in there, I installed the DRL. It turns on for 2-3 seconds and it dies out. I just don't know how to install the turn signal bulbs because there are no wires for me to connect it to.

Sorry for the messy explanation. It's out of sequence.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to what you guys have to say, because I can't even use my car right now, lol.
Old 09-02-13, 12:41 AM
koksik
Lead Lap

Use search button... There is diy how to replace headlights.
Old 09-02-13, 01:04 AM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koksik
Use search button... There is diy how to replace headlights.
That DIY only covers how to replace "Loaded" headlights. His question is about the stripped version...
Old 09-02-13, 01:04 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

There is an extra loom you need which powers the LED and comes with the turn signal holder and connector. You will need two of those looms (one per headlamp). The part number is: 81125-53540 its not that expensive. It comes with the rubber grommet that covers the LED connector opening.

Once you have this loom, it consists of 5 pins, 2 of which are the turn signal and the 3 bottom row ones are for the LED. I cut-off the 3 and connected my own connector to do custom wiring.

And finally the ballast transfer is slightly delicate so take your time. Remove the screws that hold the ballast in, remove the connector and the D4S bulb, then you will have to remove the connector and exposing just the pins and fish out the wire and then install it on your new headlamp.
Old 09-02-13, 01:53 AM
derekw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahmed24
There is an extra loom you need which powers the LED and comes with the turn signal holder and connector. You will need two of those looms (one per headlamp). The part number is: 81125-53540 its not that expensive. It comes with the rubber grommet that covers the LED connector opening.

Once you have this loom, it consists of 5 pins, 2 of which are the turn signal and the 3 bottom row ones are for the LED. I cut-off the 3 and connected my own connector to do custom wiring.

And finally the ballast transfer is slightly delicate so take your time. Remove the screws that hold the ballast in, remove the connector and the D4S bulb, then you will have to remove the connector and exposing just the pins and fish out the wire and then install it on your new headlamp.
Also, do I need a relay flasher? And why did you cut and do custom wiring?
Thanks!
Old 09-02-13, 03:09 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by derekw
Also, do I need a relay flasher? And why did you cut and do custom wiring?
Thanks!
Yes you need a new 2012 relay flasher. I cut and installed my own relay switching. My LED's are powered from Aux 12V power source, when sidelights are turned on, the aux power source turns off and the sidelight power then powers the LED's on the dim mode.