IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Project - Car Wrap, 2012 FSport Bumper, LED Headlamps and Turn Signal Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 10:50 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TonCruz
That's sick. I want to wrap my roof but who would of thought of wrapping a whole car instead of painting it. Was it cheaper to wrap it then paint??? Great job!
Yeap much cheaper than painting it and it's completely reversible unlike paint. If I went for ordinary gloss white it would have been about 70% cheaper than the pearls white was.

Originally Posted by DKnight350
Looks nice. I wonder how it will look after a year of sun, rain and car washes, and bugs. Will this hold up?
This is why i bought a good brand (Hexis) they've been in the industry for a long time. There are cheap chinese alternatives that damage from UV rays and begin to yellow. I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes It's been 2 weeks since i completed it and i've been on a 2k miles (not km) road-trip. Car got plastered with bugs and washed it all off very easily.

Originally Posted by jakers95
Looks great! F-Sport rims, and the new taillights would complete the look!
Yeap the new taillights are on the todo list. I would love to get the F-Sport rims but unfortunately they don't sell them here in the UK.

Definitely need some nice wheels, on the look out for some.
Old 09-02-13, 10:38 PM
Obleezie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great!
Old 09-03-13, 07:22 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nicely done
Old 09-03-13, 08:25 AM
xZhongChen
Driver School Candidate

So Beautifully Done!
Old 09-04-13, 12:14 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Thanks!

Here are some close-up pics of the front bumper and the second-hand LED headlamp showing panel gap between wing, headlamp and bumper are quite good. There is no gap whatsoever under the headlamp, it's as flush as it can get tucked underneath the headlamp. In the pic it might look like there is a gap but that's a shadow. I will try and take a better picture.

The second-hand headlamp could do with a slight headlamp polish, which I might do sometime soon.

Also, will try and take some pics of the LED's and possibly a video of the LED operation and post it soon.

Old 09-04-13, 01:37 PM
smj
Driver School Candidate

Great job!
You know what you are doing
Old 03-30-14, 03:02 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Just an update....

It's almost a year since I wrapped the car. Wrap is still holding up very well and still looks like fresh paint. We've had a very wet year and everything has held up well.

I haven't had time to do any new mods. Got the new facelift taillights which I will install soon. will give car a wash and post some new pics soon.

In the meantime, for those interested in knowing how I disabled the AFS warning, pics are below. I opened up the instrument cluster. Took out the acrylic rod that transfers the light from the LED on the PCB to the back of the symbol section. I applied insulation tape at the tip of the acrylic rod and re-inserted it in. This way the bottom of the rod is blocked from allowing the light to travel up through the recess.

Here are some pics:

Old 03-31-14, 08:16 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Car looks great!! Good to hear that the wrap is holding up.
Old 03-31-14, 04:17 PM
skramer92
Rookie

nice job, thinking about wrapping my IS350. What did you use to clean and prepare the car before wrapping it?
Old 03-31-14, 04:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice job, you get skills!!!

Now, how do you maintain the paint, I'm sorry, i mean the wrap. Do you wash, clay, polish, and wax on a regular basis treating it like paint?

If you have bird bombs sticking into the wrap which cause some stain, how do you remove it? How do you remove water spots, bugs ...on the wrap? Do you see any spider swirl marks or minor scratches then how do you buff them out?
Old 03-31-14, 04:51 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe you can still apply *water-based wax to the vinyl, that would help protect against bird droppings, water etching and bugs. Not 100% sure though..

*edited

Last edited by sm1ke; 04-01-14 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 01:01 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skramer92
nice job, thinking about wrapping my IS350. What did you use to clean and prepare the car before wrapping it?
Use rubbing alcohol and paper towels, thats after a wash and clay bar of course. Do not use any wax.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Very nice job, you get skills!!!

Now, how do you maintain the paint, I'm sorry, i mean the wrap. Do you wash, clay, polish, and wax on a regular basis treating it like paint?

If you have bird bombs sticking into the wrap which cause some stain, how do you remove it? How do you remove water spots, bugs ...on the wrap? Do you see any spider swirl marks or minor scratches then how do you buff them out?

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I believe you can still apply wax to the vinyl, that would help protect against bird droppings, water etching and bugs. Not 100% sure though..
Basically the bottom line is silicone is your enemy. So you cannot use any cleaner or wax that has any silicone in it. The wrap will not spider or marr like paint will, as far as bird dropping just treat it like you would good paint and remove asap. To clean it personally I used chemical guys stuff, specifically they're meticulous matte detail products designed to help clean and protect matte wraps. They also offer gloss products as well.
Old 01-24-15, 06:45 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

*** UPDATE ***

Here are some recent photos taken of how the car is looking with the wrap on for almost 2 years now.

Please excuse all the road-kill bugs in the following photos

Old 08-10-16, 07:53 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome. Where did you get the pearl white wrap? A lot of the ones I see on ebay look yellowish to me
Old 08-13-16, 06:20 AM
Osigina13
Driver School Candidate

Default Car wrap

Very nice job on the wrap. That's a lot of patience and time invested DIY. Where did you order the wrap. 👍👍👍

Quick Reply: Project - Car Wrap, 2012 FSport Bumper, LED Headlamps and Turn Signal Mirrors