IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stealership Screwing Me Over Or Am I Expecting Too Much? I Cant Tell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 10:15 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stealership Screwing Me Over Or Am I Expecting Too Much? I Cant Tell.

So, Today After working the night shift, I had a sudden thought to get the recall's done since after that, i would not have any time at all. So i look at the Service time for Hendrick Lexus In Merriam Kansas. It's a 2 Hour 30 minute drive from where i live to there [150 Miles.] So i get my appt Online and head out at 9 and reach there at 12. I give them my car, and also tell the service rep that i will need a loaner and preferably a car which i get. Everything is good. Now keep in mind i worked the night shift and havent slept yet. I get the loaner, go do my things and i show him my headlights which are oxydizing in the same place; same width, height etc on both headlights. I tell him it's an 08 Cretified Pre-owned which was bought 1 year 2 months ago and that it should not be doing that. Sure the car is not brand spankin new but it was like "like new" with the CPO. The Service rep tells me that nothing can be done about that, It's not covered in warranty and if i wanted to have it fixed then i would have to pay $80 (I cant remember per headlight or total) and that it's an 11 step process to get it done. He goes on to tell me that if it was Electrical then it would not be a problem and that the headlight housings are not part of the warranty. I also told him how the headlights are starting to yellow out and he says "I can see that and your right but nothing can be done with Warranty" I also had a lot of rock chips on the car and asked him if he can touch it up and he did which i am pretty satisfied. I also asked him to look at the subwoofer in the back because it was rattling (or something in the back is) to which he took a look at but said nothing can be done right now because it's Sunday and they only have 1 person working on the cars. And the last thing that really pushed my button's was i read on here that if you take your car in for warranty then you get a FULL tank of gas for no charge, Instead i got a $25 gift card for Quik Trip. I was pretty sure i would get a Full Tank for gas but nope. I asked him about it and he said "You have a half of tank of gas" but i really only had 1/4 left on the tank. Also, They washed the car and made it shiny and all but there was still so much brake dust all in the space of the spokes of the front rims. I also asked him how much 2012 Headlights cost and he said "It's about $3,000" so i say "WHAT?" and he goes "yea, they are expensive" then he goes inside and i tag along with him and he goes in the back of the parts dept for less then 5 minutes and comes back and says "It's $900 per side" and i am like "ok...." Overall service i thought was ok, I dont know, Was I expecting too much ?

Here is the map of the 150 Mile drive which took me 3 hours because i took a whole bunch of stops

Also, That dealership sells Vossen Rims.... The Price? Wait for it...............(Price Under Image)

$5,000 with tires. He showed me a LS460 with the Vossen CV5's (20 Inches) and on the Sticker it said "Aftermarket Wheel Package: $5,000".

Sorry for the long post. It's been a long day.

P.S. I was given a 2011 or 2012 IS250 AWD and it felt the same as my 08. Only difference i felt was the brakes wer not all that responsive. I did like the fact that it had Bluetooth and handsfree calling/voice activation in the Non-Navi. I do wish i had that feature instead of the AUX. lol

Last edited by krUnALv99; 08-18-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 10:32 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you were tired!!! I assume you got the recalls done. I went with an empty tank and asked about fuel and got $50 worth of free gas. The headlights are a normal wear on the housing. There really isn't anything that can be done. Sucks to drive that far especially after work but nobody can help you there. You got a loaner which is correct and that was fine. He really didn't know the price of the headlights off the top of his head but he doesn't work at the parts counter. The car wash was free (a lot of people NEVER let someone else wash their car be aide of poor washing and potential scratching including myself) and its not a detail so that's a split in my eyes. I think you got done what you needed done but got an interesting gift card instead of fuel. Other than that I think you're expecting a bit too much. You asked so I told you my opinion.
Old 08-18-13, 10:34 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I think you were tired!!! I assume you got the recalls done. I went with an empty tank and asked about fuel and got $50 worth of free gas. The headlights are a normal wear on the housing. There really isn't anything that can be done. Sucks to drive that far especially after work but nobody can help you there. You got a loaner which is correct and that was fine. He really didn't know the price of the headlights off the top of his head but he doesn't work at the parts counter. The car wash was free (a lot of people NEVER let someone else wash their car be aide of poor washing and potential scratching including myself) and its not a detail so that's a split in my eyes. I think you got done what you needed done but got an interesting gift card instead of fuel. Other than that I think you're expecting a bit too much. You asked so I told you my opinion.
Well, I guess it was me then, Thanks for the reply!
Also, $50 is almost a full tank. haha. I will take a picture of the gift card if i can find it tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT:
I came back at 6 P.M. Slept from 6 P.M to 10 P.M and Am now back to work till 5 A.M. I will sleep from 5 A.M to 7 A.M and headout for class at 8 A.M.
Ah, the "College Life."

P.S. I only got 1 recall done. It was the Wire for the Trunk Latch from the inside if you or someone gets trapped in the trunk recall. The Wiper nut recall was not done because "Lexus is still having problems with the nut breaking off or falling off so that cant be done.

EDIT 2:Is there "Goodwill" for headlights? I've never used it and have no clue how that all works.

Last edited by krUnALv99; 08-18-13 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 02:33 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres no goodwill for headlights as per a wear and tear item. Its like asking the dealership to goodwill a paint job cause someone keyed your car for example...

headlights may be 900 per side, so 1800 in parts alone. labor would probably be 500 dollars or so to install? don't really know about that one though.
Old 08-19-13, 05:52 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no goodwill for cleaning the lights or warranty however if u build a relationship with an advisor they will do it for you. I had my advisor do mine right before I switch but then again I bought 3 cars from JM Lexus. Also the $5000 price tag for Vossen at dealers that's Nationwide...actually I've seen some go as high as $6500. They mark up those things a lot bec you're financing so they make that plus interest....and it's not just Vossen it's any aftermarket wheels that they sell down here in Florida

Last edited by Sffd103; 08-19-13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-19-13, 06:56 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Wait, I don't quite understand this entitled mentality.

Why would the dealer be expected to give you a free tank of gas?

I would imagine that that would be like icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

You went in for recalls and to try to get them to repair wear and tear items (headlights) for free. They washed your car, patched up some rock chips, and gave you a gift card...

But you complain about brake dust between spokes . These aren't professional detailers. They're not bending down and cleaning each wheel with a horsehair brush by hand.

I think you were expecting a bit much as the owner of a CPO entry model luxury sedan. I would have been ecstatic if I received that kind of service from my dealers here. You must have just heard some wildly rosy stories about that dealership which led you to drive 150(!!) miles to a lexus dealership.

Sorry - just my two cents.
Old 08-19-13, 08:38 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That guy must've been SO ANNOYED. He went above and beyond.

From service department guy's point of view:

You:
Fix the wear and tear on my housings. My lights are starting to yellow, clear them up. Oh Look! I got paint chips! Um, you didn't wash it right. Let's take a trip to the parts department shall we? Give me a loaner will ya? Of my choosing thank you very much. Wait... No gas money?!

I'm sure you're not a jerk but this is the way it comes off.

Anyways, lesson of the day...don't go to stealerships.

MEAHT
Old 08-19-13, 10:07 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You should have got the free tank of gas ... but otherwise, you're expecting too much.
Old 08-19-13, 11:33 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

to answer the question that is the title of this thread...

yes, you are expecting too much.
Old 08-19-13, 11:51 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headlights are expensive... even used. Just check out the classified section, you gotta be a baller to replace the headlights. If headlights are starting yellow/oxidize, you can buff them out yourself... easily. Just buy the Mothers or other headlight cleaning kits. If it's really bad, you may have to try a few times. But eventually, it should clear up. Kit shoud cost no more than $30.

Don't go dealeship to buy aftermarket parts... there is a big mark up. This is the golden rule. They have to make money some where.

If you thought that was service bad... wait until you walk into an Acura dealership I sat in waiting room for 2 hours with nothing to drink or snack on. No wifi... I ended up watching the news.

I learned to love Lexus Dealership more after that trip.

I never expected free gas after a service at Lexus Dealer and I never knew about that. But at least I get free refreshment (soda/coffee/expresso), snacks, and wifi.
Old 08-19-13, 12:38 PM
350n350
Rookie

I have been servicing my car there for years, since they were at Stateline location.

They have great service, I don't even need to mention anything about filling up gas with the recalls, they always do it for me everytime. One time my gas was way below E, I bring my car in for oil change, my service adviser told me that they had perform a recall service (I don't remember what it was for) and filled up my tank with premium....I was surprised, lol.

But I don't let them wash my car though, I always find some light scratches when they washed mine. And I always need to have them fixed it.

All of service advisers are pretty nice, but usually have Craig takes care of my service.
Old 08-19-13, 02:20 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Um I don't think they will fill up your tank for a trunk latch recall. Don't know where you heard that from but they only fill it up after the carbon build up recall or the piston recall which make the car shake.
Old 08-19-13, 02:21 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by my1s250
Um I don't think they will fill up your tank for a trunk latch recall. Don't know where you heard that from but they only fill it up after the carbon build up recall or the piston recall which make the car shake.
Filled my tank with that recall...
Old 08-19-13, 03:44 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It's Lexus's policy to fill up gas on a recall -- doesn't matter what the recall is.
Old 08-20-13, 09:30 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nosurprise
It's Lexus's policy to fill up gas on a recall -- doesn't matter what the recall is.
Oh really? I've never heard of this. Thanks for the heads up, fellas!!

Quick Reply: Stealership Screwing Me Over Or Am I Expecting Too Much? I Cant Tell.