IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shifter clicks after "Park" is selected...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Shifter clicks after "Park" is selected...?

Anyone experience this? For several months now, on level ground, after I put the car in park and engage the e-brake, the shifter makes one final movement into the Park position. Doesn't happen all the time, but noticing it more lately. Will also do it if I don't use the e-brake. Dealer blamed it on the e-brake "paw" (whatever that is), but that can't be since it also happens with no e-brake.

Did some searches here and nothing came up. Sound like something? I'm assuming this is connected to the powertrain and thus falls under warranty?

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-11-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 12:07 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 99% sure its the shifter lock. Happens to mine too. I wouldn't worry about it. If someone else could drop some knowledge on this then that would be awesome.
Old 08-11-13, 12:13 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does this too.. I thought it was just locking into place. I could be wrong though
Old 08-11-13, 01:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

A couple of more notes about it. Did not start until I had my tires changed and the car was on jacks. I'm thinking that may have put stress on the system. With that into account, it's never done it before so I'm not sure how "normal" this clicking is.
For those who have it, has it happened since new or did it crop up eventually?
Old 08-11-13, 02:10 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Pretty sure its happened since i first bought it.. I havent had any major tire work besides balancing and alignment. I've noticed if I hold the shift in park with my hand before i turn it off it wont make the sound
Old 08-11-13, 04:33 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It's the shift-lock mech. The few times I've heard the same noise, I've noticed the shifter move ever so slightly within the "Park" position to the left...putting it into the "locked" Park position.
Old 08-11-13, 10:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
It's the shift-lock mech. The few times I've heard the same noise, I've noticed the shifter move ever so slightly within the "Park" position to the left...putting it into the "locked" Park position.
Yes, that's exactly it. Usually happens right after I shut off the egnition.

So is any of this connected to the powertrain warranty? I'd like to have it corrected.
Old 08-12-13, 12:16 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It usually may do it if you're not on a flat surface and the car moves a wii bit as things lock in.
Old 08-12-13, 12:39 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
It usually may do it if you're not on a flat surface and the car moves a wii bit as things lock in.
It started that way, but now does it on flat surfaces. Becoming more common each week.
Old 08-12-13, 03:53 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

This is normal, mine does it too, and has from day one. I asked them to check it out when I went for 30k service. They did and said it's a normal characteristic of the car. They asked if I'd like to speak to the lead mechanic about it for more explanation and I said yes, and he explained why it happens but, since I'm not very knowledgeable about the topics he was speaking of (and because some time has passed), I wouldn't be able to repeat exactly what he said here except to say it's normal.

The loaner I drove during that service was 2 yrs newer than mine, and I felt that it was less noticeable in that car than in mine. Slight manufacturing variances perhaps, or maybe subtle design improvements.

Either way, it's normal and not cause for concern.
Old 08-13-13, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all for the explanations. I'll bookmark this page and pull it up for when I take the car in again. I'm okay with this being normal, but now I'm starting to get the click when I turn the car on, not just off.
Old 08-13-13, 03:20 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks all for the explanations. I'll bookmark this page and pull it up for when I take the car in again. I'm okay with this being normal, but now I'm starting to get the click when I turn the car on, not just off.
If it doesn't click when you shut off the car it will probably click when you start it. Because you will move the car a little bit when you get in or the engine vibration will. If you don't want to hear the click, shift to N and firmly depress the parking brake then shift to P. Alternately, on a flat surface, turn the front wheels to left or right then shift to P so the car doesn't roll. It act like this on my current IS and the passed one. And it will do it more often the longer you have the car.
Old 08-13-13, 10:39 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
While you have all the right in the world to have a shop look at this, you are wasting your time. This is a feature of the car, you are just making it out to be an issue because you just started noticing it and somehow made the connection to when you had work done.

While it is good to pay attention to your car and pick up on changes like this, you at the same time need to include logic into this. I mean what are you expecting them to do other than charge you a diagnostic fee? I really doubt they will disable this core safety feature.
Old 08-13-13, 12:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Try this; if you don't get the click sound the next time you put it in PARK, rock back and forth in your seat while watching the shifter. See if it slightly moves and if you get the click sound.
Old 08-13-13, 05:43 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I typically do when parking a car:

1. Once at the target spot, with foot on brake, shift to N.
2. Apply emergency brake, then let go of the normal brake. The car will move a bit but stay stopped by the emergency brake.
3. Step on normal brake again to shift from N to P.
4. Let go of the normal brake and exit car.

This allows the car to stay in one place by the emergency brake, instead of by the pressure from gear on the transmission. I have been doing this for a long time but of course, I am not sure if new technology nowadays have better way to reduce the wear and tear on transmission.