IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Following items are not covered under CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 07:01 PM
cshin6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following items are not covered under CPO warranty?

Hello all,

I have a CPO is250 awd. It is still under 100k miles and 1.5 years from the purchase, so it is currently under CPO policy. I had a few troubles with my car so I took it to the dealership and this is what I received.

1. Center pipe of the exhaust system is corroded and needs to be replaced. I can either go to a local shop to weld a part of the pipes or replace the whole exhaust out of my pocket.

2. Rear brake calipers' pins are cut so brake components are no longer attached, which is the reason I hear metal clinging noises whenever I go over a bump.

3. Front upper control arms are in bad shape and need to be replaced as well. .

If I was to perform all jobs listed at the dealer, it would cost me over 2k. I searched for other information but I could not get exact lists of what Lexus CPO covers. However, I did find that Cadillac CPO covers the brake system and the control arms.

So finally, is it true that Lexus CPO policy does not cover these items?

Thank you for reading.
Old 08-08-13, 07:44 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Can't comment on 2 and 3, but I had two of the pipes in my exhaust system replaced at a local muffler shop for 90 dollars. Well, they cut out chunks and welded in new parts to replace the rusted ones. So you can definitely save tons of money there. Car sounds just like it did when I first bought it.
Old 08-08-13, 09:48 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

seems like all those item are wear and tear item so maybe thats why they arent cover under warranty .
Old 08-09-13, 08:11 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cshin6
Hello all,

I have a CPO is250 awd. It is still under 100k miles and 1.5 years from the purchase, so it is currently under CPO policy. I had a few troubles with my car so I took it to the dealership and this is what I received.

1. Center pipe of the exhaust system is corroded and needs to be replaced. I can either go to a local shop to weld a part of the pipes or replace the whole exhaust out of my pocket.

2. Rear brake calipers' pins are cut so brake components are no longer attached, which is the reason I hear metal clinging noises whenever I go over a bump.

3. Front upper control arms are in bad shape and need to be replaced as well. .

If I was to perform all jobs listed at the dealer, it would cost me over 2k. I searched for other information but I could not get exact lists of what Lexus CPO covers. However, I did find that Cadillac CPO covers the brake system and the control arms.

So finally, is it true that Lexus CPO policy does not cover these items?

Thank you for reading.
Take a look at this PDF, on the last page.
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum..._Pre_Owned.pdf
It shows what Lexus extra care covers, but that is pretty much an extension of the CPO warranty so everything shown there on that last page in the detailed list should be covered under the standard 3yr/100k CPO as well.

1. Not covered by even the corrosion warranty (that applies to body panels only i believe) and would be seen as wear and tear - since you are probably driving a lot in the rain or snow for that to happen. (It's an excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust )

2. warranty says calipers are covered. but its the pins so not sure..

3. sounds like they should be covered under the CPO Warranty. I did a quick search and I was able to find at least one thread where an LS owner got their control arms replaced under warranty. The PDF shows it as being covered under suspension as well.
Old 08-10-13, 03:47 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

I would call Lexus or call another dealer.