IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Upgrading a IS350 premium to ML system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 04:32 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrading a IS350 premium to ML system

Im wanting to upgrade my Premium Package IS350 to a ML system. What parts will I need? Is it as simple as a CDC and Amp swap? Is the premium Amp the same as the one in the ML system? Will I need to get any extra speakers? Do I have mounts already for the extra speakers if I am lacking them?
Old 07-10-13, 07:08 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, if you want to upgrade you really should go aftermarket. I tried doing OE integration with my '06 but still wasn't happy with the result. When I did my install, there were no dash kits available so I made mine from scratch. The higher end aftermarket speakers and amps that you can install now are so much better than what you would get from upgrading to the ML system, and the cost would likely be comparable. For what it's worth, there are extras speaker in the ML system (center channel for sure), but what I run now (as do many others on CL) would put the factory ML system to shame. Shop prices for both options and make your own decision.
Old 07-10-13, 08:45 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Except If I upgrade to a OEM equipped system it will actually raise the resale value of the car.
Plus on top of that I want to keep it classy, I'm an audiophile, I don't want something that will make the block rattle, just something quality. Now before you start, I know I could throw a bunch of money at it and upgrade to custom speakers etc. but I'm just looking to keep it reasonable.

Last edited by GaaraOTS; 07-10-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 10:44 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know Slammer1 and I have big booming ststems but I'd say if you want quality sound and are an audiophile is just replace the door speakers and add a center channel like the ML (as I did) and a nice quality amp to run those speakers like a 5 channel. If you want a sub there's many options as well. Still worth the same as ML on the resale in my opinion.
Old 07-11-13, 05:26 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GaaraOTS
Except If I upgrade to a OEM equipped system it will actually raise the resale value of the car.
Plus on top of that I want to keep it classy, I'm an audiophile, I don't want something that will make the block rattle, just something quality. Now before you start, I know I could throw a bunch of money at it and upgrade to custom speakers etc. but I'm just looking to keep it reasonable.
i acutally doubt it will raise your resale value especially if you trade the car in or even sell it to let say carmax. What dealers typically do is input the Vin# into a PC and it will pull up all the options the car came with from the factory. The only way I actually see you getting a bit extra would be if you sold the car privately.
Old 07-11-13, 06:23 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I have to say the money your gonna have to put into the conversion will out weigh the resale value you think it will increase. It a car audio not a home.
Old 07-11-13, 06:30 AM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Originally Posted by B16da9
i acutally doubt it will raise your resale value especially if you trade the car in or even sell it to let say carmax. What dealers typically do is input the Vin# into a PC and it will pull up all the options the car came with from the factory. The only way I actually see you getting a bit extra would be if you sold the car privately.
You underestimate my hustle sir.
Old 07-11-13, 06:32 AM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I know Slammer1 and I have big booming ststems but I'd say if you want quality sound and are an audiophile is just replace the door speakers and add a center channel like the ML (as I did) and a nice quality amp to run those speakers like a 5 channel. If you want a sub there's many options as well. Still worth the same as ML on the resale in my opinion.
So the ML system has an extra center channel and sub that the premium system doesn't have?
Do I have grills and mounts already for these?
Old 07-11-13, 06:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The KBB difference number on a say '10 IS 350 trade in value with ML is $225 more than the same IS350 without ML.
I wouldn't buy an IS with a added after ML system.
Old 07-11-13, 07:36 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are looking at a 2k plus investment, between the head unit, amps and drivers its not worth it.
Old 07-11-13, 10:23 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So the ML system has an extra center channel and sub that the premium system doesn't have?
Do I have grills and mounts already for these?
The grille is in the center dash. We put a 3.5" Hertz mid in there and ran the wiring. I think there's some speakers on the rear deck also I believe. Here is what I did. Definitely not cheap or practical. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...with-pics.html
Old 07-11-13, 11:44 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

So the ML system adds the front in-dash center channel speaker, and a special ML sub (which blows more often than a "stock system", and the ML amp. Besides getting the DVD-playing ability in the console, are there any other differences?
Old 07-11-13, 12:33 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
The grille is in the center dash. We put a 3.5" Hertz mid in there and ran the wiring. I think there's some speakers on the rear deck also I believe. Here is what I did. Definitely not cheap or practical. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...with-pics.html
ok cool, I may go aftermarket then for any additional speakers I will have to install (nobody will see them anyways). What about the ML sub location?
Old 07-11-13, 12:49 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Ok, so I had some time to sit down and do some digging, and it looks like I have all the speakers for the ML minus the front center channel( I do have the grill for it though, just unused). the rear tweeters in the ML system are in a different location than the premium system, BUT they both have them and the sub (see diagrams below).
Apparently all I will have to do Is find a aftermarket tweeter/midrange for the center channel and mount it. Question is, is the premium amp the same as the ML amp, or will I have to swap amps to get the center channel working?

[Anyone know the wattage and impedance on the center channel 3.5"?]

Mark Levinson System Diagram:

Premium/Pioneer System Diagram:

Last edited by GaaraOTS; 07-11-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 01:39 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on the impedence of the center channel but I know others have referenced it here before. I don't believe there are three different factory amps for our cars, either standard or Mark Levinson? As far as powering the center channel goes, why not just tap one of the factory mid range outputs?

As far as my system goes, I still have my factory cd changer and all of my factory speakers. If I ever did sell the car, I would definitely be putting it back to stock. Way too much money in my stereo to pass it on to someone else.

Last edited by Slammer1; 07-11-13 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading a IS350 premium to ML system