IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got rearended!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-13, 05:22 AM
ZNation
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rearended!!!!

So I was stopped at an intersection and next thing I know I hear screeching brakes....and BOOM...

Apparently she didnt hit me as hard as I felt it inside. there is very little damage to my bumper which was quite impressive actually...Not even a dent...but definitely some paint flaking and cracking. There are two slightly raised spots as well that probably from some type of reinforcement underneath the bumper. So my question is, do I look for a brand new replacement or just a clean up job? Nothing else looks to be damaged at all. The other driver doesn't want to go through insurance either, so I'm looking to get a quote done today/tomorrow on the bumper from the dealer. Anyone have an estimate on what that'll run?
Old 07-08-13, 05:34 AM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

You will want to have everything checked out. Just because there are no real visible damages doesn't mean that there isn't something else broken. Go through the insurance process for the person that hit you and get your car checked out. I would opt for a new bumper if possible. Impact wise it probably doesn't have the same crash integrity it had before. Safety first there - make sure everything is alright.

The quote your getting should really be not about cosmetic but ensuring that the accident you were in gets resolved to the fullest. You don't owe the person that hit you any favors, not to b a jerk but this is why we pay insurance.
Old 07-08-13, 05:44 AM
magnuscat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tarrant64
You will want to have everything checked out. Just because there are no real visible damages doesn't mean that there isn't something else broken. Go through the insurance process for the person that hit you and get your car checked out. I would opt for a new bumper if possible. Impact wise it probably doesn't have the same crash integrity it had before. Safety first there - make sure everything is alright.

The quote your getting should really be not about cosmetic but ensuring that the accident you were in gets resolved to the fullest. You don't owe the person that hit you any favors, not to b a jerk but this is why we pay insurance.
I agree with Tarrant. The problem with modern bumpers it that they will hide a lack of apparent damage. Usually a force smashing into modern bumpers will cause the bumper to absorb and collapse inward as it does so. Some systems, and I am not hugely aware of the structural make up of the Lexus bumper, are made to absorb huge amounts of impact, once. in other words if it isn't replaced, the next time the bumper is already collapsed and the damage to your car and maybe you, could be far greater even with far less of an impact. Just something to consider. If you were driving a pickup I would say move on, but on a sedan not so sure.
Old 07-08-13, 05:48 AM
ZNation
Driver

Thanks guys, Yeah I agree with both of you about the integrity of the bumper going forward...plus I owe this other driver nothing as you said.
Old 07-08-13, 08:36 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear and glad you're alright. Get it done Right! It's not your fault anyway, so you won't get a hit on your insurance.
Old 07-08-13, 09:54 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just like everyone is saying, go with the insurance it your loss if you don't. Plus there's a possibility of frame damage, because bumpers nowadays can go in and pop right out. Just take your car for a ull estimate and do it right.
Old 07-08-13, 02:15 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

You are not at fault so I would go through insurance and have insurance handle all the details to save time.

No matter how little the impact may seem, there could be damage once the bumper is removed and the frame is checked.

Good luck with everything. Glad to hear you are OK and able to walk away.
Old 07-08-13, 02:23 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

any pictures of the damage?
Old 07-08-13, 03:42 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

x2 on going through with the insurance. It's safer for you overall financially.

Back when I got rear ended in my eclipse, there was just minor scratches on my rear bumper, but they took that off and saw the rear bumper beam was cracked which was pretty expensive to fix.

Also, how hard did she hit you? Did you have anybody else in the car with you? Regardless, my main concern for you is if you (and anybody in your car) had whiplash that can cause your spine to go out of place and need to get aligned by a chiropractor. This can get expensive quickly as it cost me (the other party's insurance) about 3k worth of medical bills just because my spine was very slightly out of place from the accident.
Old 07-08-13, 04:37 PM
minato
Pole Position

hey ZNation,
give thanks and be happy you are ok, cars can always replaced, I would take it to a reputable shop and get it inspected. check your exhausts, I got rear ended last year and upon looking at the car no damages, further inspection revealed my exhaust had shifted a bit, so I would say take it to a body shop you know and get a nice quote and if this person is willing to pay out of pocket , fine. because I know Ontario's has a no fault insurance. and you will have to call your insurance to get your car fixed, and this an affect your premium
Old 07-08-13, 08:36 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my 13 IS 250 got totaled, I was hit from the rear, and then pushed into the car in front of me. The rear may "look" like it holds up well, but its all about what is underneath the bumper cover...
Take your car to an authorized Lexus repair facility. Nothing but OEM parts. I know all the insurance stuff will be stressful, but don't back down. It wasn't your fault, so don't settle for anything less than you deserve.
Attached Thumbnails Got rearended!!!!-img_2596.jpg   Got rearended!!!!-img_2721.jpg  
Old 07-08-13, 08:39 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad day for us I supposed, I got t-boned by someone who ran stop sign this afternoon
Old 07-09-13, 11:56 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Take the car to the dealership, if you plan to do a cash-only repair w/o insurance. Have them remove the bumper, check out the damage behind, pull the trunk covers, and look for damage at the crumple zones. Those are spots built into the car that are too take the blunt-force out of the accident and could very well be damaged on your car.

Be VERY VERY careful if deciding to go w/o insurance; I'd just not suggest it.