IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 Lexus IS350 Paddle Shifter not working!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 03:58 PM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 Lexus IS350 Paddle Shifter not working!

My DOWN paddle shifter is not working! The UP one works fine and the selection of UP and DOWN on the transmission gear selector work perfectly fine. It is just my DOWN shifter on the steering wheel (left side), will not work.

What can I do to fix this??? I tried searching but found nothing at all.
Old 06-29-13, 05:38 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you don't hear any beeps right?

If its really broken I would only assume fuse related issue or just needing to replace the paddle, and that should be at most junkyards.
Old 06-29-13, 05:40 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Sorry to burst your bubble but those aren't paddle shifters at all. They are top gear limiters.
Old 06-29-13, 06:02 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Sorry to burst your bubble but those aren't paddle shifters at all. They are top gear limiters.
Omg
Old 06-29-13, 07:24 PM
Chuy250
Pole Position

I'm guessing and hoping it is just a fuse, but it can be the whole left peddle shiftier. A buddy of mine had the same problem, with the left one as well, He had to change the whole paddle. He bought them from ebay. He got the ISF ones with the blue plus and minus sign for 240 shipped.
Old 06-29-13, 10:11 PM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Thanks for pointing out the obvious and assuming I have no idea what kind of car I drive. I called them paddle shifters because that is exactly what they are.

I have a problem with them, so I had to use some sort of noun to indicate what my problem was for, sorry I didnt use your politcally correct term of "top gear limiter".What they are called doesn't matter, the question I asked does, your post does not help the community.

Thank you very much to those of you that had a helpful response to my question, your help is much appreciated, as I browse these forums regularly and it is you all that makes this a great forum.
The following users liked this post:
JDub0830 (03-26-23)
Old 06-29-13, 10:16 PM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vapid2323
And you don't hear any beeps right?

If its really broken I would only assume fuse related issue or just needing to replace the paddle, and that should be at most junkyards.

No beeps, doesn't do anything. Where would the fuse be? If it isn't the fuse would there be anything else to check?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-13, 11:46 PM
lopaka07
Rookie

Does your shifter allow you to down shift?
Old 06-30-13, 07:06 AM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lopaka07
Does your shifter allow you to down shift?
Yes I can with my shifter it can perfectly, no problem there at all. Nothing with the paddle though, it is dead.
Old 08-19-13, 05:39 PM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Still having this issue.....anyone else?
Old 08-19-13, 08:51 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

If the fuse was out neither paddle would work.
You have a lose wire, remove the steering wheel and inspect to make sure the plug didn't come out during a hard turn/bump in road.
Old 02-22-14, 01:46 PM
jchauncey
Driver School Candidate

Megaman - are you still having this problem?

CCJ22 - do you know of a forum, off hand, that would have instructions on how to remove the steering wheel? If so, thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-14, 04:20 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jchauncey
Megaman - are you still having this problem?

CCJ22 - do you know of a forum, off hand, that would have instructions on how to remove the steering wheel? If so, thanks in advance.
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2012/4857.html
You will find the instructions here on the right in a video.
Old 02-22-14, 04:39 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Megaman096
Thanks for pointing out the obvious and assuming I have no idea what kind of car I drive. I called them paddle shifters because that is exactly what they are.

I have a problem with them, so I had to use some sort of noun to indicate what my problem was for, sorry I didnt use your politcally correct term of "top gear limiter".What they are called doesn't matter, the question I asked does, your post does not help the community.

Thank you very much to those of you that had a helpful response to my question, your help is much appreciated, as I browse these forums regularly and it is you all that makes this a great forum.
Those paddles are there for show, they don't directly shift the car. I have a quote from a forum member that explains our paddle shifters and "S/Sport mode":

Originally Posted by Kurtz
yeah, this is done, and done easily, for free... do a search it's been covered....no need to spend $ on the TOMs thing.

That said, you might want to be aware that the car is an automatic. Even in S mode you never, ever, shift the car directly. The only thing the shifter, or the paddles, can do is change the maximum allowed gear on the car.

If you're in S-3 and going 5 miles an hour, "shifting" to S-4 won't put the car in 4th gear, it'll just expand the range the fully automatic transmission can use from 1-3 to 1-4.

Likewise if you're going 5 miles an hour in S-4, "shifting" to S-3 won't actually downshift the car, it'll just change the range the fully automatic transmission can use from 1-4 to 1-3.

In either case no actual shift will happen by moving the "shifter"

If using the car in a drag race you will always be faster just leaving the shifter in D than wasting your time 'shifting' yourself because only 2 things are possible doing it yourself:

1) You "allow" the next higher gear either exactly when the transmission wanted it, and it shifts exactly like if you had left it in D... (or you "allow" the next gear earlier, same result)

or

2) You "allow" the next higher gear too late, and you bounce off the rev limiter, killing your track time

Fastest setup for drag racing on a 2IS is:

Shifter in D
ECT switch in NORMAL mode, not power
Trac and VSC turned off

If you want to see what a real manual mode is like you'd need to drive an IS-F.
But on topic, the other forum members probably got the answer you were looking for (fuse or unplugged wire).
Old 02-23-14, 05:43 PM
Passat774
Pit Crew

Any other suggestions? Mine had worked before tried today and no luck my down shift currently is not working

Quick Reply: 2006 Lexus IS350 Paddle Shifter not working!