IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New OEM spec rotors too small, is that an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 12:05 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OEM spec rotors too small, is that an issue?

I bought 4 new rotors for my '06 IS350 from Adam's Rotors. As the title says, they are too small. I didn't realize how small they actually were until I swapped them out on my front driver side and my buddy noticed it. I didn't think it would really be a problem until I put my finger behind the one brake pad and noticed that the pad is not fully on the rotor. By that I mean only 75% of the pad is covering the rotor, and since the rotor is too small, there is overhang. I don't think I am able to adjust the position of the caliper, or am I?

Not trashing on Adam's Rotors what so ever, excellent service and product. I am assuming this is just a hick-up of some kind. If you guys have no solution for me I will contact Adam and see whats up.

Pics.

This pic is my old rotor underneath and my new one on top to show the size difference. It looks way worse in person.

Side by side. Looks like the original rotor has a metal ring of about an inch between the contact area and the hub. The dings are from me having to hammer it to get it loose lol

Old 06-25-13, 12:30 AM
lopaka07
Rookie

Definitely the wrong rotor size. Contact Adam's to see what's up
Old 06-25-13, 12:57 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by lopaka07
Definitely the wrong rotor size. Contact Adam's to see what's up
Thanks, will do!
Old 06-25-13, 01:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Why did you hammer your rotor? There are two bolt holes (see arrows) put there specifically so you don't have to do something so foolish to remove the rotors. You just thread bolts into the two holes and it pushes off the rotor without damaging the wheel bearings in the hub. When you beat on the rotor like this, you dent the bearings.

And yes, they sent you the wrong rotors for your car. Do not even try to run them.
Attached Thumbnails New OEM spec rotors too small, is that an issue?-is350-rotor.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-25-13 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 01:01 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Looks like you got IS250 rotors instead of IS350. Definitely going to need the proper rotors. Don't drive on those.
Old 06-25-13, 01:02 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Actually, do you think its safe to put my old rotor back on after i trashed it with a hammer...?
Old 06-25-13, 01:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by gFREAKy
Actually, do you think its safe to put my old rotor back on after i trashed it with a hammer...?
No. Not safe at all.
Old 06-25-13, 01:05 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

I wouldn't... As the previous poster pointed out, you may have damaged the wheel bearings as well.
Old 06-25-13, 01:15 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why did you hammer your rotor? There are two bolt holes (see arrows) put there specifically so you don't have to do something so foolish to remove the rotors. You just thread bolts into the two holes and it pushes off the rotor without damaging the wheel bearings in the hub. When you beat on the rotor like this, you dent the bearings.

And yes, they sent you the wrong rotors for your car. Do not even try to run them.
I eventually got the rotor off using a bolt hole. I hammered the rotor to try and knock it off earlier because I was unable to find a bolt that fit. I finally found a bolt in my neighbors garage and popped my rotor off.

I am actually 100% sure I ordered the right sized rotors. Just gotta find the receipt.
Old 06-25-13, 01:18 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Originally Posted by Crispy
I wouldn't... As the previous poster pointed out, you may have damaged the wheel bearings as well.
I don't think I smacked it THAT hard, but how can I tell if I damaged the bearings? I'm definitely not riding on it though.. Just gonna throw the old rotor back on and let it chill. Sucks cuz its my only car...
Old 06-25-13, 01:18 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

I eventually got the rotor off using a bolt hole. I hammered the rotor to try and knock it off earlier because I was unable to find a bolt that fit. I finally found a bolt in my neighbors garage and popped my rotor off.

I am actually 100% sure I ordered the right sized rotors. Just gotta find the receipt.
Based on the damage I can see to your previous rotors in the above photos, those are not safe to put back on the car. And again, as lobuxracer pointed out, I would have the hub and bearings inspected as well.

Edit - rotate the hub assembly and listen for any grinding noises and feel for friction. I would really suggest having a professional inspect them though.
Old 06-25-13, 01:34 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Based on the damage I can see to your previous rotors in the above photos, those are not safe to put back on the car. And again, as lobuxracer pointed out, I would have the hub and bearings inspected as well.

Edit - rotate the hub assembly and listen for any grinding noises and feel for friction. I would really suggest having a professional inspect them though.
Well as of right now when I spin the wheel (its 4:30 am so I'm not about to take the wheel off) there is a lot of friction and noise... BUT it was only frictiony and noisy after I re-attached the caliper, I may not have compressed the pistons as far as I should have. When it was just the rotor on the hub, it spun perfectly fine and noise free.
Old 06-25-13, 01:39 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Well as of right now when I spin the wheel (its 4:30 am so I'm not about to take the wheel off) there is a lot of friction and noise... BUT it was only frictiony and noisy after I re-attached the caliper, I may not have compressed the pistons as far as I should have. When it was just the rotor on the hub, it spun perfectly fine and noise free.
I'm not a mechanic, but you shouldn't hear any grinding or feel friction as long as the pads are not making contact with the rotor. After you get the correct rotors installed and you set the pads and calipers correctly, if you still have any friction or noise I would recommend you get it checked out promptly.

Last edited by Crispy; 06-25-13 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 01:44 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

I'm not a mechanic, but you should't hear any grinding or feel friction as long as the pads are not making contact with the rotor. After you get the correct rotors installed and you set the pads and calipers correctly, if you still have any friction or noise I would recommend you get it checked out promptly.
I think the pads are contacting the rotor. I will update tomorrow when I have time to remove the wheel, which will be a problem because I just stripped a lug trying to take my wheel off...

Thanks again everyone on CL, best car forum around. Appreciate it.
Old 06-25-13, 02:17 AM
Jaykobo
Driver School Candidate

why you hummring the old rotor......you not having a drum man...it's a disk and once you take off the pads and the cliper brake base and the washer " brass or steel " lock from the bolt it's easily get out by hands

check the pads if the pads completly contact the rotor it's ok and fit in the bearing ...don't worry about the size

if not even by 1mm........gonna make a big problem

you can use the old rotor but keep in mind you need to change the pads when you need to pun new rotor....and the brake wont be that good

if there is a machine for the old rotor do it "if it not completly damge cos the hard hummring

make sure you lose the hand brake "the padel inside the car is in open position " to remove and install the rear disk easily

Last edited by Jaykobo; 06-25-13 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: New OEM spec rotors too small, is that an issue?