IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which choice would you pick Quantity or Quality?
Mobil Syn (or similar) change every 3-5K miles?
65.63%
RP, Eneos or Amsoil change every 10K+ miles?
34.38%
Or just unsure?
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Synthetic Oil change Quantity vs Quality? (read b4 u decide)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 01:01 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting how most of you say the more expensive oil with less oil change frequency... But the polls so far are in favor of cheaper synthetic with more frequent intervals.
Old 06-11-13, 02:23 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by azfsprt
Interesting how most of you say the more expensive oil with less oil change frequency... But the polls so far are in favor of cheaper synthetic with more frequent intervals.
That's not true, the poll is just set up to make it look like if there are only two options. It states "or similar"; however with mobil Syn headlining the choice, it makes it seem like a cheaper synthetic.

I bet the majority of the people here are like me, we all use the higher end oil (I use RP) and all agree that changing less frequently is favored. However, just for the peace of mind, I still change it every 5k. I know i am burning money at this interval, and i advertise to other car people that they can do longer intervals.

That puts me in the first option 5k interval
Old 06-11-13, 04:06 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Here is an interesting article if you have time to read.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...anding-numbers
Today's Oil Goes the Distance
While the car-servicing industry is clear about its reasons for believing in the 3,000-mile oil change, customers cling to it only because they're largely unaware of advances in automotive technology. Among 2013 models, the majority of automakers call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles based on a normal service schedule, more than double the traditional 3,000-mile interval. The longest oil change interval is 15,000 miles for all Jaguar vehicles. The shortest oil change interval is 5,000 miles in some Hyundai and Kia models with turbo engines and Toyota vehicles that call for non-synthetic oil. Toyota has been shifting its fleet to 10,000-mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil.
Old 06-12-13, 01:40 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by edgeucated
That's not true, the poll is just set up to make it look like if there are only two options. It states "or similar"; however with mobil Syn headlining the choice, it makes it seem like a cheaper synthetic.

I bet the majority of the people here are like me, we all use the higher end oil (I use RP) and all agree that changing less frequently is favored. However, just for the peace of mind, I still change it every 5k. I know i am burning money at this interval, and i advertise to other car people that they can do longer intervals.

That puts me in the first option 5k interval
Ok you make a very sound point. But that still begs the question why would u do 5k mi interval rather than the 10k? Granted there is that peace of mind but other than that when technology is constantly changing why still stick to 5k? Would you say you doubt common knowledge on the new benchmark of longer intervals? Is there not enough resources to say that 10k really is the new benchmark interval?
Old 06-12-13, 08:45 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used Amsoil since 30k and currently have just over 70k...I change it every 10k, and the filter every 5k...that is probably overkill, so this last change I used a TRD oil filter and will perform an oil analysis at 75k (5k on the oil).
Old 06-12-13, 09:50 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quick123
I have used Amsoil since 30k and currently have just over 70k...I change it every 10k, and the filter every 5k...that is probably overkill, so this last change I used a TRD oil filter and will perform an oil analysis at 75k (5k on the oil).
Interesting I didn't know you can do that. I would think if you changed the filter when you haven't changed the oil till 10k the oil will spill through the filter hole... Nice.

Keyframe13 nice find that was a very intuitive article!
Old 06-12-13, 10:01 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting I didn't know you can do that. I would think if you changed the filter when you haven't changed the oil till 10k the oil will spill through the filter hole... Nice.
The filter holds about .7 quarts so thats how much would spill out. The rest of the oil will remain in your car so you'll have to still top it off.

I still haven't fully figured out why i change my oil every 5k. Its not that i doubt common knowledge because for all the rest of my other cars im on 7.5-10k oil interval changes. I think its just because I utterly baby my IS and enjoy spending money on it.

Kinda like how we overeat every day. We know for certain we aren't hungry at certain times, but we still find something to munch on. Old habbits/makes us happy
Old 06-12-13, 10:12 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I just did my first oil change last week on my 2008 is250 since buying it from a dealer in town.. I put Mobil 1 5w-20 in it with an OEM filter from Lexus.. the dealer told me he put synthetic in it but when i drained the oil it was fairly black so I'm thinking he was blowin smoke haha.. I also put a 1/4 can of seafoam into the engine and 3/4 can in the gas tank with a full tank of V-power. Since doing that oil change i can safely say this my car is Purrrring! In my 4 month in owning the car i have never heard it sound better then it does. I will be changing my oil every 8,000kms using the mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 06-12-13, 10:23 AM
zydus
Driver School Candidate

I use AMSOIL and change oil ever 15,000 km and the OEM filter every 7000 km. When the filter is changed, I top up any oil that was burnt off.
Old 06-12-13, 12:00 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (Mobil Clean) at the recommended service interval of 5,000 miles.

My intention is to go to what I had with my IS300 which was ENEOS 5w-20 and and OCI (Oil Change Interval) of 7,500 miles. This would be with a sythetic media filter so I could probably go to 10,000 miles without change.
Old 06-12-13, 12:36 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I found this article posted by a member here a while back . The terms in the article are too technical to mee but the idea is that changing the oil too often (3k miles) can shorten your engine life.
Also It seems that Carbon Build-up in IS250 could be prevented you go synthetic and change the oil every 10k miles instead of regular and change it to 3k miles.
Old 06-12-13, 03:26 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I found this article posted by a member here a while back . The terms in the article are too technical to mee but the idea is that changing the oil too often (3k miles) can shorten your engine life.
Also It seems that Carbon Build-up in IS250 could be prevented you go synthetic and change the oil every 10k miles instead of regular and change it to 3k miles.
Wow an even more intuitive link. See what I mean the more and more I read the more I am learning about oil changes, intervals, and types.

This is even better information, I will probably start changing my filter every 5k miles and keep with the 10k miles for the oil. I do notice that on my exhaust tips the black soot is starting to get ridiculous so as mentioned earlier I will probably start doing the seafoam treatment.
Old 06-12-13, 04:37 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
There is already a huge thread about btw, just a fyi.

If your using synthetic oil and changing it in less than 5k miles, your throwing your money away. Synthetic oil will last 10k miles easy, maybe even longer; but the oil filter probably wont.

I use Royal Purple 5W-20 (will be switching to 0W-20) every 7-8k miles
i have to agree with this statement. changing oil at anything less than 5k, you money isnt being well spent.

but i also was running eneos 5w-40 in my last 4 cars, and my 350 but this last oil change im trying the eneos 0w-20. just to try it really
Old 06-13-13, 12:19 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
i have to agree with this statement. changing oil at anything less than 5k, you money isnt being well spent.

but i also was running eneos 5w-40 in my last 4 cars, and my 350 but this last oil change im trying the eneos 0w-20. just to try it really
How is the ENEOS have you noticed anything different from other brands? I can't find any research or testing to show how well it does. I can only find dyno runs with Eneos but no Noack Volatility test or anything else...

Claims of hp and mpg are the only things I hear with eneos, Amsoil and or Royal Purple.
Old 06-13-13, 09:53 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

How is the ENEOS have you noticed anything different from other brands? I can't find any research or testing to show how well it does. I can only find dyno runs with Eneos but no Noack Volatility test or anything else...

Claims of hp and mpg are the only things I hear with eneos, Amsoil and or Royal Purple.
honestly i like it, ive never had any issues running it. ive run it in all my past vehicles within the last 8 years(WRX, 240sx, MR2, LS400, IS350) and didnt have any motor related issues with any of them. i ran 5w-40 in all of them mainly but ive tried the 5w-40, 5w-30, 0w-20, and 0w-50. i even have the eneos tranny fluid in my mr2. so its good stuff to me man

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil change Quantity vs Quality? (read b4 u decide)