IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road Trip! East Coast KS To Pittsburgh, PA + More.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 04:41 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 350n350
Because it looks ugly and not worth doing, lol. Have you seen the new 3M spray film? That might be a good alternative.
Right this.
Old 06-06-13, 05:13 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Because it looks ugly and not worth doing, lol. Have you seen the new 3M spray film? That might be a good alternative.
Ugly? Your opinion

Not worth doing? I dont agree with that. My experience with blue taping is for trips 300-500 miles. My reason was to avoid bugs, dust, and small rock chips. Of course the tape isnt going to prevent rock chips entirely, but if your low and driving ~500 miles, it definitely helps.

The 3M spray sounds interesting but would be harder to remove (IMO) than the tape. Have you tried removing plastidip from large surfaces? Not fun
Old 06-06-13, 08:17 PM
350n350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Ugly? Your opinion

Not worth doing? I dont agree with that. My experience with blue taping is for trips 300-500 miles. My reason was to avoid bugs, dust, and small rock chips. Of course the tape isnt going to prevent rock chips entirely, but if your low and driving ~500 miles, it definitely helps.
My reason is that it's just an IS, it's not some special/rare car, it's a common car. Even if you only drive 5000 miles/yr and have 0 rock chips, the car value is going down anyway. Dealers don't care much about rock chip when you trade it in, they never count how many rock chips a car has...it makes little different whether a car has 1 or 10 because it only cost them very little to touch-up. 4th gen IS is already out on the market, so IS with last gen styling aren't gonna hold that much value anyway.

This is just my opinion, anyone can do whatever the what they own. I'm just explaining why I see it as a hassle.

Originally Posted by bob4256
The 3M spray sounds interesting but would be harder to remove (IMO) than the tape. Have you tried removing plastidip from large surfaces? Not fun
Plastidip? Nah, I don't trust that kind of stuff. The 3M spray suppose turn into flexible film after it was sprayed on a car, so it suppose to peel of like a sheet of vinyl sticker. Many people have confident and trust 3M stuffs, so I'm sure it'll work just like the advertise.
Old 06-07-13, 05:31 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My reason is that it's just an IS, it's not some special/rare car, it's a common car. Even if you only drive 5000 miles/yr and have 0 rock chips, the car value is going down anyway. Dealers don't care much about rock chip when you trade it in, they never count how many rock chips a car has...it makes little different whether a car has 1 or 10 because it only cost them very little to touch-up. 4th gen IS is already out on the market, so IS with last gen styling aren't gonna hold that much value anyway.
Umm......

You know your on a car forum right? A lot of us semi to heavily modify our cars. Its not about trade in value (to me) or anything like that. I cant speak for everyone but I want my car to be as clean as possible. When I see a scratch or rock chip on my front lip for example, I get upset (even though its a replica lip). My car is special to me and its my pride and joy. Im sure a lot of other members feel the same way.
Old 06-07-13, 06:36 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

This is just my opinion, anyone can do whatever the what they own. I'm just explaining why I see it as a hassle.

Plastidip? Nah, I don't trust that kind of stuff. The 3M spray suppose turn into flexible film after it was sprayed on a car, so it suppose to peel of like a sheet of vinyl sticker. Many people have confident and trust 3M stuffs, so I'm sure it'll work just like the advertise.

rare car or not for some of us its still a car that we worked hard to pay for and wasn't given to us by mom and dad so we will take pride and extra care regardless of trade in value or not bc if anything happens it comes out of our pocket not someone elses. In the time of owning my car I don't want rock chips, dents and dings etc in my car. So taking extra precaution to take care of your car is not a hassle.

+1 on Blue painters protection tape
Old 06-07-13, 07:51 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

The statement about the value oft the car not being determined by the condition of the paint is totally false. In buying my Jeep the value of the trade in was the biggest sticking point during negotiations and it was due to the condition of the paint.
Old 06-07-13, 08:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

x2 on the stand up comedy mp3s! Check out Louis C.K. and Kevin Hart. My favorite comedians!

Also toss in music you like to sing along to, helps keep you awake on the long night drives
Old 06-08-13, 01:43 PM
350n350
Rookie

all of your comments are completely justified. I used to feels like that too, the IS is my 10th cars, and for the record, none of the cars that I own or have owned are given to me...I paid for all of them.

What I'm trying to say is - I would rather be enjoying my car, take it where I want and have fun with it rather than spending my day being upset when I see dings and chips on it. BTW, my car is still dings-free ( knock on wood, lol) and only have a few chips on the hood. I commute 70 mile/day on a highway.

Last edited by 350n350; 06-08-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 01:52 PM
350n350
Rookie

Originally Posted by BernieIS
The statement about the value oft the car not being determined by the condition of the paint is totally false. In buying my Jeep the value of the trade in was the biggest sticking point during negotiations and it was due to the condition of the paint.
First, I never said that " value oft the car not being determined by the condition of the paint", those are your word.

I only mention that if the paint weren't too bad ( says, if it were 1 or 10 chips), It wouldn't cause any dealer more than $100 to touch up. A dealer would call have one of those 'dent removal' guys come in once a week to touch up paint chips and they will charge a dealer per car, not by the number of chips. I used to work at Nissan and that how it goes.

But of cause, if your paint is in such a bad condition, then I will matter a lot. Again, the statement I made in my earlier post is ONLY for paint that is in decent condition.

BTW, please excuse my language if I made any grammar mistakes.
Old 06-08-13, 02:31 PM
vboi4life
Pole Position

i do like protect my car but blue tap all over lile BoB car.its no for me.iits just too much for me.i drive my car to too many long trip like from ohio to newyork then boston and canada.chicago.i never put on any protection but til now. the car still look good.i rather pay for detail one in a while.