IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Battery died, charged, now won't start? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 03:44 AM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Battery died, charged, now won't start? Help please!

Ok so for whatever reason my battery died, I'm assuming I left a light on somehow but am not really sure, it's been a few days since I've driven it. So here's what I did:

1. I put a battery charger on it at 2 amps for about 4 hours (didn't disconnect the negative cable first, I'm worried this was a mistake ). Car still won't start.

2. Since it wouldn't start after (1) I put the battery charger on the highest setting for a quick start (I think 50a). All the lights are on in the car but when I push the start button, nothing happens.

3. I read in the owners manual that I was supposed to disconnect the negative cable before charging, so I disconnect the negative cable, put the battery charger on, and the charger says the battery is full. I connect the negative cable, a couple lights come on inside, I press the start button, all lights go out like it died.

I feel like I probably just blew a fuse, I was going to check them last night but it was getting late and decided to mess with it more today. Today I will have a multi-meter with me to make things easier. Just wondering if anyone out there has run into a similar issue. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by clynnh1230; 06-04-13 at 03:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-13, 06:55 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You need new battery. put on new battery and everything is back to normal. Good luck!!!
Old 06-04-13, 08:12 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you connect back your + & - connections just saying
Old 06-04-13, 08:49 AM
HAiS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitebeast
You need new battery. put on new battery and everything is back to normal. Good luck!!!
X2, You can go to an autozone and have them test out the battery for free. good luck!
Old 06-04-13, 09:47 AM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

What makes you all think it's the battery vs. a fuse?
Old 06-04-13, 09:47 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely sounds like the battery is drained beyond the point of being charged. Take battery out, Autozone will do a free test and replace battery if needed.
Old 06-04-13, 10:27 AM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Well I feel like I can check the battery voltage myself first (12.4v - 12.7v ish?). I mean, what do they do at Autozone to check the battery?
Old 06-04-13, 10:48 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clynnh1230
Well I feel like I can check the battery voltage myself first (12.4v - 12.7v ish?). I mean, what do they do at Autozone to check the battery?
You probably can check the voltage yourself, but battery voltage means nothing in this case. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you use a simple voltmeter on the battery you will get 10+ volts, which is enough voltage to start a car. However the battery still may be no good, because the battery may not put out enough amperage to start the car.

The battery checking devices they have at auto parts stores put a load on the battery similar to what happens when you try and start the car, ie they are testing the voltage and amperage output of the battery.
The following users liked this post:
Strlsn (11-10-23)
Old 06-04-13, 11:45 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^------ bingo
Old 06-04-13, 12:15 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by clynnh1230
What makes you all think it's the battery vs. a fuse?
OK, if it's fuses problem, all the light won't go dim or turn off when you crank. Just replace your battery and you'll get answer your own
Old 06-05-13, 06:25 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

samething happened to me last week. Jumped the car and it started. Tried to restart again later and it didn't hold any charges after 20 min of driving around and running. Had a bad costco battery so got a new one from walmart that fits better.
Old 06-05-13, 06:29 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Push start button system is very fuzzy and so it doesn't respond well with recharging battery. Before it let the car start, it will check for votage and other parameters. If any of the condition doesn't meet with the requirement, the engine start procedure won't happen. Change a new battery, and all the problem will be gone.
Old 07-17-13, 01:06 PM
clynnh1230
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late update but yea it just needed a charge. I guess my battery charger is just really crappy and it took forever.
Old 07-17-13, 03:57 PM
VIPIs350
Driver School Candidate

I went to autozone today actually and got mine tested because when I tried to start the car it would sound like it wants to die and it said on there machine I needed a new battery so I asked them if they could replace it and they said they don't recommend Doing it there? But to go to the Lexus dealership since sometimes the battery's make the car not start and reset the ECU on the car and I would have to tow the car to Lexus. Sorry to comment about this on your thread but I was curious if this is true.
Old 07-17-13, 04:40 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VIPIs350
I went to autozone today actually and got mine tested because when I tried to start the car it would sound like it wants to die and it said on there machine I needed a new battery so I asked them if they could replace it and they said they don't recommend Doing it there? But to go to the Lexus dealership since sometimes the battery's make the car not start and reset the ECU on the car and I would have to tow the car to Lexus. Sorry to comment about this on your thread but I was curious if this is true.
I personally haven't heard of having to reset an ECU after replacing a battery... on any car... I know Prius/ CT/ HS have battery ecu's, but they don't need to be reset after replacing the 12V aux battery..

Quick Reply: Battery died, charged, now won't start? Help please!