IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What would you upgrade with $2,000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 11:33 AM
NeuroResid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you upgrade with $2,000?

Hey, everyone. Thanks for the awesome website, and respective resources. I have a 2006 IS 250 with approx. 95,000 miles on it. Hopefully you can see, I try to keep the car as clean as possible. I take pride in what I own, as many of you likely do!

Rather than buying a new car, I've decided to keep this one and use it for the next 5-6 years. Therefore, now, I'm trying to decide what is the best way to invest in the car. As of now, the car runs great, no mechanical or electrical problems or anything of concern. However, I'd like to spend a little money on keeping it "healthy" and possibly making it look a little sharper.

What do you recommend? It does not have xenon lights, although it looks like it should. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible, however possibly upgrading a few parts to make it look like a newer model.

Lastly, the roads (STL) are horrible here. Therefore, I'm thinking a front suspension upgrade may be wise, but your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!

[img=http://s18.postimg.org/4h3j68bwl/DSCN0565.jpg]
[img=http://s21.postimg.org/4u1fv6iwj/DSCN0562.jpg]
[img=http://s11.postimg.org/6gj2wcren/DSCN0559.jpg]
Old 05-07-13, 12:01 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeuroResid
Hey, everyone. Thanks for the awesome website, and respective resources. I have a 2006 IS 250 with approx. 95,000 miles on it. Hopefully you can see, I try to keep the car as clean as possible. I take pride in what I own, as many of you likely do!

Rather than buying a new car, I've decided to keep this one and use it for the next 5-6 years. Therefore, now, I'm trying to decide what is the best way to invest in the car. As of now, the car runs great, no mechanical or electrical problems or anything of concern. However, I'd like to spend a little money on keeping it "healthy" and possibly making it look a little sharper.

What do you recommend? It does not have xenon lights, although it looks like it should. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible, however possibly upgrading a few parts to make it look like a newer model.

Lastly, the roads (STL) are horrible here. Therefore, I'm thinking a front suspension upgrade may be wise, but your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll say what most members on here probably will... Wheels and a drop will go a long way. And since yours isn't equipped with HIDs you can get some to throw in there. Try xenondepot.com, they have some awesome kits for the lights. If you really want the car to look "newer" then you can go as far as swapping the front bumper to the 2011+ style as well as add the lights with the fancy LEDs. Just cruise through the forum and see if anything catches your eye. Good luck, and happy modding.
Old 05-07-13, 12:28 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NeuroResid

Thanks!

Hey Welcome to CL,

Well with horrible roads and trying to keep the car as stock as possible... I would recommend the basics first, Hid (ddmtuning.com) only $40 for a slim kit, Led bulbs for your interior $150-200ish depends but it will keep your interior fresh, definitely a suspension upgrade f-sport shocks and springs keeps its close to stock but upgraded but if your roads are really horrible then go with tein CS they are the best for the buck but a more affordable suspension would be Megan EZ, I would definitely upgrade your wheels to the 18's at least and if you want to look for Lexus wheels there are many available. Last but not least best possible wax you can find and interior protectant especially the leather to keep it from cracking. That should keep your car pretty close to stock at a budget of $2k!

Again, welcome to CL!
Old 05-07-13, 12:35 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

megan ez and some budget wheels
Old 05-07-13, 12:44 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by azfsprt
Hey Welcome to CL,

Well with horrible roads and trying to keep the car as stock as possible... I would recommend the basics first, Hid (ddmtuning.com) only $40 for a slim kit, Led bulbs for your interior $150-200ish depends but it will keep your interior fresh, definitely a suspension upgrade f-sport shocks and springs keeps its close to stock but upgraded but if your roads are really horrible then go with tein CS they are the best for the buck but a more affordable suspension would be Megan EZ, I would definitely upgrade your wheels to the 18's at least and if you want to look for Lexus wheels there are many available. Last but not least best possible wax you can find and interior protectant especially the leather to keep it from cracking. That should keep your car pretty close to stock at a budget of $2k!

Again, welcome to CL!
i will advise against DDM kits, though some have had a good experience with them. Their products come straight from china meaning your tracking # will show that its being shipped from china. The quality is poor ( or my experience with them was). I went through two replacements before i decided for xenondepot kit and ive never had any problems since ! dont cheap out on headlights !! their an essential part of your car !
Old 05-07-13, 12:51 PM
DaMitsuMan
Rookie

Originally Posted by reyoasian
megan ez and some budget wheels
Took the words right out of my mouth. I did the same thing and the results make the car look so much better.
Old 05-07-13, 01:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

BC Racing coils, tint, and sway bars
Old 05-07-13, 02:06 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tint, coils, sway (better order than Hoovey2411 )
Old 05-07-13, 05:40 PM
NeuroResid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
I'll say what most members on here probably will... Wheels and a drop will go a long way. And since yours isn't equipped with HIDs you can get some to throw in there. Try xenondepot.com, they have some awesome kits for the lights. If you really want the car to look "newer" then you can go as far as swapping the front bumper to the 2011+ style as well as add the lights with the fancy LEDs. Just cruise through the forum and see if anything catches your eye. Good luck, and happy modding.
Do you know where I can order new rear lights? Thanks!
Old 05-09-13, 01:13 AM
OvOxNO
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

lexus.sewellparts.com
Old 05-09-13, 05:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

F Sport Sway Bar set
Old 05-09-13, 05:12 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cams, springs and retainers for my Integra since you did not specify it has to be 2IS specific .
Old 05-09-13, 05:54 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would save up a little more and buy bags
Old 05-09-13, 09:46 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

I would save up and invest to make more money and buy 2012 led headlights, 2012 front F sport bumper, ISF rear spoiler, rims, and bagged it.
Old 05-09-13, 11:00 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Car looks good now but with a $2k budget you can do plenty.....

1. Ebay style OEM front lip $250 painted
2. GFX rear lip with exhaust tips $200
3. HID headlights & Fog lights $200 installed
4. LED interior, mirror puddle & reverse lights $100
5. Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap the interior trim $120
6. Ebay ISF tail lights $200
7. Ebay OEM thing roof spoiler $80
8. Used 18" 2010-2013 IS oem wheels w/tires $800-1000

Good luck and happy modding

Last edited by RastaRacer; 05-09-13 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: What would you upgrade with $2,000?