IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing TPMS back to upgraded rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 12:59 PM
iceheat710
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Are you referring to programming or physically swapping the TPMS?
So I already have my stock wheels (for winter tires now) with its TPMS registered to the car.

When I got a set of aftermarket summer wheels and tires, the shop installed a new set of TPMS and they said they registered this new set of TPMS as well.

I'm wondering if the shop overwrote my winter's TPMS, or if they added the summer's TPMS as a second set. Just wanted to know how I can check and also switch between the 2 sets of TPMS using those < O > switches beside the steering wheel.

If the summer TPMS are added as a second set, I don't need to go back to them for changing summers and winters and re-registering the TPMS every time...

Thanks pmanliu!
Old 05-16-13, 01:26 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iceheat710
So I already have my stock wheels (for winter tires now) with its TPMS registered to the car.

When I got a set of aftermarket summer wheels and tires, the shop installed a new set of TPMS and they said they registered this new set of TPMS as well.

I'm wondering if the shop overwrote my winter's TPMS, or if they added the summer's TPMS as a second set. Just wanted to know how I can check and also switch between the 2 sets of TPMS using those < O > switches beside the steering wheel.

If the summer TPMS are added as a second set, I don't need to go back to them for changing summers and winters and re-registering the TPMS every time...

Thanks pmanliu!
Best way to check if use the < O > switch and go to the TPMS option. If you are currently on MAIN switch to 2ND or vice versa. Drive around for a bit and see if the low pressure light comes on (sometimes it happens right away, sometime it takes a few miles).

You can also invest $30 into the toyota tech stream cable. With this you're able to check / program TPMS granted you have the serial #'s

hope this helps!
Old 05-16-13, 01:47 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

the wheels that you have are 06-08 OEM in 18", prob in gunmetal finish
Old 05-17-13, 02:35 AM
dk626
Driver School Candidate

i can confirm battery does not need to be disconnected from personal experiance
Old 05-17-13, 06:57 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rookieIS
the wheels that you have are 06-08 OEM in 18", prob in gunmetal finish
I see but are they stock or have to buy them separately? Like would you be able to simply have them swapped from stock or would they charge you extra for these? I mean stock are 17" to my understanding so my guess is these add value... just to know
Old 05-17-13, 06:58 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dk626
i can confirm battery does not need to be disconnected from personal experiance
Yep i figure that by now given everyone else also noted this... I guess the shop had to do that for some other cars and thinks they need that for every car... Thanks for confirming thou
Old 05-17-13, 09:41 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ultracool
I see but are they stock or have to buy them separately? Like would you be able to simply have them swapped from stock or would they charge you extra for these? I mean stock are 17" to my understanding so my guess is these add value... just to know
17" stocks comes with either AWD or manual 2IS i believe. All other comes with 18" stocks (like yours).

These are Fsport wheels for the 2IS
Old 05-17-13, 09:45 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rookieIS
17" stocks comes with either AWD or manual 2IS i believe. All other comes with 18" stocks (like yours).

These are Fsport wheels for the 2IS
Yep i noticed the spokes were like more thin and closer together. I guess some dealers are putting the 17" on some automatic tranny ones... Local PR dealers are major thieves mostly, well i don't know about Lexus but my experience with third party are like that thou lol Thanks clarifying the rim thing

Last edited by ultracool; 05-17-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 11:00 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

I can report a success story on installing the TPMS... I was worried that they were bad (they were sitting on stock wheels in a garage for 6-7 years lol) and the place I went to didn't have any calibration or testing tool... But they just poped the tire off, old valve out, tpms valve in, do it 3 more times... And biola! no more system check for tire pressure warning! Im thinking on getting that toyota stream cable just for future calibration or so...Now unto getting the other little details up to date

Car's pulling to a side when i brake so I have to check if a caliper is going bad orsomething.... Will bad caliper be covered by bumper to bumper warranty? I got some platinum extended warranty from lexus and I am going to try to get all the details i can find through that so that I only pay once the $100 deductible.
Old 05-21-13, 11:51 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

I have an extra set of tpms that was registered as the 2nd tpms. I still got the stock rims with tpms which i never bother to touch after I took them off. The extra set tpms were on my older rims and i took them off about a year ago and sold the rims. recently I put them on my new set of rims and the check lights is on. went to america tires and they can detect all the sensors which means they are all working. Anyone know what is going on? am I suppose to reprogram the tpms again??
Old 05-21-13, 11:59 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by starknight
I have an extra set of tpms that was registered as the 2nd tpms. I still got the stock rims with tpms which i never bother to touch after I took them off. The extra set tpms were on my older rims and i took them off about a year ago and sold the rims. recently I put them on my new set of rims and the check lights is on. went to america tires and they can detect all the sensors which means they are all working. Anyone know what is going on? am I suppose to reprogram the tpms again??
What message are you getting in the display? Check system or Low pressure? When i didn't have the tpms's close to the car, it would say Check System. But when i had them in the car on my way to the tire shop it would say Low Pressure. You could try resetting your ECU (I do so by disconnecting the battery for a little bit, not for the tire but for some other check engine light because of running the car without an Air Intake filter for 10 secs to move the car inside the garage lol...). If you do, remember to let the car run for a little idle and roll each window down/up so that the main panel can control them again.