IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing TPMS back to upgraded rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 10:49 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing TPMS back to upgraded rims

So i bought my car like a week ago and the seller was kind enough to remove the TPMSes from the stock rims and give them to me. The tire shop he went to said that to install the TPMSes back, all I had to do was to:

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Remove tires and install all 4 tpms
3. Put tires back on car
4. Connect battery

So... Could you guys give me some insight on this. Did a search but I was getting a lot of other threads for replacing tmps but I am just simply putting them back... No re-programming require I would guess.

Do the spare tires also have a TPMS in them? Whats the pressure required so it doesn't send a warning to the system? I haven't checked the spare...

Its a 2007 is250 with F-sport 18" rims. Here you can find a thread where I posted a picture of it if you need to see the rims:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...36k-miles.html

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-13, 10:53 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as the TPMS are still programmed to the car, you will be fine when you swap them from the old to new wheels.

The IS can also store up to 2 sets of TPMS at once. So if you're getting an error try toggling the car to read the other TPMS set with the "< O >" button that is to the left of the steering wheel.

Word of advice. When the TPMS is removed from the car you should take a picture of the serial number on each one just in case. It will make reprogramming them in the future easier.
Old 05-16-13, 10:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ultracool
So i bought my car like a week ago and the seller was kind enough to remove the TPMSes from the stock rims and give them to me. The tire shop he went to said that to install the TPMSes back, all I had to do was to:

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Remove tires and install all 4 tpms
3. Put tires back on car
4. Connect battery

So... Could you guys give me some insight on this. Did a search but I was getting a lot of other threads for replacing tmps but I am just simply putting them back... No re-programming require I would guess.

Do the spare tires also have a TPMS in them? Whats the pressure required so it doesn't send a warning to the system? I haven't checked the spare...

Its a 2007 is250 with F-sport 18" rims. Here you can find a thread where I posted a picture of it if you need to see the rims:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...36k-miles.html

Thanks in advance!
you don't have to disconnect/reconnect the battery. the car should read the TPMS sensors automatically when it's close enough nearby.

from the factory, the spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor it in.
Old 05-16-13, 11:00 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've heard the same thing about the TPMS sensors. But the rims you have are not the F-Sport rims, they are just stock 18" wheels that look like they were powder coated to the same color as the F-Sport rims, because I have the same ones except mine are chrome.
Old 05-16-13, 11:02 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pmanliu
As long as the TPMS are still programmed to the car, you will be fine when you swap them from the old to new wheels.

The IS can also store up to 2 sets of TPMS at once. So if you're getting an error try toggling the car to read the other TPMS set with the "< O >" button that is to the left of the steering wheel.

Word of advice. When the TPMS is removed from the car you should take a picture of the serial number on each one just in case. It will make reprogramming them in the future easier.
while true when TPMS programming was limited to dealerships and large tire store chains, now most TPMS programming machines can read a TPMS sensor without having to dismount the tire.
Old 05-16-13, 11:04 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

the rims you have are regular OEM, not Fsport.

you dont have to disconnect battery, just install it back into your wheels, no programming needed
Old 05-16-13, 11:07 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the prompt reply and tips on the procedure. Now i know its a simple swap. I will check if the tpms does have a second set of programmed sensors but my guess is not because he didn't even install the old ones...

So those rims are not the F-sport? I had someone from another forum say they got a 2013 is250 and had the f-Sport package with these rims... So these are just another set of rims but same value as stock? Because these are surely not stock, the stocks are the more chrome and standard looking rims at least for this year.
Old 05-16-13, 11:08 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
while true when TPMS programming was limited to dealerships and large tire store chains, now most TPMS programming machines can read a TPMS sensor without having to dismount the tire.
Yep, agreed that most shops can scan TPMS sensors without having to remove the tires.

Sorry i should have been more specific in my response. I was mainly suggesting to take down the serial #'s in case you decide to DIY program the sensors yourself (via toyota techstream or other method)
Old 05-16-13, 11:22 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Sounds great then I should be able to get the tire shop to check my sensors with their equipment before installing them and just simply put them on after they are confirmed to be good? Though this was going to be rocket science...

Hmmm well the seller said he upgrade to these rims... so maybe he bought these as replicas and keep the oem ones... But I usually see the is250 2006+ with these as stock rims:
http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY74188U.jpg

So mine are just another choice for stock? thanks for the intel guys!
Old 05-16-13, 11:36 AM
iceheat710
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmanliu

Hey pmanliu, do you have information (or instructions) on how to change to a different set of TPMS? couldn't find anything in the manual or in this forum so far...

Thanks!
Old 05-16-13, 11:38 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

in your other thread, the wheels you have look like OEM 18's, but in a non-OEM finish.
Old 05-16-13, 11:41 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lysis250
I've heard the same thing about the TPMS sensors. But the rims you have are not the F-Sport rims, they are just stock 18" wheels that look like they were powder coated to the same color as the F-Sport rims, because I have the same ones except mine are chrome.
Originally Posted by projectdna
in your other thread, the wheels you have look like OEM 18's, but in a non-OEM finish.
Hmmm i see. I'll try getting a direct side picture so that I compared them to stock. But they don't have the same amount of spokes as those OEM ones i showed you.

Update: Added a side pic of the rim.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ultracool; 05-16-13 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-16-13, 11:46 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The link you provided is to the AWD 17" rims. Your rims are not replicas either. They are plain stock and the previous owner just painted them that's it.
Old 05-16-13, 11:47 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iceheat710
Hey pmanliu, do you have information (or instructions) on how to change to a different set of TPMS? couldn't find anything in the manual or in this forum so far...

Thanks!
Are you referring to programming or physically swapping the TPMS?
Old 05-16-13, 11:51 AM
ultracool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lysis250
The link you provided is to the AWD 17" rims. Your rims are not replicas either. They are plain stock and the previous owner just painted them that's it.
I doutb he painted them because he showed me the stock ones from which he took the sensors off to give them to me.... He told me he bought them like this and he was told these are is350 ones... He did this back in 2007 i think. But you guys tell me based on the picture i posted I will still get some serials off them once they get taken off for the sensor installing.

Quick Reply: Installing TPMS back to upgraded rims