IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer's reaction to stripped oil pan - what do you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 06:35 AM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer's reaction to stripped oil pan - what do you guys think??

I have a 2010 IS350C with about 35k miles. Get my oil changed every 5k or so from the same dealer - so about 7 oil changes so far. This dealer has a bad habit of when you go to pay they only give you the signature page of the record to sign and/or putting all pages backwards to discourage you from reading them. I always read everything before I sign.

This last time they included a service checklist that they never had before. The checklist said the oil pan was stripped and required "immediate" attention. Of course the only thing the service advisor told me was that I needed a new cabin air filter - b.s. anyway since I had previously changed it myself.

When questioned about it the service advisor told me that technically speaking there is absolutely no repair possible for a stripped pan. I kind of looked at her like she was crazy, then she said ok we can re-tap the plug hole at my next oil change. I looked at her again like she was crazy and reminded her they are the only dealer I ever got my oil changed at. She then said nothing that can be done but 30 minutes after I left called to tell me they would replace the oil pan and will call me in a few days when they have it in stock. I called the parts department, however, and they already had it in stock.

After almost a month I call her back up to ask about the pan and she gives me some b.s. story about the parts department screwing up and not calling me when the part came in. I have an appointment to supposedly have the pan replaced at no charge.

What do you guys think of all this?? I have been very diplomatic to the dealer to date - haven't pointed out they had the part in stock all along, or that the service advisor didn't tell me about the pan and I only knew because they inadvertently included a checklist, or that the service advisor left my $53k car like this even though during small talk she knew I was planning on taking a 3k mile road trip.

What would you guys do??
Old 05-16-13, 06:47 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have called her out after the parts department told you that they already had the part in stock. Then I would find another place to get your car serviced.
Old 05-16-13, 06:52 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I would give Lexus cooperation a call and tell them what experience you have with this dealer
Old 05-16-13, 06:57 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 report them to corporate, and i would try to have the work order transferred to another dealer if possible. Who knows what they'll screw up next...
Old 05-16-13, 07:02 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I would talk to the dealer's overall manager first. If you are not happy then call corp. You don't know what other complaints are logged against this lady. The manager will welcome the feedback. If you can keep things local it will be easier. If not you have plan B.
Old 05-16-13, 07:06 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Which dealer do you go to?
Old 05-16-13, 07:09 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be PISSED!! Trying to sell you little filter crap but your pan is screwed up (pun intended) because of them!!! As soon as I found out the part was in stock I would have made an appointment to have it changed!!!
Old 05-16-13, 10:53 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol funny cuz your service advisor is a "she"
Not sexist, but mine was a "she" as well when I used to service my IS at the dealership
She told me my snow tires (was only on SECOND winter) was almost worn out because tread was "down to less than half", then I look at the report and it says 11/32" ......................... *facepalm*
Old 05-16-13, 10:58 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Which dealer do you go to?
If it's Lexus of North Miami I can tell you from first hand experience that they are complete crap so just call Corp as the management there does not give a rats @$$ about thier costumers.
Old 05-16-13, 11:06 AM
dong888
Pole Position

I had a similar situation that I found the oil pan was missing after taking to the dealership for oil change. After I called the SA, the dealership ordered the part and put it back on without questions. You should raise the issue to higher level as the treatment you had is absolutely no the Lexus standard.
Old 05-16-13, 01:05 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd find a new place to take my car to. Go get that oil pan and walk out telling them you'll take your business to a real service center.
Old 05-16-13, 02:23 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your first mistake was leaving the dealership in the first place after you noticed that. I would have left the car at the dealership and demanded the courtesy car until my car was fixed. 35k means your still under warranty. Driving your car off the dealer property with knowledge of an oil leak or something that deals with holding oil can potentially be problematic if it leaks, and you drive your car with low oil for an extended period of time can lead to engine failure. If anything happens, when you take it back, your warranty is void for that job because it becomes user error which if you read your warranty statement doesn't cover "mistreatment of vehicle"

Plus Im assuming you meant Oil Pan bolt was stripped cuz idk how the whole oil oil pan can be stripped. If the oil pan bolt was stripped, that is literally a 10 minute job. you can tap the screw or maybe fill and retap the pan with a new oil pan bolt. 90% of mechanic shops are capable of doin this. Had it happen to my honda once, I was in and out in a half hour with fresh oil change too
Old 05-17-13, 12:03 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would talk to the Service manager, service director or even the GM. If they're all douches about it too, then Id go to Corporate. What I also don't understand is how those idiots working in the service dept manage to strip your oil pan... doing an oil change isn't rocket science. I would've called out your service advisor too just like how everyone else said they would. Part is in stock and she lied to you, I personally HATE being lied to. You trust your car at the dealership and they broke that trust by lying to you.
Old 05-17-13, 09:52 AM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback guys - it's much appreciated. Bob4256 - the dealer is Lexus of North Miami. B16da9 - you guessed it - that's the dealer. What has your experience there been? NYKnick101 - thanks for your feedback. I'm not so concerned about the "mistreatment of vehicle" issue you raise. I'm a lawyer and if any car manufacturer would be foolish enough to raise that under the circumstances the judge would laugh even harder than I would. I think you would be hard pressed to find a court which would require a consumer to second guess the judgment of a dealer franchisee lest risk losing warranty coverage.
Old 05-17-13, 11:05 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanko
Thanks for all the feedback guys - it's much appreciated. Bob4256 - the dealer is Lexus of North Miami. B16da9 - you guessed it - that's the dealer. What has your experience there been? NYKnick101 - thanks for your feedback. I'm not so concerned about the "mistreatment of vehicle" issue you raise. I'm a lawyer and if any car manufacturer would be foolish enough to raise that under the circumstances the judge would laugh even harder than I would. I think you would be hard pressed to find a court which would require a consumer to second guess the judgment of a dealer franchisee lest risk losing warranty coverage.
My experience with them goes back to when I had my IS250 and recently with my IS350 when I brought it in for the bubbling headlight issue.

On my IS350 I brought the car in for two recalls (wipper arm and trunk release handle) as along with my headlights bubbling. The took care of the recall and told me the lights were not in stock and had to be ordered and come back in two weeks.

Fast forward two weeks I bring the car in early Saturday morning and they did not finish it until monday afternoon. Once I get there I noticed they installed another set of flat black (old LED lights) on my car instead of the updated lights per the TSB. I speak to the service advisor explain to him those are not correct and even show him the TSB. They tell me he will investigate it and he will call me back and finally does on Wed. of that week and says that I was right and to bring the car back in another two weeks and they will take care of it.

Fast foward another two weeks once again and just like last time I bring my in at 8:45am on saturday morning to have the work done (first bad sign was that the service advisor had no idea why i was there) so they take and he says they will call me when the car is ready. I was a couple of hours and decide to call at 1pm and he tells me the car is being worked on and is not ready yet. I once again wait around a couple of hours and 4pm come around and no call from them. I decide to call and the service advisor now says that they did install the correct lights and there is nothing I can do.

Now ny this time I am pissed and I tell him no problem have my car ready im on my way to pick it up my car and to please let me speak to their manager. He says no problem he'll call you, as im drivng the service advisor calls me and tell me hes not available I say no problem I speak to lexus corp. on Monday morning to please have my car ready. Now all of a sudden that lights a fire on his @$$ and asks to keep my car once again so they can take care of it I tell them no I'm tired of the lies when I get there guess what my next surprise. MY CAR WAS IN THE SAME SPOT I LEFT IT AT THEY DID NOT EVEN MOVE IT. This means the car was never worked on and were just toying with me.

Needless to say I called Lexus corp that next Monday and I tell them the situation and they say they will have it fixed however I tell them I do not want that dealer touching my car. They arrange to have lexus of Kendall fix their mistake with lexus of north miami finally providing the correct parts. Which to me means that they tried to unload some old headlights that they had in their stock while having lexus corp pay for them.

ok this ends my rant now.

Quick Reply: Dealer's reaction to stripped oil pan - what do you guys think??