IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

low profile tires and driving style

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 07:11 PM
ArtG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low profile tires and driving style

I'm curious, how do you guys/girls with low profile tires and/or stretched tires driving style on crappy road? How fast or slow? Especially on crappy freeway as it is hard to avoid potholes while driving above 65mph.please post your experiences.
Old 05-08-13, 07:14 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No potholes in my freeways. But if your not sure. Go slow. For around town I go slow and avoid them.
Old 05-08-13, 07:32 PM
ArtG
Driver

Originally Posted by 509IS350
No potholes in my freeways. But if your not sure. Go slow. For around town I go slow and avoid them.
Your so lucky, LA road sucks!!! People drive fast and most of the times tailgate you its hard to brake while trying to avoid potholes.
Old 05-08-13, 08:57 PM
guesswh0
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive the speed limit or just a tad lower since there are so many pot holes here in KC and some people tend to tail gate you. Especially when you're about to turn or whatever and they are on your ***.
Old 05-08-13, 09:01 PM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm riding on a 35 series tire right now and let me tell you it isn't fun. On the streets I usually drive 5 mph under the speed limit and in the right lane. On the freeway, i usually drive in the number 2 lane (right of the fast lane) and only go 70. If I'm going to an area I'm not familiar with then I'll usually take my g/f's car. Also, I'm lowered with a front lip so getting in and out of driveways isn't fun either,

But, I've still managed to bend 2 wheels in the last year. Have to pay to play.
Old 05-08-13, 09:37 PM
ArtG
Driver

Originally Posted by guesswh0
I drive the speed limit or just a tad lower since there are so many pot holes here in KC and some people tend to tail gate you. Especially when you're about to turn or whatever and they are on your ***.
Same here, I usually start my blinker from
quite a distance while slowing down but people still very close to my back.hate those people
Old 05-08-13, 09:43 PM
ArtG
Driver

Originally Posted by gveng
I'm riding on a 35 series tire right now and let me tell you it isn't fun. On the streets I usually drive 5 mph under the speed limit and in the right lane. On the freeway, i usually drive in the number 2 lane (right of the fast lane) and only go 70. If I'm going to an area I'm not familiar with then I'll usually take my g/f's car. Also, I'm lowered with a front lip so getting in and out of driveways isn't fun either,

But, I've still managed to bend 2 wheels in the last year. Have to pay to play.
In the same boat as you my friend, got a 35 series tire and I just bent one of my 2 months wheel and bubbled my tire..i realised we got to pay to play but still cursing myself!!! That's why I made this thread to see if anyone else experiencing the same..guess im not alone
Old 05-09-13, 12:42 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

The place I live... F***ing bad roads all over especially the construction zone... I'm avoiding holes and bumper EVERYDAY, imagine I brake and go, brake and go ppl are horning me and passing me like daily grandpa driver ..
Old 05-09-13, 11:33 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

now you have me scared... i'm on 30 series tires. haven't had any issues yet. but boy do i drive careful and on the lookout for potholes or anything that could damage a wheel. i also tend to drive slower on the freeway now and in the right lane. cruise control 1-2mph below the speed limit keeps a constant flow of people steadily passing you at a normal pace.
Old 05-09-13, 11:36 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Isn't it sad that you end up looking around more for potholes and bumps than hot chicks? LOL!
Old 05-09-13, 11:59 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I try to find a car thats also driving at an average/slow speed and follow maybe 3-4 car lengths behind. That way theres a nice pothole warning when you see their car bounce up and down instead in to you constantly scanning the road, which is especially hard at night.

Oh, and HID fogs aimed down also help a lot with the pothole radar
Old 05-09-13, 07:07 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I'm glad I bought the five year tire and wheel warranty on my Wife's 2012 IS-has the crappy Dunlops 45 series. That combined with the bad roads in South Jersey and Philly makes it a tough going.
Old 05-09-13, 07:38 PM
ArtG
Driver

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I'm glad I bought the five year tire and wheel warranty on my Wife's 2012 IS-has the crappy Dunlops 45 series. That combined with the bad roads in South Jersey and Philly makes it a tough going.
What is that? Can you explain more please
Old 05-09-13, 08:18 PM
jnguyenyo
Rookie

Stretched tires shouldn't be a HUGE problem if youre not running stupid amounts of camber. Personally, I would only go with an extreme stretch if the roads are fairly nice, if not go with a more moderate stretch
Old 05-13-13, 07:08 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

ArtG, I bought the tire and wheel warranty when I bought the Lexus new this past February. The warranty is good for five years for tires and wheels repair or replacement. The warranty company is InTire. It cost around 600 bucks. My co worker said his new BMW also has the same warranty(which he had to use,they replaced a badly damaged tire with a new tire ,same brand).

Quick Reply: low profile tires and driving style