IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED decoders and heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 07:45 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default LED decoders and heat

A while back I bought four LED turn signal bulbs from a member here on CL. He mentioned that I would need to buy resistors/decoders to make sure they don't hyper-blink or trigger any warning lights on the instrument cluster, so I bought a set of four from V-LEDs.

Yesterday I installed the rear turn signal bulbs. They work great, but the decoder has a warning that says that it gets pretty hot, so I should make sure its not touching anything flammable. Currently its sitting right against the trunk liner. Is it okay for it to sit like that if its connected to a turn signal bulb? I assume they only get hot when the light is on for a long period of time, like a DRL bulb? Can anyone with experience chime in?

This is similar to what I bought (different bulb socket). One end goes into the OEM bulb socket and the other end is where the LED bulb goes in.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-13, 08:47 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never used a decoder pictured like that, rather most ppl use a small resistor that you wire into the harness. The resistor does get hot but i've never had problems of it melting anything.

My suggestion - ditch the decoder and get the VLEDS flash relay. Simple plug and play and no more LED hyperflash or need to use resistors/decoders. Other companies make a flash relay also, but you will lose the lock/unlock flash confirmation.

VLED Flasher Relay: http://www.vleds.com/toyota-electron...ignal-fix.html
Old 05-02-13, 09:46 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Never used a decoder pictured like that, rather most ppl use a small resistor that you wire into the harness. The resistor does get hot but i've never had problems of it melting anything.

My suggestion - ditch the decoder and get the VLEDS flash relay. Simple plug and play and no more LED hyperflash or need to use resistors/decoders. Other companies make a flash relay also, but you will lose the lock/unlock flash confirmation.

VLED Flasher Relay: http://www.vleds.com/toyota-electron...ignal-fix.html
Yeah I saw that after I got the decoders in the mail. But I read that if you use that or any other aftermarket flasher, you get clicking sounds in the cabin when you use the turn signal. The only way to get a flasher that doesn't click is modifying the OEM one by grinding down the metal a bit. Something I may look into if I have to.
Old 05-02-13, 01:11 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The modules will get warm, like a HID ballast, so definitely keep it away from flammable materials.

Sidenote, I've got my driver side fog HID ballast resting against the plastic downtube leading to the windshield wiper fluid tank. It has not melted it...yet.