IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2x to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 08:08 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2x to start

I haven't been driving my car often, and about a month ago the battery died....not completely dead, but dead enough that it will not start.

I was able to jump start the car, and then I drove for a few hour trip so presumably there was enough charging from the alternator to get the battery back up to normal charge levels.

Periodically the car will not start on the first attempt since this happened (I'd say 1 out of 7 starts from cold). then if I immediately push the start button again, it starts up like a champ.

So ya, the first thing I should do is get a new battery to see if that resolves it...but I'm curious because if the battery were truly hosed, then I would think the 2nd start attempt wouldn't turn it over so quickly (or at all for that matter).

Has anyone else had a similar issue? FWIW, the battery is only a year old....so I wouldn't think one discharge would tank it..but who knows these days.
Old 05-01-13, 08:48 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has happened to me before not on my IS but on my wifes car. Keep in mind the IS has a lot of electronic devices that depend on the battery.
Anyway we were on vacation for 3 weeks completely dead battery when we came back and when I had it jumped and started having the same issues we found out one of the cells were defective.

Its possible that even if its a year old that one of those cells are bad. Although 1 week is not much but maybe the battery didn't cycle well? Have it tested at any local shop that would help narrow it down whether its the battery, the alternator or the electrical system /start stop button (its a stretch).
Old 05-01-13, 09:32 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

When I went to reset the ECU by pulling the negative cable from the terminal of the battery, it always took two presses to start it up. That scared me the first time, but a search of the forums found that is common when the car isn't hooked up to the battery or when you reset the ECU.

Some batteries can be manufactured incorrectly, which leads to a premature failure that can be the issue. Also, do the tests for the alternator and possibly the starter too like azfsprt suggested.
Old 05-01-13, 09:49 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Ya, I'm not too suprised if the battery is bad...but it just didn't seem like that would cause this issue where sometimes I need to start it twice.....it would seem if the battery can't crank the car over the first time, then the second time wouldn't be much better....but hey, what do I know, I'm just a simple mechanical engineer

Originally Posted by knguyenk
When I went to reset the ECU by pulling the negative cable from the terminal of the battery, it always took two presses to start it up. That scared me the first time, but a search of the forums found that is common when the car isn't hooked up to the battery or when you reset the ECU.

Some batteries can be manufactured incorrectly, which leads to a premature failure that can be the issue. Also, do the tests for the alternator and possibly the starter too like azfsprt suggested.
Old 05-01-13, 04:11 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the battery should be under warranty? I would get it replaced and get a battery mender/maintainer....
Old 05-01-13, 04:20 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my car has been doing this too. I've gone in a few times about it but they can't pinpoint the problem. They computer scanner gave a reading that the car has been going through unnaturally high and low voltages, but yet they tested the battery and it is completely fine. It concerns me but hey, if it's nothing major than I can deal with it...
Old 05-01-13, 05:43 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
my car has been doing this too. I've gone in a few times about it but they can't pinpoint the problem. They cOmputer scanner gave a reading that the car has been going through unnaturally high and low voltages, but yet they tested the battery and it is completely fine. It concerns me but hey, if it's nothing major than I can deal with it...
You would be a good candidate for a hyper voltage system from sun auto
Could it be loose wiring, bad ground or something else with the electrical? well ur a simple M.E do u have a volt meter to test with? Im sure u do...