IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ijdntoy led reflector

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 07:32 PM
buildabear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wired the led bumper reflector but not lighting up... i connected the wires as follows:

led reflector black wire to tail light black wire
led red wire to tail light green wire
led white wire to white / black wire

please help.. thanks.
Old 09-13-16, 06:44 AM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by buildabear
I wired the led bumper reflector but not lighting up... i connected the wires as follows:

led reflector black wire to tail light black wire
led red wire to tail light green wire
led white wire to white / black wire

please help.. thanks.

Best way to wire them up, is to tap into the set of 3 brake wires that go to the outside/corner brake lights. It's located over the turn signal. Pop it out by pushing down on the small tab on the top. Strip the wires on the reflector back, and test them as you go. Switch the wires as needed until you get it working like stock. I have an 08 Is350, so not sure if the wiring will be the same, but here's how I wired up mine.

**Wire it up using the picture to start and abjust as needed. I won't have a chance to verify the colors until this weekend, but you should be able to wire it up just from the picture. I used T-tap connectors so I wouldn't have to cut anything.
In order from Left to Right (Stock connector)

Stock Connector -> Reflector Wires
***Edit - Correction in wire colors.
White with Black Stripe -> Black
White with Green Stripe -> Red
Green with Silver Rings -> White

WirING it this way will come on at 50% when your lights are on. Then 100% when you apply the brakes.

Last edited by CarterIS; 09-17-16 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Attached wrong pic
Old 09-13-16, 10:05 AM
buildabear
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quickly reply. I'll rewire them today and let you know
Old 09-13-16, 10:13 PM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

No problem man.
Just let me know how it works out, and if you have any other questions.
Old 09-14-16, 03:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,564 Posts

They look pretty good.
Old 09-15-16, 10:21 AM
buildabear
Driver School Candidate

CarterIS, I rewired but still no luck.... It didn't lit up. See my wire taps below: I tapped them to the 3 set of wires (beside the signal light) as follows:

White and Black Stripe -> Black
Green and White Stripe -> Red
Green and Black Stripe -> White

Both of the lamps don't work... what am I doing wrong ? Unless both lights are damaged.....

Old 09-15-16, 08:01 PM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

I will be working on my car tomorrow after work. I will snap a picture and post it up. Did you make sure your taps are tapped properly? Especially the red one? (Whenever I'm usin tap connectors, I always take them off, just to make sure I can see the copper wire strands, meaning I will get a good connection)

The other thing you should try is to insert the end of the reflector wires, directly into the connector. Just don't peel too much back so the wires won't have a chance of arcing.

Next thing you want to do, which my be obvious is to make sure the lights are in the on position and not auto. I will take some better pictures and have them posted either tomorrow night or noon on Saturday. If you want to wait until then, if not just go ahead and try the wires directly in the connector itself.

Last edited by CarterIS; 09-15-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 07:46 AM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

Hey Buildabear, I finally got around to taking my connectors apart so I can get you some good pictures.

1st off, I'm not sure if you removed the connector and indicator bulb to do your taps. But It makes things a lot easier to troubleshoot, as you go. All I did was use a flat head screwdriver to push down on the top of it, while using that same flat head to pull it outwards.

Once you have it apart you can then just insert the wires directly into the connector as my previous post (I exposed a bit too much wire this morning when I stripped them back).
Lights ON

Brakes Applied

-------------------------
***Edit - Correction in wire colors.
White with Black Stripe -> Black
White with Green Stripe -> Red
Green with Silver Rings -> White
-------------------------
It helps if you get someone to turn the lights on and apply the brakes, While you ensure it works as its supposed to. That way you know it works before making you put it back in and make your final connections.

**Cars a bit dirty, I got caught in the rain this morning. And this is my brothers account. I will create one and post some useful do it yourselves eventually.

Really hope this helps, not much else I can think of besides...... Checking to make sure your taps are actually making contact, and checking to make sure your getting power to the bulbs before you disconnect or the connector and start the install process.

Last edited by CarterIS; 09-17-16 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added more details
Old 09-18-16, 06:51 AM
sashax415
Pole Position

Wow.. that looks great. They should be hooked up as extra brake lights but I would probably do the driving lights also to show them off.
Old 09-19-16, 02:58 PM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sashax415
Wow.. that looks great. They should be hooked up as extra brake lights but I would probably do the driving lights also to show them off.
They're hooked up as both driving and parking lights. They're operating at 50% for driving lights and jump to 100% when the brake is applied.
Old 09-19-16, 04:16 PM
buildabear
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CarterIS, these photos help a lot... I'll rewire them today when I get home if time permits... traffic's crazy here in LA.... Yeah, I'm kinda suspicious about my taps too not making contact .... I'll check on that one first and let you know...