IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about partial tyre replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 10:14 PM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about partial tyre replacement

Hey guys so i think its time i replace some tyres since i had a flat tyre the other week, and they refused to repair it because it was too worn so it wouldn't be road worthy so I was forced to buy a $100 tyre so i could get back on the road asap.

My current tyres I have are 3 kumho sport tyres that are unidirectional (as told by a mate) - two on front, and 1 on driver side rear. The other one i have replacing the flat is at the back left and its just a standard tyre.

I can't afford to buy a full set of good tyres at the moment. But I was wondering whether I could move the new standard tyre from the back to the front (since it's tread is still decent compared to the others). And then replace two of the worn kumho tyres, putting the 2 new ones at the rear (since my car is RWD).

Sorry if thats confusing. So i'll have 2 new tyres at the back that match, and two non-matching tyres on the front where the front left is a new standard tyre still with new tread, and the front right is still a worn tyre. I'll replace the front two if I find that extra roll of $100's that were misplaced lol.

Question:

1. Is there a problem with me swapping front tyres with rear tyres if the tyres say they are unidirectional? (they would still be rolling the the same direction if i keep them on same side)

2. If yes to the above, can i just replace 2 rears and leave non-matching tyres at the front?

cheers =D
Old 04-18-13, 10:27 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are unidirectional then keep the left on the left and right on the right and swap the fronts and rears. As long as both front and rear set of tires are the same size.

I would never agree to a non matching set of tires because your unidirectional tires will and more likely grip more than the asymmetrical tire making you pull on one side more. I would auggest u replace the other tire. Its better to have matching sets of tires. Therefore, if you have 2 matching the front and 2 matching the rear but both sets are different brands then thats a lot safer than the set up u have right now.

To answer ur question if u are keeping the non matching set then leave that in the rear because all ur steering will depend one the non matching set... Not safe