IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Red, White, and Custom

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 09:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
Both cars look great. I especially like how ur dating and u both are into cars and both have ISs. Im jelly!

P.S btw what hood is that?
It's a Seibon hood
Old 04-16-13, 10:10 PM
aznoutkast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

applause on the new front!!! looks amazing! i need to head back to houston already to see more 2is!
Old 04-16-13, 11:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks great! Both executed well.
Old 04-17-13, 07:04 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

both cars looking awesome...
Old 04-17-13, 07:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Awesome cars... 2 truly unique rides on this forum! Great work guys.

Katie - those reflections are ridiculous! Car is like a mirror (which is not easy to pull off on red!)... what LSP you using at the moment?
Old 04-17-13, 07:39 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job on your IS'. Both unique and very good looking.
Old 04-17-13, 08:37 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nice pics, any info on the camera and the settings used to take some of the night time pictures above would be amazing!!
Old 04-17-13, 08:47 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Both cars look awesome!! I really like how SFP and GFM looks. Clean and look expensive, which it really is.
Old 04-17-13, 08:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Deegee
nice pics, any info on the camera and the settings used to take some of the night time pictures above would be amazing!!
It appears they were all shot with natural light (no strobes or speedlights), so I am assuming a tripod had to be used because the images are very sharp and do not appear grainy which would indicate a lower ISO setting was used, forcing a slower shutter speed which is why I assume a tripod was used.

The image where Karasha's car is blurred out in the background is most likely taken at a wider aperture setting than the rest in order to throw the background more out of focus, but since it is a "close focus" situation where the lens appears to be pretty close to HeyArms' hood - that would also create a shallower depth of field (DOF).

When I shoot cars, I typically shoot at an aperture of around f/5.6 so that the entire car is in focus, however the focal length of the lens, and distance between the subject and the camera also play a part in determining the depth of field.

Any DSLR would be able to capture the images seen above, most likely with upgraded faster glass (ie - not the kit lens).
Old 04-17-13, 09:09 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for all the compliments guys, and the bits of criticism. I know my hood will be very hit and miss, but thats how it's intended to be. I finally made a build thread also: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...old-moves.html

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It appears they were all shot with natural light (no strobes or speedlights), so I am assuming a tripod had to be used because the images are very sharp and do not appear grainy which would indicate a lower ISO setting was used, forcing a slower shutter speed which is why I assume a tripod was used.

The image where Karasha's car is blurred out in the background is most likely taken at a wider aperture setting than the rest in order to throw the background more out of focus, but since it is a "close focus" situation where the lens appears to be pretty close to HeyArms' hood - that would also create a shallower depth of field (DOF).

When I shoot cars, I typically shoot at an aperture of around f/5.6 so that the entire car is in focus, however the focal length of the lens, and distance between the subject and the camera also play a part in determining the depth of field.

Any DSLR would be able to capture the images seen above, most likely with upgraded faster glass (ie - not the kit lens).
You sir, have the experience we lack with a camera haha. All shots were taken with a Nikon D3100 with the stock lense, no filter attached but a tripod was used for most shots. They were all mostly taken on the "Auto" or "Dayime" setting as well. No fancy camera tricks done by us, we let the camera do the work!
Old 04-17-13, 09:15 AM
Lexus@17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas got some heattttttttttt!
Old 04-17-13, 09:34 AM
scionized
Driver School Candidate

unbeliavable! Very well put together!!! love both
Old 04-17-13, 10:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by heyarms
You sir, have the experience we lack with a camera haha. All shots were taken with a Nikon D3100 with the stock lense, no filter attached but a tripod was used for most shots. They were all mostly taken on the "Auto" or "Dayime" setting as well. No fancy camera tricks done by us, we let the camera do the work!
I'll have to give you guys a quick "Photography 101" lesson sometime... I've been meaning to put together a "Basics of Photography" thread for a long time but just can't find the time to do it.

It's not terribly complicated - just takes some practice and patience (like learning anything!)
Old 04-17-13, 10:12 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent observation!! Sounds like you know a thing or two about cameras, I recently invested in a Canon 650D and haven't been able to get any night time pics like these. Most of my night pics are coming out like point and shoot camera photography which is why I asked.

I'll have to give you guys a quick "Photography 101" lesson sometime... I've been meaning to put together a "Basics of Photography" thread for a long time but just can't find the time to do it.

It's not terribly complicated - just takes some practice and patience (like learning anything!)

This would be excellent !
Old 04-17-13, 10:25 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Deegee
Excellent observation!! Sounds like you know a thing or two about cameras, I recently invested in a Canon 650D and haven't been able to get any night time pics like these. Most of my night pics are coming out like point and shoot camera photography which is why I asked.

This would be excellent !
Feel free to hit me up with PM's if you have any specific questions.. I don't want to thread jack with random photography babble that most people won't care about, but I'd be happy to go over the basics with you so you can start shooting in manual mode and get out of auto!

Quick Reply: Red, White, and Custom