IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 is250 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 09:29 PM
06pearlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 is250 retrofit

I been doing a lot of research on retro fitting a projector on my 06 lexus is250. does any one know which is the best projector to buy and also that it will fit on the stock headlight bezel?
Old 04-12-13, 09:45 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

i think tsx?
Old 04-12-13, 09:53 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, you can fit a majority of the projectors in the IS since it's a 3" diameter lenses. With the exception of LS projectors which don't fit and are the best IMO. "Best" projector depends on your preference. Currently, I have a pair of FX-R projectors in my headlights and Morimoto Mini H1 projectors in my fogs. The FX-R's light up every single lane on the highway. If I'm in the right lane, I can still see my headlight beam on the left lane barrier. Great projector but one of my headlights have condensation. When I open it up, I'm putting RX330 projectors in since I hear they're better when modded. Here's a good link of the comparisons if you haven't seen them.

http://www.jvxdriver.com/single_comparison.htm
Old 04-12-13, 09:55 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

read this thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fit-it-is.html
Old 04-12-13, 10:50 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Those are wise words said up there..

I'm in the middle of my retrofit now. Actually, nearing the end. That's my thread referenced above. From my experience with this, the TL has hands down the nicest output both in light/coverage/cutoff/etc. TL projectors are just an overall high performer. That being said, they will not fit without major surgery of your headlight bracket. Unless you are an awesome fabricator, it will probably be extremely challenging. As I too, have bowed down to it's difficulty.

I'm using a pair of 2005 TSX projectors that has clear lenses on them. See the thread for the first picture I took tonight when I fired them up. They are on oem ballast and oem d4s bulbs. The output was a lot better than expected. Compared to stock HIDs, it truly is day and night. I gave up AFS, retained auto-level, but gained so much more light output. Sounds good to me.

2.5'' projectors often perform nearly as good as 3'' projectors. Especially if they are modded. If I had to give one piece of advice, I say save yourself the trouble and go with a smaller 2.5'' projector. If you can afford the RX-AFS then go for it, but I wouldn't say it's cheap. S2000 projectors are supposed to be extremely good overall, also extremely rare and expensive. Seems like for the 2IS, the TSX is your best bet for fitment and performance.
Old 04-12-13, 10:59 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
Those are wise words said up there..

I'm in the middle of my retrofit now. Actually, nearing the end. That's my thread referenced above. From my experience with this, the TL has hands down the nicest output both in light/coverage/cutoff/etc. TL projectors are just an overall high performer. That being said, they will not fit without major surgery of your headlight bracket. Unless you are an awesome fabricator, it will probably be extremely challenging. As I too, have bowed down to it's difficulty.

I'm using a pair of 2005 TSX projectors that has clear lenses on them. See the thread for the first picture I took tonight when I fired them up. They are on oem ballast and oem d4s bulbs. The output was a lot better than expected. Compared to stock HIDs, it truly is day and night. I gave up AFS, retained auto-level, but gained so much more light output. Sounds good to me.

2.5'' projectors often perform nearly as good as 3'' projectors. Especially if they are modded. If I had to give one piece of advice, I say save yourself the trouble and go with a smaller 2.5'' projector. If you can afford the RX-AFS then go for it, but I wouldn't say it's cheap. S2000 projectors are supposed to be extremely good overall, also extremely rare and expensive. Seems like for the 2IS, the TSX is your best bet for fitment and performance.
The TL projector does require a lot of work to have it fit properly in the housing. Especially if you have the HID version of the headlights. I have the halogen version. There's so much room inside the housing and the bracket is huge. Since I work at an Acura dealer, I got my hands on a used TL headlight and took out the projector. It fitted in my headlight pretty well. However, I decided with FX-R's since I would have to find another TL projector when a pair of FX-R's were cheaper and I like the output better of the FX-R.

To the OP, if you have the halogen version headlights, you can fit TL projectors with no problem other than some brackets you'll have to make. Also, if you buy D2H bulbs from the Retrofit Source, you don't have to drill out the back of the housing. I was able to fit my ballasts inside my headlight and still change the bulbs. So no need to drill the headlight covers too if you plan to install aftermarket HIDs.
Old 04-12-13, 11:17 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chi123
The TL projector does require a lot of work to have it fit properly in the housing. Especially if you have the HID version of the headlights. I have the halogen version. There's so much room inside the housing and the bracket is huge. Since I work at an Acura dealer, I got my hands on a used TL headlight and took out the projector. It fitted in my headlight pretty well. However, I decided with FX-R's since I would have to find another TL projector when a pair of FX-R's were cheaper and I like the output better of the FX-R.

To the OP, if you have the halogen version headlights, you can fit TL projectors with no problem other than some brackets you'll have to make. Also, if you buy D2H bulbs from the Retrofit Source, you don't have to drill out the back of the housing. I was able to fit my ballasts inside my headlight and still change the bulbs. So no need to drill the headlight covers too if you plan to install aftermarket HIDs.
Does the halogen bracket really have that much space? Man, I struggled just to mount the TL projectors.. But they barely fit through the chrome cover.. I couldn't set them further back because it's too wide. But yeah, anything's possible. I just couldn't bear to cut any more of my bracket. And I wanted to keep auto leveling.

I hear the FX-Rs are a great choice.. No personal experience. Just internet feedbacks.
Old 04-13-13, 06:15 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did some one say retrofit gigity.
Old 04-13-13, 10:38 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I have SC430 projectors in mine, though I did not retain stock bezel.
Old 04-13-13, 03:11 PM
06pearlex
Rookie

im thinking of buying the EvoX-R http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...products_id=92. does the SC430 projectors fit perfect.. how about the coverage/cutoff?
Old 04-13-13, 03:39 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I retrofitted FX-R into my 09 headlights. Wasn't hard just time consuming.
Old 05-26-13, 05:24 PM
06pearlex
Rookie

i decided to go with the fx-r ... this just one of the headlights

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-13, 11:46 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

why driver side is red
Old 05-27-13, 03:52 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Good job man.!
Can we see what the output looks like?
I'm quite excited to see the results actually.
Old 05-27-13, 02:48 PM
06pearlex
Rookie

i only did the driver side headlight, probably next weekend i will do the passenger side. i painted the shield red but only the part that was face the lens.

i have a quick video you could see a big difference from the right and the left side

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 06pearlex; 05-27-13 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 is250 retrofit