RWD in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 11:24 AM
Lexicano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD in the snow?

Hello,

I am on the verge of purchasing a 2008 Lexus IS250 (Auto 2.5L, RWD).
I have been eyeing this car for about three years now, but my main concern is going with the RWD instead of the AWD.

I live in Toronto, and have been driving FWD cars my entire life.

I hear horror stories of how poorly performing the RWD cars are in the snow, despite having winter tires.

Does anyone have any experience with driving the Lexus IS250 FWD in the snow?
Mind sharing your experiences?
Old 04-02-13, 11:28 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I have is350 with snow tires and been 3 season with out an issue. Just remember most of the time after a snow storm roads will be plowed anyways. Only thing is never get caught on a step hill on a stop. With snow tires and a great driver you shouldn't have an issues. On another note if your getting RWD check the prices on 350 if it the same go 350. Plus get 07-up so you can turn traction control off during winter driving.
Old 04-02-13, 11:38 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

x2 on getting the 07+ for the ability to turn traction control off. I personally think RWD cars are fine in the winter with proper tires and a light foot.

mixa86 hated driving the IS250 in the snow, I think he's in NY too? Maybe he can chime in..
Old 04-02-13, 11:42 AM
minato
Pole Position

snow tyres + snow mode + driving accorging to the weather and you should be fine
yeah 07+ is a must
I have an AWD though
Old 04-02-13, 01:06 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

You can turn traction control off in a 06 RWD, it just requires the pedal dance. You should be able to search and see how to do it.
Old 04-02-13, 01:27 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes but it's much easier to just hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds than to do a pedal dance. You don't even have to be in park. The car just has to be stopped, so you could do it in traffic if you needed to.
Old 04-02-13, 01:40 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Yes but it's much easier to just hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds than to do a pedal dance. You don't even have to be in park. The car just has to be stopped, so you could do it in traffic if you needed to.
True, but most people never need to do this. I owned a 06 for 3 years or so before I bought my 2011, and while I did turn off the traction control at times, it was extremely rare (mostly when I wanted to have some fun)

I guess my point is, I would not base a buying decision on this.
Old 04-02-13, 01:43 PM
jujujexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexicano
Hello,

I am on the verge of purchasing a 2008 Lexus IS250 (Auto 2.5L, RWD).
I have been eyeing this car for about three years now, but my main concern is going with the RWD instead of the AWD.

I live in Toronto, and have been driving FWD cars my entire life.

I hear horror stories of how poorly performing the RWD cars are in the snow, despite having winter tires.

Does anyone have any experience with driving the Lexus IS250 FWD in the snow?
Mind sharing your experiences?
I have 2008 RWD and am located in Toronto, try to get AWD if it's an option. Snow tires are a must on RWD and I don't know about others but I tailspin on turns a lot with snow on the ground, people advise to weigh down the trunk with gravel or sand bags to avoid the tailspin issue.

All I know from experiance is to not try the winter with All Season tires on, There were some days this winter where I had to take the TTC! Snow tires are a definite must. Good luck with your purchase
Old 04-02-13, 01:44 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 RWD IS250. I'll find out how its like in the snow when I get to Virginia.
Old 04-02-13, 01:48 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

I might mention, I traded in my RWD because of how bad it was in the snow, even with snow tires. I was able to get around, without a ton of issues but that was in Washington State, we dont get near the snow NY gets.
Old 04-02-13, 02:02 PM
Griiix
Driver

I live in bc.. snow is very mild
But i know i wont be driving my baby in dur snow..
Thats where my gmc pickup comes in!
Old 04-02-13, 02:05 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vapid2323
True, but most people never need to do this. I owned a 06 for 3 years or so before I bought my 2011, and while I did turn off the traction control at times, it was extremely rare (mostly when I wanted to have some fun)

I guess my point is, I would not base a buying decision on this.
Button is easier then doing the dance everytime you start back up. I run TC off during winter season when ever snow on the ground. Even the 2ft blizzard we had in Mass. And it just handles better when power nut cutting in and out. Here we get tons of snow and my 350 great. I never added weight in the trunk either. If your a confident driver you'll do good. Heavy feet leads to fish tailing.
Old 04-02-13, 04:50 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Get good winter tires and you'll be fine.

If you are worried about traction, avoid "Performance" winter tires like the Michelin Pilot Alpin series and similar, they are nice for some situations like very cold dry pavement and light snow, but they lack what is needed in some cases when it comes to deeper snow.

Jeff
Old 04-02-13, 06:07 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also live in Toronto with an IS350 and just put a set of bridgestone blizzaks on them prior to this winter. Overall they performed way better then the 5 year old tires they replaced but still not as good as my Mom's FWD Accord Coupe with just all seasons.

You have to careful around corners and I had a one scare this winter where I had to stop at a steep hill for a red ight after a snow fall. Tires keep spinning and I wasn't going anywhere and then the tail did start to spin out a bit. After a minute or so gasing and then letting go I was able to get enough momentum to get up the hill. The guy behind me in the c-class must have been scared I would roll back into him...lol

Other then that one time they have been good. I even took a roadtrip to montreal the day after they had they're largest snowfall in 100 years and I had no issues getting around.
Old 04-02-13, 06:35 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '10 350 RWD is horrific with the stock tires, down right scary with just a little bit of snow. Proper tires make a world of difference.

Quick Reply: RWD in the snow?