IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Questions (aftermarket) and CAN-BUS questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 07:19 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Questions (aftermarket) and CAN-BUS questions

Alright people, I am wanting to do a project with my NON-Nav IS that currently has a Flyaudio unit.

I Have the Flyaudio installed, but the nav is out of date, upsetting to update, and there are some frustrating parts to this unit. It has done me well overall though. What I am wanting to do is buy a android cube style PC, or use an old laptop as my NAV, and mass storage entertainment. The problems are the CAN-BUS and how everything is implemented, as well as the touch screen interactions..

One option I am considering is somehow modifying the Flyaudio to allow usb touch control to external unit when the aux/nav selection is active, and somehow direct the nav selection to the external source. (all of this I would need external help/direction)

The other option (my pref, but harder) is to use the flyaudio case/screen, and gut internals to be used with external source only. Then, the issue would be the CAN-BUS and A/C controls. I like this option better, if we could somehow adapt what may be on the flyaudio unit to work with a different system, but this will/would be very difficult.

I understand many would just say work with what you have and be happy but I like to work on different things, and want it exactly how I want it. Also, this could help others that may be interested in this type of project, complete their own version.

Thanks for any input or help.
Old 03-30-13, 03:00 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Anyone? Surely there is someone with some insight.
Old 04-01-13, 01:20 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Bump? Someone assist please.
Old 10-10-13, 03:09 PM
Darkmoon
Driver School Candidate

I've been designing safety electronics for extreme environments for about 10 years now so I will opine... The Flyaudio is almost certainly not going to "direct the nav selection to [an] external source" so I don't think option 1 is practical/possible - you'd likely just want to replace the nav/computer with something else. If possible I would first try to disconnect the nav portion (only) from the car to test if the AC/climate control/canbus and car still works fine in the absence of the GPS unit. If so maybe you can gut the nav portion. Failing that, maybe use the non-nav or a similar 3rd party console that has climate control and also some empty space to add your own equipment. I wouldn't bother trying to spoof or bypass the canbus unless you found some solid technical data or a module or something.

Given some space to work with, I'd probably go one of the following routes:

1. Android tablet / iPad / old smartphone with offline nav software (eg Navigon) and built-in GPS (or maybe a GPS dongle). Might need to be removable if the inside of your car is ever outside the temperature range of 32 - 158 deg Fahrenheit -- check the operating temp of the tablet but consumer equipment with LCDs is often damaged if the screen freezes or gets too warm (as in hot car on a sunny day level of warm).

2. Pico-ITX/Nano-ITX/Mini-ITX / NUC all in one computer +
small LCD touchscreen compatible with inputs on computer +
Indicator LEDs to connect to computer and a power-interrupting
reset button (so you don't have to turn car off to reset
in case of computer crash)
USB GPS +
Nav software for laptops (eg DeLorme Street Atlas USA).

I probably wouldn't do option 2 because where I live it hits -40 and +90 (well, +90 inside the car if it is in the sun) and I wouldn't want to try and plug/unplug all that stuff everytime I wanted to drive the car. But your climate might be more amenable.

Personally I think it would be easier to update the maps in the Flyaudio... but that's just me
Old 09-24-14, 01:16 PM
mouse23
Driver School Candidate

Hi rpk2012, I wonder if you had any success with your project. There wasn't much help here but maybe you got better luck elsewhere that is worth sharing.
I am myself interested in unraveling the mysteries of the automotive can-bus's and how to adapt aftermarket devices.
From what I gather in the service manual of the 2002 300 es, there are three can bus's. One for the engine, which can be interrogated with an OBD II reader, Another one for the body and a third one for the navigation- radio- CD changer-Telephone computer- audio amplifier- rear-view vid camera.. The third can bus indicated on print as Tx+and Tx- and ground.
This is as far as I got. The next thing would be to tap into this can bus and visualize the communication between these devices on a computer with some software"tool".
Are these communication codes proprietary or standard like in OBD II. etc.
Old 02-23-15, 03:26 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mouse23
Hi rpk2012, I wonder if you had any success with your project. There wasn't much help here but maybe you got better luck elsewhere that is worth sharing.
I am myself interested in unraveling the mysteries of the automotive can-bus's and how to adapt aftermarket devices.
From what I gather in the service manual of the 2002 300 es, there are three can bus's. One for the engine, which can be interrogated with an OBD II reader, Another one for the body and a third one for the navigation- radio- CD changer-Telephone computer- audio amplifier- rear-view vid camera.. The third can bus indicated on print as Tx+and Tx- and ground.
This is as far as I got. The next thing would be to tap into this can bus and visualize the communication between these devices on a computer with some software"tool".
Are these communication codes proprietary or standard like in OBD II. etc.
I have not found much more on this than yourself. I assume we could pull the head unit and tap into the third bus, but I do not know how the third bus ties into I would assume the body harness for A/C control or if it is on the same bus.

I am curious how the aftermarket flyaudio company did it still. Thing is, I have WAAAAAY to much going on to learn another in depth, life consuming project detail lol. At least right now. If someone would just make a controller/interface I would be happy. Then find an app to control AC on android hah.
Old 02-23-15, 03:49 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I have heard, understanding how to write code to communicate on the canbus is no easy task. Anything is possible, but I imagine it would require an extensive knowledge and experience and not something the average individual can tackle.

I think your best bet would be to sell the flyaudio unit, and gut the stock non navi unit to keep the climate controls and modify that to use an android tablet. Still a lot of custom work required though.
Old 02-23-15, 03:58 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by getafewliv
As far as I have heard, understanding how to write code to communicate on the canbus is no easy task. Anything is possible, but I imagine it would require an extensive knowledge and experience and not something the average individual can tackle.

I think your best bet would be to sell the flyaudio unit, and gut the stock non navi unit to keep the climate controls and modify that to use an android tablet. Still a lot of custom work required though.
Not a bad idea, just wont look as close to factory as I want. Glad I kept the factory unit though hah.