IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Jiggly waterpump pulley help

Old 03-28-13, 01:25 AM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiggly waterpump pulley help

Hey guys, my is250 2006 with 115,000k's on it is still going strong after changing out my spark plugs.

Soon after i've noticed this chirping sound like a cricket coming from the engine bay quite noticeable. Its mainly on when my car is in gear (drive or reverse) however is quieter (but still present) when in neutral.

I heard loose spark plugs could be the cause but i had them re-torqued to the correct figure so it shouldn't be from the new plugs.

I checked the pulley arrangement and all the pulleys are spinning without much movement except for my waterpump pulley (with 4 bolts on it). Its still spinning but the pulley looks as though its loose as it moves up and down violently.

QUESTION:
I'm no mechanic, but can i just find a way to tighten those 4 screws on the pulley to stop it from jiggling? or is it something i'll need to get done properly i.e. change the waterpump + pulley etc.

thanks!
Old 03-28-13, 05:40 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Water pumps on our cars are know to go bad, so if it hasn't been replaced yet that's probably what it is.
Old 03-28-13, 05:40 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the pulley itself is bolted tight and if you grab it with your hand and have free play then I would say your water pump is shot. I personally would not drive this car until you get this fixed as you can overheat the engine causing you thousands in damage.

If you want to save some money you can purchase the Aisin water pump bellow. Aisin is the O.E manufacturer for Toyota for their waters pumps so you'll be getting the same exact part that is on your car now. The only diffrence would be that it wont have the Toyota stamp on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS300-GS350-GS450h-IS250-IS350-Engine-Water-Pump-Aisin-1610039435-/190712371448?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS250&hash=item2c6757d8f8&vxp=mtr

Last edited by B16da9; 03-28-13 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 07:59 AM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

Oh thanks heaps for the heads up, will definitely look into it. Can the car still overheat and receive damage if the "thermstat" reading in the car still functions as normal? i.e. the temp needle starts at cold and works its way to the middle of the range shown in the instrument panel in the drivers seat?

Thanks
Old 03-28-13, 10:39 AM
B16da9
Racer

If the temp is in the normal range you're ok for now but I would not drive the car. The only time I would drive it would be to a mechanic shop to have the water pump replaced unless you can do it yourself.
Old 03-28-13, 12:34 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Agreed! If that water pump goes mid-trip and you just don't notice the temps climb, you've just got yourself one BIG headache on your hands!
Old 03-28-13, 01:03 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I THINK its the alternator clutch... If your water pump is working then dont touch it... Try and take the belt off and spin the pulleys with your hands and see if you can replicate the noise.. Dont go replacing parts because other people on here are saying what they "think" it is... Take it to a certified Mechanic if your not comfortable doing that.
Old 03-28-13, 05:48 PM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
I THINK its the alternator clutch... If your water pump is working then dont touch it... Try and take the belt off and spin the pulleys with your hands and see if you can replicate the noise.. Dont go replacing parts because other people on here are saying what they "think" it is... Take it to a certified Mechanic if your not comfortable doing that.
Cheers you guys have been great help. When I take off the belt and spin the pulleys, what should a normal response be? Spins loosely in one direction? Or no spin?

I tried to grab the water pump pulley with my had and push it around but it wouldn't budge. Is the best way to access these pulleys from the top behind the coolant reservoir? Or come in from underneath?
Old 03-28-13, 08:44 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a chirping noise but to me it sounded like someone stacking plates at a restaurant lol. Turned out to be my water pump and the Lexus tech said good thing I got it changed out because the pump was in really bad condition about to break apart any moment. But my temp needle still never passed the half way mark ever.
Old 03-29-13, 05:17 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
I don't mean to come accross as rude but a water pump can still be working but also be defective at the same time. The reason why we are saying its a water pump issue is because he himself stated that the water pump pully is lose has play but the bolts seem tight. Also knowing how these pumps love to go bad (the bearing on my 250 was going bad) it leads me to beleive that the bearing is on its way out and letting the shaft move around.

Also I think you're confusing the Alternator for the A/C compresor as an alternators has no clutch.
Old 03-29-13, 09:15 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to replace my water pump and pulley assembly around 95k miles, wasn't too bad since the parts off CL vendor was about ~120 and labor was another ~100. Dealer quoted me 400 including parts so I already saved close to 50% in costs
Old 03-29-13, 01:23 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B16da9
Also I think you're confusing the Alternator for the A/C compresor as an alternators has no clutch.
I started to get a squeak from the serpentine belt area at around 59k. Did some research, and decided it was the water pump problem cause I had the pink crust everywhere too. Took it to the dealer and they said my water pump was bad, however the squeak was coming from the alternator and the whole assembly would have to be replaced at the tune of $900. I declined.

3 months later, I got a job at that same Lexus dealer. While my car was upstairs getting the latest "product updates" installed, I asked a master tech in passing what the squeak was. He said its becoming more and more common as the cars are getting older and it is indeed the alternator clutch and could be replaced for less than $200.

So, unless the tech was talking out of his ***, which I doubt, the alternator does have a clutch and that is the culprit...
Old 03-29-13, 01:28 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

While I cannot speak of this specific issue, I can confirm the alternator does have a clutch.

Jeff
Old 03-29-13, 02:44 PM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate everyones input.

Seeing as i'll be planning to keep this car for many yrs and its at 116k on the odometer, i'm thinking i'll take it to a mechanic and get them to diagnose and fix the problem. Having said that, regardless of what they think the squeak is coming from, it sounds like i should just have them replace the water pump, and pullies regardless? and the alternator clutch??

These repairs seem beyond me, but if i can buy the parts from somewhere other than the mechanic and just get them to charge for labour, i think it works out cheaper.

I'm not sure if its related, but after i turn off the car there seems to be a tick tick tick tick sound coming from beneath the engine bay area, as though something was spinning which will eventually slow down and stop? can't be the serpentine belt i don't think.

I've also noticed my fuel consumption has increased by about 2-3 more litres per 100k's. It use to sit around 10 now its more around 12-13. It could be just me driving a bit more crazy, but i don't think i've been much worse on it.

Last edited by Twisties88; 03-29-13 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 03:25 PM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
While I cannot speak of this specific issue, I can confirm the alternator does have a clutch.

Jeff
Is located internally as I do not see one on the outside, also is it a cyntrifical clutch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jiggly waterpump pulley help