IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Jiggly waterpump pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 03:57 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Is located internally as I do not see one on the outside, also is it a cyntrifical clutch?
It's a one-way clutch built into the pulley. It's not an electromagnetically controlled clutch like an A/C compressor would have.

Jiggly waterpump pulley help-czkm032.png

Source: 2006 Lexus IS250/350 New Car Features Book, Publication No. NM0140U, Page EG-40 / EG-133

Jeff
Old 03-29-13, 04:39 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Jeff, I learned something new
Old 03-31-13, 11:16 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisties88
I appreciate everyones input.

Seeing as i'll be planning to keep this car for many yrs and its at 116k on the odometer, i'm thinking i'll take it to a mechanic and get them to diagnose and fix the problem. Having said that, regardless of what they think the squeak is coming from, it sounds like i should just have them replace the water pump, and pullies regardless? and the alternator clutch??

These repairs seem beyond me, but if i can buy the parts from somewhere other than the mechanic and just get them to charge for labour, i think it works out cheaper.

I'm not sure if its related, but after i turn off the car there seems to be a tick tick tick tick sound coming from beneath the engine bay area, as though something was spinning which will eventually slow down and stop? can't be the serpentine belt i don't think.

I've also noticed my fuel consumption has increased by about 2-3 more litres per 100k's. It use to sit around 10 now its more around 12-13. It could be just me driving a bit more crazy, but i don't think i've been much worse on it.
Take the diagram Jeff posted above... On the alternator pulley there is a front plastic cap. Pop it off and spray WD-40 on and all around the pulley. Also make sure the alternator itself is not loose. This is very easy to do and you should be able to try this remedy yourself. It worked for me....Also I think the ticking noise your talking about is either the injectors or the cam gear rattle.
Old 03-31-13, 02:56 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Take the diagram Jeff posted above... On the alternator pulley there is a front plastic cap. Pop it off and spray WD-40 on and all around the pulley. Also make sure the alternator itself is not loose. This is very easy to do and you should be able to try this remedy yourself. It worked for me....Also I think the ticking noise your talking about is either the injectors or the cam gear rattle.
I second this. Worked for me too!
Old 04-01-13, 07:28 PM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
I second this. Worked for me too!
Ok so I'm keen to try this. I'm trying to pop the cap off the alternator pulley however it seems like the cap won't come off. I presume it's the circular plastic im front of the alternator pulley and it can be removed without taking off the drive belt?
I'm wedging a flat head into the crevice around its circumference but all I seem to be doing is shaving the plastic. Should I just push harder and risk fracturing the plastic cap? Or am I doing something wrong lol.
Old 04-01-13, 08:23 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I'm keen to try this. I'm trying to pop the cap off the alternator pulley however it seems like the cap won't come off. I presume it's the circular plastic im front of the alternator pulley and it can be removed without taking off the drive belt?
I'm wedging a flat head into the crevice around its circumference but all I seem to be doing is shaving the plastic. Should I just push harder and risk fracturing the plastic cap? Or am I doing something wrong lol.
I shoved a knife into mine and pried it off. Ofcourse after that I won't go back on, but it's not really necessary. All it does is cover the bolt.

The price you pay to be squeak free in your 5 yr old lexus
Old 04-01-13, 09:18 PM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

SUCCESS! i got the alternator cap off, when it removed it there was a thick layer of rust powder sitting in front of the bolt area. It was about 0.5cm thick. Gave it a wipe, put some towels under it and blasted the bajeezers into that opening with some CRC (all i have atm). Waited until the fumes dissipated and fired up ->>> no squeaking! fingers crossed it stays that way, gotta head to work soon so shall report back after a better test.

I took photos of this if anyone wants pics.
Old 04-01-13, 09:58 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear! I'd keep soaking it for a few days and you should be alright. WD40 worked for me. Squeak free for 3 days now.
Old 04-02-13, 09:47 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SUCCESS! i got the alternator cap off, when it removed it there was a thick layer of rust powder sitting in front of the bolt area. It was about 0.5cm thick. Gave it a wipe, put some towels under it and blasted the bajeezers into that opening with some CRC (all i have atm). Waited until the fumes dissipated and fired up ->>> no squeaking! fingers crossed it stays that way, gotta head to work soon so shall report back after a better test.

I took photos of this if anyone wants pics.
i'd like to see what you did. please post the pics.
Old 04-06-13, 03:14 AM
Twisties88
Driver School Candidate

Ok sorry took a while to get back, just did a 400k trip and the squeak has not come back! so this fix is still good!

So as per the pictures attached below and in the order of attachment:
1. Picture of the pulleys whilst standing from the passenger (right side whilst looking from the front). you can see the top right most pulley is all black, its actually a plastic/soft metal like aluminium cap.
What i did was get a long flathead where the tip is sharp and not too big, stick it into the groove at the circumference of the inner plastic cap, dig it in HARD and basically pry like you're opening can of fruit to get the cap to pop off.

2. Off comes the cap, you can see

3. You can see the immense buildup of rust particles which are almost like a icing sugar consistency.

4. I changed the belt just before doing this so my serpentine belt in this photo was new. I put a rag underneath the alternator pulley to catch any run-off, and sprayed the exposed pulley with the spray to get all the gunk out. Keep spraying until the run-off becomes cleaner/clear ish

5. Picture of the pulley up close, not 100% brand new, but good enough. =D I didn't bother putting the cap back on, even though i probably could have, but after prying it off, i'd be scared of it falling off whilst the engine is running. Makes it easier to give it a re-squirt of lube from time to time as part of regular maintenance from now on if you don't have a cap on it anyway.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the help! saved me heaps, and hope this helps others.

Now just wondering when to change out the waterpump b/c of talk about about overheating and $$$$$ damages.
Attached Thumbnails Jiggly waterpump pulley help-photo-2-04-13-1-21-36-pm.jpg   Jiggly waterpump pulley help-photo-2-04-13-2-53-55-pm.jpg   Jiggly waterpump pulley help-photo-2-04-13-2-53-52-pm.jpg   Jiggly waterpump pulley help-photo-2-04-13-2-59-03-pm.jpg   Jiggly waterpump pulley help-photo-2-04-13-2-56-46-pm.jpg  

Old 04-06-13, 08:52 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

If you do break the cap, it is available separately from Lexus, part number is 27416-0W050.

Jeff
Old 05-08-13, 05:57 PM
BlueOnyx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A huge thank you to all the contributors of this thread. My 2006 IS250 AWD has 180,000 km and I started to experience the squeaking under low idle and load (i.e. place the car in drive or reverse with the brakes applied). It initially started to sound like a cricket and after a week the squeaking noise became embarrassing. I thought it might be the water pump again and made an appointment for service but the soonest appointment was in a weeks time. I was concerned of a massive failure requiring a tow. I ran across this thread and thought I had nothing to lose and the water pump did not exhibit any signs of leaking. It worked like a charm and the squeaking is gone!

Thanks again to all the contributors of this thread!
Old 05-08-13, 06:06 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
I started to get a squeak from the serpentine belt area at around 59k. Did some research, and decided it was the water pump problem cause I had the pink crust everywhere too. Took it to the dealer and they said my water pump was bad, however the squeak was coming from the alternator and the whole assembly would have to be replaced at the tune of $900. I declined.

3 months later, I got a job at that same Lexus dealer. While my car was upstairs getting the latest "product updates" installed, I asked a master tech in passing what the squeak was. He said its becoming more and more common as the cars are getting older and it is indeed the alternator clutch and could be replaced for less than $200.

So, unless the tech was talking out of his ***, which I doubt, the alternator does have a clutch and that is the culprit...
i had both the alternator and the alternator clutch replaced on my car after i brought it in when i noticed an annoying chirping noise. i was told the alternator was failing but that the clutch was the source of the noise. so, in short, i also doubt the master tech you spoke with was talking out of his ***.
Old 07-14-14, 01:53 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok... So 100k I've put on her in 146k total miles, and "Lexi", my 2009 IS350, has her first problem. Ever. Ok, only if you don't count replacing the battery, which in the heat of TX, should pretty much be done every 3yrs regardless.

Anyhow, the engine makes a new noise I can't describe, sort of an added NVH "whirring/chattering" that matches engine speed. I thought it might be the VVT cam gear rattle recall, but FW Sewell Lexus dealership said the water pump bearing is bad... No leaks, never a smell of coolant, nor do I hear the cricket-esque noises described in this thread, so I'm a bit leery of their diagnosis. Lexus wanted $950 to replace the pump, but with 2hrs of elbow grease, a $40 spot to the awesome gear-head neighbor kid to help out, and $107 for what's basically the OE Aisin part from Amazon, and I'm back in business. Your thoughts are VERY appreciated!

Also, for those who've tried the "lube it up" trick with success, how has that held up over time.