IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Tires for IS250. Hankooks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 12:35 PM
carl1989
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlaznLexus
I'm currently due for new tires and did some research on these forums and noticed a lot of recommendations for the Hankook V12 EVOs.

I went to several tire shops after checking out Yelp and American Tire Depot quoted me $695 out the door for all 4 tires installed. I thought that was probably the best price I could get and just made my deposit today. I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires with about 20K miles on it. I was contemplating on buying them again but wanted to try something new.

I was hoping you Hankook owners could chime in on your experiences with these tires and if the price above is reasonable. Thanks!
Hey buddy,
I had the RE7060 tires too and felt the same about maybe buying it again. I have V12s now and have no qualms with it.
Old 04-08-13, 07:20 PM
bumminit
Driver School Candidate

I had the Michelin and they provided a nice and quiet ride. Trying out the evo now and so far so good
Old 04-08-13, 09:00 PM
IonSpray35
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Hankook Ventus V12s on my '06 350. I have over 43,000 miles on them, and just a few hundred miles ago I was told my inner tread was at 2/32s. That's 70% highway miles with gunning it, sliding it but very little hard braking. I couldn't really tell the difference between them and and the RE760s. Once when it was pretty wet out, I drove up to 30mph and 60mph and braked firm and hard and they didn't slip. That was about halfway through the tires. I've topped the car out around 144mph twice with them on a cool dry night and felt comfortable changing lanes several times (no traffic and very smooth double lane road). They're great for cruising around 100 mph. I feel like I give before the tires give. And to top it all off, they're pretty cheap. I'm obviously going to need to replace them soon; I'm considering getting them again for all of the above. But I bet I'll get to 50,000 before I do.
Old 04-09-13, 06:38 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I had these tires for about 2 1/2 yrs. They don't last very long for IS350 since they can't be rotated and mine lasted for about 30k mine before reaching 4/32 thread. They are not very good in wet condition, I had my back slipped out many times in rain. $695 seems about right.
really? i have 25k and still plenty of tread left. i never notice them slipping but i'm in CA so doesn't rain as much.
Originally Posted by dangy
I heard many good thing about the Hancook V12s but the thread life isnt very high and they're not flippable. I decided to go with Yokohama S-Drives.
Originally Posted by Kappy550
I work with tires on a daily basis and im not a fan of those. I personally went with Bridgestone Turanza's with Serenity Plus. Extremely quiet tires you dont hear the road very much and they are great in wet weather. Absolutely love them. My only problem with Hankook tires are that I have never seen a set last the entire life they were rated at.
Originally Posted by rookieIS
agreed, they are great in summer time but not so well during wet seasons
Originally Posted by Initial_K
Love them at first, they were very grippy around turn, but after 25K, they are not that great anymore. They do not grip as they use to and I turn at slower speed... plus they are noisy.

Wouldn't buy them again, will weight other options.
i still don't notice a difference
Originally Posted by Kurtz
Really?

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...brakingwet.pdf

They beat every single other tire tested in wet braking, including the legendary Michelin PS2.

Unless you guys mean "wet and 30 degrees out" in which case any summer tire will be awful.
interesting
Originally Posted by IonSpray35
I have the Hankook Ventus V12s on my '06 350. I have over 43,000 miles on them, and just a few hundred miles ago I was told my inner tread was at 2/32s. That's 70% highway miles with gunning it, sliding it but very little hard braking. I couldn't really tell the difference between them and and the RE760s. Once when it was pretty wet out, I drove up to 30mph and 60mph and braked firm and hard and they didn't slip. That was about halfway through the tires. I've topped the car out around 144mph twice with them on a cool dry night and felt comfortable changing lanes several times (no traffic and very smooth double lane road). They're great for cruising around 100 mph. I feel like I give before the tires give. And to top it all off, they're pretty cheap. I'm obviously going to need to replace them soon; I'm considering getting them again for all of the above. But I bet I'll get to 50,000 before I do.
so i guess my question is generally how many miles are these typically good for? since response are so variable here
Old 04-09-13, 04:47 PM
Hipp
Driver School Candidate

I guess I'll chime in on this one. I'm on my second set. I am a "spirited" driver. I drive my car two hours every day mostlu highway driven on my staggered stock 18" wheels. I had close to 30, 000 on my first set and im coming up to 34, 000 on my second set they are quite smooth and ive lovee both sets I cant really imagine putting anytjing else on my 2008 IS. Glad to hear the op went with these tires. Also ive had no problems in the wet
Old 04-09-13, 04:48 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I'm running them on linea corse lc818 wheels with 225/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear on an is250 awd (for what it's worth I figured i'd be more specific). They are, however, my summer wheels.

During the winter I'm running Bridgestone RE960AS tires (will switch to a full winter tire once these fully wear) on the stock 17's.

Comfort wise, I actually found them to be quite similar especially after they warm up. I noticed during colder days (around 40 degrees), they tend to develop a slight flat spot but other than that, I think they're great. Grip wise I can't say they're amazing. I had Continental DW tires (not DWS) prior and those clearly gripped better but I also found them slightly less road-compliant. I'd blame it on the stiffer sidewalls. But overall if you're not looking for extreme grip and you do fewer miles on them (such as myself which I swap wheels every season), then I think they'll do just fine. If you're willing sacrifice a bit more grip on the dry pavement, then I'd recommend checking out the DWS instead. But for me, I don't care too much for treadwear. If these can last 15k miles, I'm fine (considering I do about 2k every summer, these will last me 7 years easily).