IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS250 Oil Change Using Big Boy Topsider Multi-Purpose Vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 10:51 PM
ei79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 IS250 Oil Change Using Big Boy Topsider Multi-Purpose Vacuum

Hi people, this is only my second post so I hope its alright. I did a search and didn't find anything regarding this subject.

I have a Topsider Multi-Purpose Vacuum (picture attached) and have been using it for Mercedes-Benz oil changes for years now on 3 different models. On most Benzs the oil can be sucked out of the dipstick tube and the oil filter easily changed without going under the car. No lifting or jacking and really no mess at all.

After my C230 got totaled and being tired of expensive German repairs, I bought a 2007 Lexus IS250. It being a CPO, I got my first oil change for free and wanted to try out my Topsider on my Lexus.

My Results:

After putting my car on ramps, apox. 8 inches high, I opened the top oil cap and removed the dip stick. I then inserted the small tube of the Topsider into the dipstick shaft. On a Mercedes the tube hits an end and cannot go any further. On my Lexus there is only a small point of resistance but the tube can be pushed in past it. Then I started pumping the Topsider and removing oil. After a few minutes the Topsider was done. The main can of the Topsider had maybe only a few quarts in it. I pulled the tube out more and again pumped the Topsider and more oil started coming out.

The best point to remove the most oil seems to be achieved when the tube is pushed a little bit past the "small point of resistance". After the Topsider was again finished I tried moving the small tube in and out of the dip stick tube to see if I could get any more oil out and didn't get anymore oil.

My guess is that if you insert the tube too much, it begins to "coil" inside the oil pan. This is purely a guess.

So after all the waiting and wondering if the Topsider would remove all the oil, I removed the oil drain bolt and...DRY, not a drop. The Topsider got most of the oil from the oil pan!

Now onto the oil filter:

On a Mercedes, the oil filter is high and when you loosen it during an oil change the filter drains all of its oil. Although very doubt full I was hoping this was going to happen on my Lexus.

No such luck, a descent amount of oil drained out into the pan I had waiting just in case.

Oh well, I guess I am still going to use my Topsider so that I don't have to mess with my oil drain bolt anymore and maybe I won't need to put my car on ramps to change the oil filter next time.

I know this is a pretty rare situation but I hope someone finds it informative.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 IS250 Oil Change Using Big Boy Topsider Multi-Purpose Vacuum-topsider-01.jpg  
Old 03-20-13, 10:55 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's informative thanks. But I see how it can be convenient for those cars that have the filter located at the top of the engine and not on the underside. For our cars, we still need to get under the car to get to the filter, so wouldn't opening the drain bolt be quicker anyways? Just a thought
Old 03-20-13, 11:12 PM
ei79
Driver School Candidate

Yes, opening the drain bolt may be a little quicker but the topsider is cleaner since all the oil is sucked into the canister. There is no need to "catch" the oil. Also no need to remove the bolt, replace seal and re-torque.

I would only maybe recommend this for people that already have a Topsider since they cost around $50
Old 03-20-13, 11:41 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ei79
Yes, opening the drain bolt may be a little quicker but the topsider is cleaner since all the oil is sucked into the canister. There is no need to "catch" the oil. Also no need to remove the bolt, replace seal and re-torque.

I would only maybe recommend this for people that already have a Topsider since they cost around $50
I see, that's a good point. I was actually considering something like this a while back until someone questioned me about my filter, then I realized maybe I should reconsider. About how long does it take to pump out everything?
Old 03-21-13, 07:09 AM
Stavros
Rookie

In my opinion you won't be able to remove all the oil with a suction device such as the one in the picture. I personally prefer the "normal" way. The only thing I change on all my cars is the drain plug, I use a Fumoto drain valve so there's no need to unbolt, change O-ring and re-torque.

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Old 03-21-13, 01:31 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, no matter what I use I still get some oil on my garage floor. LOL! Very good info there!
Old 03-21-13, 02:11 PM
dong888
Pole Position

this is good info. Now i am temped to change my own oil. Must resist. lol...
Old 03-22-13, 09:00 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stavros
In my opinion you won't be able to remove all the oil with a suction device such as the one in the picture. I personally prefer the "normal" way. The only thing I change on all my cars is the drain plug, I use a Fumoto drain valve so there's no need to unbolt, change O-ring and re-torque.

I agree with this method. I do not see how sucking it through the top gets all the dirt and debri out as well as draining the oil out the bottom. I would bet the dirtiest oil is left in the bottom of the pan (at least a few tablespoons).

Maybe it does not matter either way. I will admit we are a society obsessed with changing our oil (too often).
Old 03-24-13, 10:57 PM
ei79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NQR89
I see, that's a good point. I was actually considering something like this a while back until someone questioned me about my filter, then I realized maybe I should reconsider. About how long does it take to pump out everything?
I have not timed how long it takes, I do my oil changes pretty casually. I'll try to remember to time it on my next oil change.
Old 03-24-13, 11:18 PM
ei79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stavros

The main point of my post was to show that after using the pump, I removed the drain plug and no oil came out.

If after using the pump, any amount of oil came out from the drain plug, I would have considered buying a Fumoto drain valve. I was actually considering using my Topsider Pump and the Fumoto drain valve together making my oil change faster and cleaner.

Originally Posted by DKnight350
I agree with this method. I do not see how sucking it through the top gets all the dirt and debri out as well as draining the oil out the bottom. I would bet the dirtiest oil is left in the bottom of the pan (at least a few tablespoons).

Maybe it does not matter either way. I will admit we are a society obsessed with changing our oil (too often).
To clarify some, the pump sucks the oil from a tube. This tube is placed through the dip stick tube and the tube should reach the "lowest oil point" therefore sucking oil from the "lowest oil point". The dip stick tube is not used as a straw, although I have heard of a machine at a Mercedes dealership that does do this.
Old 03-25-13, 02:26 AM
Samieee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ei79
To clarify some, the pump sucks the oil from a tube. This tube is placed through the dip stick tube and the tube should reach the "lowest oil point" therefore sucking oil from the "lowest oil point". The dip stick tube is not used as a straw, although I have heard of a machine at a Mercedes dealership that does do this.
Yes, that is how Mercedes dealerships change the oil. It has been proven that's the better method, at least for Mercedes vehicles.

Last edited by Samieee; 03-25-13 at 02:30 AM.